1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

noodles, sell it on the forum. You could get $300 to 600 out of that one if it's in good condition. A recent model Zegna in a staple color will hold its value fairly well

Do it for the sake of getting it out of your closet, and focusing on what fits you. Don't need ill-fitting stuff laying around.

Plus, you can reinvest in what fits.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

More like 2 years or a baby.

Ugh. Wow, you're seriously into bodybuilding. Good for you.
    I usually just weigh myself and if I am off target, I just skip a meal or reduce my intake AND exercise.
    That was pretty dumb because I was exercising off of an empty stomach.
    Now, when I had control over what I ate, I stayed away from ALL carbs (rice and noodles) and sugar (candy and sodas).
    I would eat veggies, almond milk, chicken breast, filet mignon, and fruits.
    Now, all that is tossed out the window and now I am eating choc-chip cookies, cheese cakes, rice, ice cream, smoothies, pastas (tonight), and on and on it goes.

1/2 a kg is probably a pound if I am correct. Too lazy to google it.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

1kg is about 2.2 pounds, so you're correct. Your single eating pattern sounds very good for gaining muscle and is just healthy in general, low carb and high protein. Maybe subtly bring up healthy food with your wife?

Bodybuilding is a hobby for me, just like clothes. I enjoy lifting weights, and the health benefits are a bonus, just like I enjoy wearing nice clothes and well thought out combinations, and the fact that I look well dressed (most of the times!) is a bonus.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Now that my ties collection is in fairly good shape, I say it is time to efffing drop the bomb on my suit collection.
    Kill that b@stard child Zegna suit and sell 2 RLBL suits.
    Then start over with a nice suit from NMWA or bespoke from Field.

3 people like this.
  5. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

I have an ice cream problem. I just finished off the last of it last night though, so that a good thing. . . . . wait.

3 people like this.
  6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

There's nothing better than a nice warm chocolate chip cookie...oh no...I am walking out to get one right now.

@Monkeyface
    I have mentioned that I really need to control my diet. She's packed me tofu and apples for lunch this entire week. Then a potato salad...bummer.

1 person likes this.
  7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Building muscle looks great in casual clothes and at the beach, but is a real bitch for buying OTR suits. I lifted seriously for 17 years until the kids came along and I couldn't spend 6 days a week in the gym anymore. Now, I do a modified routine a few days a week where I hit the basics in lifting lighter weight, but do so without any breaks or rest so that my heartrate stays in my target zone. It gives me definition and keeps me fairly lean as the lifting increases your metabolism due to your body having to work to build your muscles back up. I've never taken supplements or additional protein, so have no advice to give on this.

As for buying suits, my advice is to avoid buying a significant number of suits/jackets at one time. If you're a five suit wardrobe guy, buy one every year. If you need 10, buy two every year. And always buy what fits you at that time, not what you think will fit if you lose weight or get back into the gym This will prevent you from buying clothes you hope to fit into or having to buy an entirely new wardrobe at one time due to nothing fitting.

My final advice is that you may end up pushing yourself into MTM or bespoke if you keep it up long enough. I have such a disproportionate difference between my chest and back that I essentially need a 44L in front and a 40L in the back. For years, I just bought a 42L and called it a day, until Despos pointed this out as the reason for my lapels bowing and throwing off the fit of the jacket. It's MTM for me from now on, now that I see how much better it looks in the front.

5 people like this.
  8. luv2breformed

In all seriousness, MF I could use some advice. I carry my extra weight in my thighs and hips so I am trying to lose about 10 lbs. However I'd like to add a little bit of muscle in the chest as I really lack any pectoral definition. I am basically doing 1 mile a day (I hate running), additionally several basic exercises like wall sits, planks etc. I rotate Chest/Tri and Back/Shoulder/Bi days throughout the week. I do NOT have access to a barbell or anything major like that. I am pretty much doing some basic dumbbell exercises plus a couple of machines. I've adjusted my diet to remove ice cream as of last night . . . :p

Anything I'm missing?

9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

MF is the expert but how about squats or cycling?

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thank for showing the perspective of someone who's been lifting for a long time! I'm noticing that my lapels are starting to bow, and OTR is already tough because most trousers are too slim in the thighs. I'm more than ok with MtM/bespoke being my only options in the future. I think I'd move towards that regardless of my body type.

