1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

I would like to be associated with the words of this speaker, well said sir

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

what does this mean? regular striped tie there

3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the tie looks quite nice in the entire ensemble (I'm not seeing anything obviously bad about the pants aside from bunching which I attribute to your stance...is it that the legs are a bit fuller?).

I understand the worries about light ties, but I think they can work, and certainly in the context of the earthy tones you are sporting bottom to top, the lightness of the tie doesn't strike me as as bad thing, adn the larger medallions and colorways on the tie help it from getting lost in the shirt (plus, close up, the colors on the tie give the entire outfit a nice accent...I suppose maybe too nice!).

Edit: Not fully on board with the stripe shirt, however. Lighter stripes or just a light blue shirt? But that's a nit!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:fistbump:

thanks, TP.

i just never like how those pants look in pics, despite them being very comfy. the bunching is weird and i dont like the general cut. they need to be taken in in the waist and butt and maybe then they will look better to me.

i agree that lighter ties are not easy, but i like having a few because i think they can be used to good effect.

i think the stripes are a ymmv kind of thing, i like them in that fit, but i see the nit.

5. TweedyProf

Yup.

To my understanding: this is part of breaking or playing off the rules etc, and in the context of a person who wears a variety of tasteful fits over a week, a context we don't often see as internet denizens, I think the "good effect" point is well taken.

We can play within a given fit, and also within the context of a set of fits. That's why I've come to enjoy dressing properly (t-shirts and jeans got kind of old, and obviously inappropriate for a prof!).

6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

[​IMG]

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

That fish is clearly black and orange... Not red and blue

8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

LOL - but that's what it reminded me of...and I've never watched that movie

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

yeah, as most shirts than can be worn well with a jacket and tie are on the lighter side, the challenge is combining a proper light tie with the proper light shirt so that there is enough contrast, but also in a way that looks good.

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Added this to my stripes collection

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

With good reason :nodding:

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

13. mimo

mimo Senior member

This is supposed to be about Noodles buying, not other people selling!

On which point, Noodles was advised to buy this wool challis from Drake's - in the sale too. He prevaricated as usual, so I bought it myself.

[​IMG]

It looks a little bright in the pic, washed out by the sun (shirt is blue). But...yeah, you snooze you lose, Noodles....

1 person likes this.
  14. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I am a snoozer. Procastinator.
    But I actually have a good reason.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Roodals you need to buck up and make some choices! Life moves pretty fast. If you don't turn around and buy some ties, you could miss it. :D

What's in your tie collection right now? Just the navy ties?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  16. TweedyProf

I think I had asked jrd to post his ties here for sale first, to give the participants first dibs so to speak, including Noodles. I don't mind it, a nice way to promote camaraderie in a matter of speaking. Of course, I wouldn't want this to be a B&S thread (which is not the point), but if the main posters (yourself included) want to get rid of a few quality ties that are in the spirit of the tastes being promoted by the thread, then I say go for it. Subscribers here are, I think, interested in talking about quality ties as well, in the context of helping a member build a good collection.

BTW: Nice tie! Noodles, can we get an update on what you have purchased, and perhaps what you are thinking you might purchase? A state of the union, so to speak?

17. TweedyProf

I think he has a ring to consider, which we can agree has a priority. But there were some nice pieces for sale at ET, Drakes, NMWA etc. this season weren't there?

Actually, the participants in the thread might, I suppose, have their own reports about, say a couple of choice selections acquired this season? Even if they won't go with Noodle's blue suit basis, one can learn from examples that DON'T work with his work attire. Negative lessons are good too. So is show and tell.

1 person likes this.
  18. mimo

mimo Senior member

You're a good sort, Professor.

But the ring budget is a red herring - Stitchy has agreed* to discount the cost of Noodles' first ten SF-approved tie purchases from the price of the ring.

*(I might have dreamed that, but it sounds true).

19. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I heard that stitchy wants to do noodles a solid. He has generously offered to fund the purchase of 20 EG Cappelli 7-fold ties for noodles.

So, so generous. You're a mensch, stitchy!

20. TweedyProf

That stitch, what a Mensch!