Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I told my soon-to-be-wife that if she made me wear a bow tie, that is ALL I am going to wear at the wedding. Nothing else.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Re: the versatility of SCs discussion...I am somewhat just repeating what archibaldleach said a few pages back but I think the right way to think about versatility is not to think about the largest number of possible items that a given SC goes well with, but whether it goes well with the types of items you wear most.

For me, in summer I am wearing almost exclusively cotton and linen trousers that are very light...usually in the cream/beige area. And usually light blue, pink, or white shirts. The brown shepard's check goes with all of that. The beige herringbone is more difficuilt, because it will be too close to a lot of those trousers. For that one, I've got to stick really to just the white trousers, which is more limiting. The brown coat won't go that well with the white trousers, but I'd still consider it more versatile, since it goes better with what I wear more frequently. The light blue with red overcheck is the least versatile IMHO. I have a similar one that is gorgeous, but I end up admiring it in my closet more often than actually wearing it.

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Rudals
    Nice Vandas...do post in the Vanda thread when you have them tied and worn (or not). Been trying to get people to post more there, much less active than the Hober thread though I know there are lots of people who have Vandas in SF. Great these are still available.

Help the newly married couple out!

5. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

thoughts on theses squares?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I am always at a loss on pocket squares, even though I like them. I stick with the staple white linen, and some basic solid color squares. Would like to experiment with this in the future, once I round out my wardrobe...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

7. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I am in the same camp as @JubeiSpiegel and I just stick with white linen. I want to go back to white silk though 'cus linen can get too fat.
    Anyhow, I quite clueless when it comes to PSs but I think 1st and 4th one look good.

8. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

I almost purchased 1 and 3 for myself. I already own one too much like 2. However I did not because I think that when I get to squares I want to get large motifs instead of patterns. I think if you don't have any serviceable squares to begin with those might be a good starting point. I already have a few small patterns so I'm looking for something more like the following from Kent Wang:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YMMV

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

JR, I also almost purchased #1 a few weeks ago, so that seems like a good bet. I wouldn't wear 2 much as it just wouldn't work with what I normally feel comfortable with (navy jackets). Or at least, it wouldn't work in the way I'd want a pocket square to work with a navy jacket.

L2B, I'd get the Great Wave. A friend of mine recently got it and it's lovely in person. I got the Egyptian Zodiac, which I like...but I think I would have been happier with the wave. There is a lot of blue, yeah, but enough cream that it would work well with brown ties (which I wear more than any other color).

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Noodels, nice pick ups, really really nice!

11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I'll be rocking them when this freaking weather figures out what it wants to do. It appears to be having an identity crisis. It's warm one day and it snows the next day.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

@unbel - that was very well said. as a note, i do not think most people here dress as seasonally as you do.

13. AJL

AJL Senior member

Agree it's well stated, though I'd point out it's a perspective better suited to those whose style and tendencies are already fairly well determined, not so much for those of us still trying to make our way through the sartorial wilderness. Appreciate the color matching suggestions, nonetheless.

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

How we build our wardrobes is as much a function of where we are in building it as it is what we want it to be.

Starting out, it's best to build in broad strokes, so that as a person's taste in CM coalesces, most of those early purchases don't get eliminated from rotation. It doesn't always work, of course. I figured, perhaps incorrectly, that navy and navy ground ties could be worn with much of what I intended to purchase. As it turns out, I don't particularly like gray suits, nor do I have much of an occassion to wear them, so though I am happy to have a few navy ties, the ten I own is several too many.

I think most staples are staples because of their general versatility. I can't think of any direction in CM which wouldn't involve a number of cersatile staples.

I guess the best approach to integrating versatility into building a wardrobe is:

Starting from scratch, both in terms of items and direction--general versatility

Figuring out what you want your wardrobe to look like when completed--versatility within the direction you intend to take.

Near complete--versatility with regards to what already own.

I don't think the first step can be skipped. I'm not sure we can accurately determine the direction we want to build in without growing comfortable in a CM base from which to grow from.

15. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Right. That's why I never really got on board with the whole "every man should own these things" ...

Because while there might be some semblance of truth, the reality is some of those things can wait a while if you don't use them a lot - like both a navy suit and a charcoal suit. If you work in a casual setting and go to 1 or 2 weddings max per year, you don't need both right away. And you need other stuff more than those things.

Just picture a general framework and then operate within that.

The issue, of course, is some people inherently have terrible taste and a bad eye for what fits and what doesn't. So it's never a bad idea to get some opinions on said framework.