Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why is she starting from scratch?!

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Lol.
    Who knows...but it will be fun

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Yikes. That seems so needlessly wasteful.

4. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

She is just young and bought relatively cheap clothes and wasnt too materialistic and thus not much in her closet. She gave some to her sister and others she threw out.

5. Claghorn

I'm the same age as her (or a year older?). If I throw away all my clothes will you replace them with bigger and better things? As a bonus, I will also not have sex with you until we are married ^^

That being said, I get it. Korean clothiers put zero emphasis on quality. It's assumed that you won't wear anything past the end of the season. I've lived in Korea for 5 years, and outside what has been made for me, I own absolutely nothing (minus shoes from Unipair) purchased from stores here.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i am teh sorry, but i do not love it. :(

---

rudals, not sure what exactly it is, but the pants do not look 100%. probably just your body shape not being perfect for those pants. most pants OTR are not perfect on most people.

7. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Honestly, this could be quite fun...you're both young, hopefully you get a say...you might end up back at NM though...

8. TweedyProf

And WTF happened in WAYWRN? I took a two week break from it (unsubscribed) and darn it...bloody gray trousers and blue blazers everywhere when I got back.

I wore blue blazer and gray trousers the other night. Actually, not a beginners fit. Sure, a basic color combo, but the trick is to not look like a museum guard. Here, accessories, shoes, texture, tone etc is what you have to play with, and in the right way. There's a challenge, not a hugely difficult one, but if WAYWRN shows anything, it's that accessorizing is a challenge for many even after you get basic color combos down (challenge for me too).

[BTW, I'm not asking for comments on the people at issue in the blow out...do not want to pollute this thread with the remnants of the acrimony, just wanted to make a comment on the point about blue/gray].

9. Claghorn

There was no acrimony. Just a single member and everyone else telling him that he's very wrong. Guy's a wingnut--though apparently an extraordinarily helpful one when it comes to thrifting--and nobody takes what he says seriously. Yet he does seem to get people to argue with him (me included).

And yeah, blue + gray just allows a lot more freedom than anything else. Super neutral, so you can do a lot of exploration with shirts, shoes, ties and squares. You could of course do that with other, less safe, combinations, but not only is that more difficult, even if you pull it off it'll end up looking very busy and difficult to appreciate or at least exceedingly try-hard.

10. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

You like how it looks, but you wouldn't wear it in public? Huh?

11. TweedyProf

It's hard to not want to take up arguing; reading the thread, I felt the very strong urge to make comments. But best to just move on.

On the blue and gray, a good basis to start working on tie/PS/shirt combos. Personally, though, I prefer blue on top, beige, tan or brown with appropriate contrast on bottom depending on the season (not taupe, i.e. brown/gray). That is, something richer and more saturated. If gray, I like lighter gray as opposed to true mid gray.

Edit: light gray like the one's you just posted on WAYWRN...

12. Claghorn

I like how it looks. But it's also very dated. And I dislike looking (overly) dated.

13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Oh, I see. I do think the only element there that's aged terribly is the coat -- and since the coat itself is dated, that's a issue.

14. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Clag, you are that young?! She was born in 1989. Dang you call me 형님 next time! LOL
    Yes, she pretty much bought whatever looked good and they normally were cheap stuff. Think of...Foverever 21.
    I think it will be fun shopping with her...only if I get to buy something too!

Will @ Field said that he see this problem a lot with OTR. I thought I just had flat butt.
    Btw, I went to Tiffany's to get my ring size and while waiting asked for a ring with the same specs.
    All I can say is that I am very thankful to you and let's give a little credit to Clags. But I'd rather shell out at NM on suits rather than spend a penny at Tiffany's. YUK

Yeah, I don't think I will let her buy crappy cheap stuff. But she keeps insisting that I need to stop buying brand name clothing and go for best bang for your bucks clothing. She's already appalled at NM prices.

15. Claghorn

Oh, I thought she was born in 86.