Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Yep. Speaking as someone who is 6'1 with a size 12 shoe, not knowing how to pick the correct leg opening and tapering could leave me looking like a mini golf putter.

So it ends up working out well that I hate skinny jeans and overly tapered stuff to begin with.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

my goal in life is simply to please you.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I don't want to be too prescriptive about it. But I think elongated shoes work well with what Vox might call "The Nailed Down Look". It's reminiscent of late 19th-century style, the caricatures of which show very very slim shoes, e.g.:

[​IMG]

Those types of shoes don't work as well with the drape cut that came later IMHO.

I didn't want to write a post suggesting that you or anyone else is doing it all wrong. In particular because you have to think about the shapes of your clothes as they relate to the shapes of your body, much more so than you have to think about your complexion when choosing colors. So everyone will have to make different compromises.

But I do want to encourage people to think about the way the shapes of a coat, trouser, shirt collar, tie, and shoe work together, rather than just thinking about color and pattern combinations, or even "fit" as separate from silhouette.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

An example of when pants and jacket don't "fit" with the jacket being a bit too tailored for the pants. They work well with other items, but not together.

[​IMG]

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I agree that that example doesn't work that well. It is possible to make an interesting silhouette out of a fitted top and a looser-bottomed trouser though. Pants have to be trim through the hips though (think 70s era tight t-shirt, bell-bottom pants). I seem to recall Ralph Lauren doing something similar a couple of years ago as well. It's definitely very stylized-looking, but I think it's attractive on a tall and slim person.

6. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

damn! another point to think of. I need to make a checklist.

One thing I just thought of to help the transition of skinny ankles/legs to large shoes is cuffs on the trousers. You all probably already know that though.

7. in stitches

i think SWD is better at coherently mixing silhouettes. i just think it lends itself more towards that mode of dress, or at least its harder to make it look right in MC. just my opinion.

8. Claghorn

9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

dude my wedding tie?

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

To mix silhouettes, MC would need to have silhouettes. There are essentially three: the soft-shouldered SF house style, the excessively tight BL/GQ look, and the traditional American cut you see mostly on our thrifters/eBayers. MC is fairly rigid and proscriptive -- it's often hostile toward even well-accepted stylistic choices such as structured shoulders -- so it shouldn't surprise that people aren't successfully combining various influences. For the most part, MC's primary reference is MC, while SWD draws inspiration from many sources.

11. Claghorn

I'm trying to think what one would need to mix silhouettes, but I feel loose on bottom is easier than loose on top (as bottom heavy looks better than top heavy imo, especially if you'll have a collar and tie to add some balance). Going through my pinterest board thing to see if I have any examples of what I'd imagine it would look like. In my head, it looks like something from the first half of the 20th century.

You already bought it, right? If not, that Canali will work well with all those navy suits you love.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Noodles have u not ordered a damn wedding tie? Isn't you wedding t-minus 2 weeks or something?

GET A GRIP MAN!!!

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

those pants look a little ill fitting, no?

14. in stitches

well said as usual, doc.

i do not like that one. but i do like the smaller scale drakes. either way, the wu PoWs are better imho.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I've not even gotten the ring or the wedding band!!!
    I just got done prep'n for our company's audit and I am just starting to recover from sleep deprivation.