11. luv2breformed

Edit: Forgot also trying to do a lot of core with variations on crunches pretty much

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

This is you then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Little_boy.jpg[img]

This is you now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Man

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Fat_man.jpg

2 people like this.
  13. luv2breformed

I'm staying far away from squats. I squatted a ton in high school and attribute some of my large thigh area problem to them. I was squatting nearly 2.5x my body weight. I thought I was the bomb for crushing all the linemen that were double my size. Now my knees are paying (and I'm young) and I've got a very disproportionate body shape in the wrong direction for a male. Perhaps there are ways of weight training in the legs that do not increase mass but I don't know of them and don't want to chance it.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I'm by no means an expert, but you can't lose fat in a specific area by exercising that area. Your body 'decides' where it deposits and removes fat. You can do leg exercises all day long, but your body might use up your belly fat, and vice versa. The only way to make sure you lose it is to eat less than your body uses, and you'll eventually see the fat disappear.

Calories in < Calories out=fat loss
    Calories in > Calories out=muscle or fat gain

1 person likes this.
  15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

True that Monkeyface.
    I biggest beef with losing weight is I lose weight in my face first so I turn into a freaking grandpa with wrinklie face. What the heck?!
    Then my legs and the belly is the last to go.

16. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

ZOMG my Vass MTO shoes are in the US!!!

2 people like this.
  17. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

For those with little time (perhaps because of little children), get yourself the smallest effective gym, and most effective short workout I've ever known. I present, Dr. Evil.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

So you have 2 goals:
    1) lose 10lbs of fat
    2) gain muscle in upper body (chest/back/shoulders?)

Gaining muscle while losing fat at the same time is nearly impossible. I'd focus on losing fat first and then start working on gaining muscle. This doesn't mean you should stop lifting weights, but it's not your priority at the moment.

Calculate how many calories you need on an average day to maintain status quo. I'm assuming this would be between 2500-3000kcal, but it depends on your lifestyle, current fat percentage, muscle mass etc.

Once you know this number, subtract about 1000kcal, an that's how much you should eat a day. If I remember correctly, a 3500kcal deficit equals burning about 1lbs of fat, but you can google that.

When it comes to diet, high protein, low carb and medium-high fat. So lots of lean meats and veggies. No sugars, rice, potatoes, ice cream, etc!! Stay away from them! Don't drink any soda, and maybe alcohol once or twice a week, but stay away from beer.

When it comes to exercise, you should aim to lift weights 3 times a week, and do cardio 2-3 times a week as well. The more calories you burn with lifting weights/cardio, the higher your deficit and the faster you'll lose fat. What you do for cardio doesn't really matter, running, cycling, whatever floats your boat. Aim to burn at least 500kcal with cardio on exercise days.

You could lose those 10lbs in about 5-10 weeks, depending on how dedicated you are.

When it comes to a weight lifting routine, everyone has their own preferences, and a lot of the routines are equally good for more advanced people. Push/pull split, body part split, etc. I'd avoid most isolation exercises such a curls. Do exercises that will exercise a larger part of your body. Bench press, dead lifts, pull ups, chin ups and even squats. Squats are probably the best ab exercise, together with dead lifts. But don't forget, abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym! You'll be eating at a deficit, so don't worry about gaining muscle in your legs, it won't happen.

Do 3 sets for 8-15 reps per exercise, and make sure you can just make the last rep, but only just! Focus on good form, even if that means you'll have to lower your weights. Watch YouTube videos of good form and Ty to mimic that. It'll be the difference between snapping a muscle/blowing your knees and being a healthy and strong individual.

Once you've lost the 10lbs of fat, up your calorie intake to at least 3500-4000kcal a day, and you'll start gaining muscle with little fat. How many calories you need depends again on many different factors. Eating 3500 a day and don't see any difference in a month? Up it to 4000 and see what happens. Don't start eating ice cream, keep eating healthy food! Success really depends on finding what's right for you, and sticking to it!

This might sound tedious, but it's a lot of fun to see yourself getting healthier. Good luck!

3 people like this.
  19. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

If you need videos on form and movement execution head over to www.elitefts.net and check out their "So You Think You Can Squat/Bench/Deadlift" series

3 people like this.
  20. luv2breformed

Awesome, thanks guys!

1 person likes this.