Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

L2BR

I'd wait and save for something nice. Hober grenadines seem like a great deal and at $80 for a four-fold made to your specifications, seems to me worth it over the others.

I have regretted various tie purchases that seemed like a good deal at the time but just weren't worth it. Recently, I saved up for a Vanda which I just received. It meant not doing work in cafes for quite a while (I like cafes, am productive, drink lots of coffee, people watch when I'm bored). But forgoing 35 coffees and snacks wasn't actually that hard. That paid for the tie and shipping.

Once the tie was in hand, it was immediate and easy to appreciate how beautiful the fabric is, how well-constructed, how well it knots and drapes. Six fold, unlined Holland and Sherry gunclub fabric, black, blue, white...sounds nice right? Vanda's are definitely more than Hobers, but if you don't wear ties that often, having a few special ones I think is is worth saving up for (I posted a pic in the Vanda thread). So, I'd recommend holding back on the buying urge and save for something you'll happily wear a lot.

2. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Very small amounts in thin layers but as soon as you start seeing that mirror you want to keep going. You got!!:slayer:

3. jungleroller

Also back to polishing etc. Use a little at a time. You don't need a lot. The more you use the more difficult it is to take off. It's like polishing/waxing a car.

Personally I bust out a couple pairs of shoes every couple weeks to a month depending on wear/weather. If you don't want to do all this I'm sure there are people/businesses in the are that can take care of them for you. I find doing it myself somewhat relaxing.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Crat's method works very nice on my shoes. I made a few modifications to build the shine quicker but some shoes are stubborn.

5. jungleroller

Que? Can you share? Your shine is incredible!

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks! I usually like to build a first layer with a little wax and apply it with my finger and rub it until it gets "dry". Then spary a few drops of weather and buff with a cotton cloth. Then apply a few layers of Crat's method. And finish with a… I don't know how it is called in English but I use like a lady sock (?) and give a final buff. Don't know why that brings a bit more of shine to the shoe.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alright. So. I'm going to be getting another jacket next month. I want it to be blue. Because I like blue more than I like variety. And I want it to be interesting. While also being subtle enough to be worn almost as frequently as your standard navy blazer. So thinking small scale patterns or texture. Please suggest random fabrics, with pictures (of the fabric or of a jacket made of it) so I can get some ideas about what I'd like. Feel free to suggest anything else you want (as in the Spirit of Noodle).

Here is my blue jacket rotation at present. I've done the best to make these true to color.

[​IMG]
    Linen-wool, 2 patch pocket 3 roll 2

[​IMG]
    Linen 2 patch pocket

[​IMG]
    Wool 2 patch pocket

[​IMG]
    Wool 3 patch pocket

[​IMG]
    Wool cashmere 3 patch pocket

[​IMG]
    linen 2 patch pocket

[​IMG]
    Linen wool 3 patch pocket

[​IMG]
    wool 2 patch pocket

[​IMG]
    wool double breasted, peak lapel, flap pocket

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I don't have the color but are you missing a Spanish blue?

9. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

The problem is that they are all beautiful. Really. I like blue like the brightest ones.

10. Claghorn

Well, it isn't really a problem since those are all of jackets I already own. The problem is finding a versatile blue fabric that I don't already own.
    [​IMG]

11. kulata

kulata Senior member

I don't see a birdseye or nailhead pattern in there.

12. Claghorn

3rd is birdseye, or close to it.

Also, you check out Butler's selection in the curated thread?

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

Ok not clear with screen privacy thingy. Would suggest a wide herringbone then or fresco blazer suit

14. Claghorn

BUY RUDALS A DRINK
    Rudals is coming to Korea for his wedding, and I'm going out with Rudals this coming Sunday. If you'd like to buy him a drink, message me and I'll give you my paypal information. You can specify the drink. Any left over (I don't know how much individual drinks cost!) will be pooled together to buy more drinks for Rudals. I will upload each drink, as well as who it is from (if desired).

2nd to last is a fresco-ish (I think "fresco" actually refers to a specifcally to Minnis) and a blazer suit. In fact, #1, #7, and #8 are all blazer suits (though only #7 is meant to really function as a suit in terms of even approaching that level of business attire; maybe #8 as well).

Wide herringbone has been suggested and is definitely a top candidate. I'd also love to see if I or B&T can scrounge up something in houndstooth that resolves to solid fairly quickly.

15. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Ok, clags I spent all morning going through WAYWRN trying to find a particular jacket I remember. I remember it being a little more different than your current offerings than maybe it actually is, but it's post #67161. Maybe that helps, maybe not. Also, in post #63282 someone quotes you as already having commissioned a herringbone. Did that never come to fruition, or what? Good luck finding the perfect fabric, I'm sure it will be great.