1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Now I understand why you said you despise your green ties, heh. That one's rather hideous in my opinion. Also, I wouldn't even call that "green", at least the way it's appearing on my monitor.

Last edited: May 11, 2018

2. Blake Stitched Blues

Blake Stitched Blues Senior Member

i do, but we don't have much of a summer here. Suede pennies are very nice too.

3. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior Member

Ha, I can't say that I disagree. It's what I could find on a quick timeframe and a small budget. The other one I have is a block stripe of forest green and dark grey, but it's also got some cashmere or something in it making it a bit fuzzy and casual (and certainly cold-weather) looking, so not really good with worsted suits. I'd also love to grab a dark green sports coat and not have to worry about the tie so much. Maybe when the budget allows, I will consider that option. For now, the hunt for a non-hideous green tie will continue.

4. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

5. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

What’s a “budget” tie, out of curiosity? Something like a Hober 4-fold (tipped or rolled edges) will run you about $85, with ~$10 shipping...that would probably be my option, assuming it’s feasible.

6. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior Member

The definition will vary, of course, but the last time I was in a wedding, the couple gave all groomsmen matching ties as their gift. It felt cheap and tied poorly. I was curious and looked it up on amazon...$8. I, of course, kept my mouth shut and smiled for the pictures. And at the next wedding I attended, I wore my Sam Hober grenadine and, of course, smiled again.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

8. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

I love weddings, but being IN the wedding party is almost always a truly awful experience, from a menswear perspective.

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I was a groomsman a few weeks ago. I wore an Adidas track suit. Black, of course, because it was after sunset.

10. Claghorn

Last (and first) wedding I was in I wore blue jeans, white button down, gray knit, and suede chukkas. This was the requested attire (jeans, white shirt, brown shoes, brown belt, gray tie).

:(

11. Darkside

Darkside Distinguished Member

=(

12. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

In America. In other countries guests aren’t dressed by the bride and groom. I was in my brother-in-law’s wedding party and we were in morning coats. It was great. Loved it!

13. xyzzy_j

xyzzy_j New Member

Dear god, I'm so sorry.

I don't necessarily expect a wedding to be an exhibition of extravagant sartorial splendour but it has to be a cut above that, you'd think.

14. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

Urgh!
    I went to a Tex Mex wedding once. Traditional church service with full on Catholic communion etc. The bride was resplendent in a traditional white wedding dress. The groom wore a black band collar shirt, black jeans, cowboy boots and a black leather blazer.
    During the after party they engaged in some tradition whereby the groom’s mates all grabbed him and semi-violently stripped him down to his under crackers.

15. Claghorn

It was outside in Texas in April and I didn’t have to wear a jacket. That’s my silver lining.

I probably was the only groomsman comfortable wearing a necktie and that would have been comfortable wearing a suit, so I was definitely outnumbered on that front. Probably goes for the groom as well (who wore a brown jacket, jeans, and a green knit I lent him).

As soon as the vows were said, I took the necktie off because my years of SF have made me uncomfortable wearing jeans with a necktie.

My uncle (just four years older than me) just got married. He wore a leather jacket with a black shirt and black necktie. His wife wore a white wedding dress with a black leather jacket. Neither are bikers: he’s a mechanical engineer with shoulder length hair and she’s a bassist in a band that tours regionally. Groomsmen all wore suits though.