Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Also, is this an abomination? I am looking out for ties that are similar to neats but aren't as formal. At first I thought this would be perfect as the dots break up the "floral", but now I'm not so sure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i like the meermin shape better. i need a pair of meermins in my closet.

i like the tie, but in general, gray ties are pretty hard to get a lose of use from. i think with the blue circles though it would be great with a navy or brown suit, assuming the suit color provides proper contrast with the tie.

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

L2B, I have those black captoes and snuff suede from Meermin. I also have those Carmina that Jungle posted from GFW. All three are great...Carmina a step up in quality, but the Meermin are an amazing value.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Luv2B:

I have the Andrew Lock brown captoes and really like the last. They are made in Spain and the last looks and fits surprisingly similar to Carmina's Rain last. The leather is not the best quality and appears to have been corrected in order to get more shine. The overall build quality and the quality of the soles is very nice. They also fit a little on the wide side, which works very well for me. I wear mine all time, but I'm also in a suit most days of the week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Huh? White shirts are the quintessential CBD shirt. While light blue shirts can look better with a fair number of ties, white is definitely the more conservative choice. Also, for someone who wears suits regularly, white shirts are fairly useful. To be clear, I agree that a white shirt with a navy tie with white pindots is fine. It's the not wearing white shirts combined with saying you look at things from a CBD point of view that I cannot make sense of.

6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Huh?
    I think you misunderstood me or didn't make myself clear.
    I was saying, from a CBD point of view that white shirts are fine.
    But most people here are not CBD so they might view white shirts differently.
    We're both in agreement.

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Good to know. I probably inferred something I shouldn't have about your views on CBD from your statement that you've stopped wearing white shirts since joining SF. :cheers:

8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

It's all good~
    [​IMG]

9. tattoodobem

tattoodobem Well-Known Member

I love this. I think they look great with light grey trousers. I have similar ones but mine are reversed stiching and rubber sole. The color, at least in mine, changes a lot. They get lighter with more sun and darker with less it's like they get more appropriate for the weather they are at. I dont't think you can go wrong with this. I need darker colored ones to use with darker trousers or just to change a bit. but i love them.

i'm waiting for a green grenadine to go with my eyes :D and a brown, both from exquisite trimings.

[​IMG]

I don't post a lot, i prefer reading. i have to search a lot and think about what i buy a lot to get what i need in good prices. I have to build my wardrobe slowly and i'm short so i have to always consider my height. I have some stuff that are expensive and cheap stuff. i ebay a lot too.

I bought a light grey jacket too to have a color change and to wear with my darker trousers, navy ties, etc. full canvas, 100% cashmere and 3/2 roll that also gave me something different from what i have. My height was in the equation too.
    i guess first people's thought is: grey? yes but lighter i'm afraid it will get dirty easily. i have a dark brown one already and two navy.

10. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Just dropped off my suit at Fields in Georgetown and have to say service is excellent. Will asked the right questions and I was glad that I was able to have an intelligent conversation about suits.

Regarding bespoke suits, he asked when I will be wearing the suit and for what occasions. He had various fabric but I saw Loro piana in shark skin grey (dark and light) and other colors. He said he should be able to guide me thru it. I maybe go with a dark grey sharkskin.

12. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at this my bespoke vintage that I built with my own hands ... look at the node as it is perfect. And look in the first picture that makes the bow tie without any support.

Of course, for those who do not know my bespoke vintage ties can also have the e-mail. Just visit my website ... find the link below.

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

this post makes me happy.

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Speaking of red stripe shirts (in general, regardless of scale)

[​IMG]

@mktitsworth

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm generally on the look out for a good red striped shirt (something closer to a burgundy) as well as a nice gray striped shirt.