• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should, its awesome.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did somebody say Laphroaig? I bought this for my team to commend them for putting extra effort during audit prep period. We're pooping this bottle open this Friday to celebrate. Then I'll go home to an Aged 15 years
LL
Try this dude, if not already of course...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As the personal details come to light, our man Clags gets more and more interesting.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What would you wear them with today? To me they're not suit ties. The first one I could maybe find a way to wear with tweed. The second one I'm unsure how to use.

Umbel

Honest question. Why restrict a small scale silk PoW to tweed (cf. a rough wool version)? For example, what's wrong with a navy jacket? I understand that it is an altered wedding tie, but I can see it looking quite nice the right navy odd jacket (e.g. the copper/navy one at NMWA was always calling out to me).

This is where the clash of conventions and how things look always raise questions for me. In the silk PoW case, if there is a clash, I would opt for the latter (i.e. that it looks smart). But what do I know.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
derp nvm

Last edited:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Changing gears a moment. Can we talk about collars. I understand there is preference, but is there big no nos or levels of formality beyond bd vs no bd? I've been getting my shirts successfully from Proper Cloth and I'm happy with their mtm fit and fabrics thats why I stick with them. Here's their main collar page: http://propercloth.com/collar-styles

My shirts as of now are comprised of the following collar types.

Most of my shirts are President Spread

I have one or two in President Point even though I don't care much for it.

As of recent I picked up a couple with a Milano collar where the collar goes well beneath my jacket

I've been thinking the Milano might be too much and the President Spread not enough so I was eyeing a Londoner

Or a Richard Cutaway

And I definitely need some button downs so I was eyeing a soft Ivey BD

After seeing Kamakura shirts theres not any roll to this one sadly.

Thoughts and insight appreciated.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jung, I thought that shirt you wore for the white shirt FC was spot on. Just saying...
That was one of two of my Milano collars. Thanks, I just wasn't sure if those collars are too much.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Milano looks great, but would look even better with a little less tie space.
Interesting. I might try some 4iH action. I wonder if Italians use dem knots...
fing02[1].gif

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Monkeyface

Funny...I wouldn't go less on tie space...the top pic is better, I think.

JR. Are you tying half-windors?

Edit: yes, FIH!

Last edited:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Monkeyface

Funny...I wouldn't go less on tie space...the top pic is better, I think.

JR. Are you tying half-windors?
There both from the same day so sb the same. That one was a half windsor. It depends on the tie and collar. I used to only tie 4iH because that's all I knew up until about a year ago and started branching out. I think a half windsor lends itself to most of my ties, collars and situations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads