1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alllllrighty

1 person likes this.
  2. ByTheOcean

ByTheOcean Active Member

To avoid huge quotes filling up the thread, I'm just gonna answer to you here.

First of all, thank you for taking your time and reading my questions and long text! I greatly appreciate it!

As I stated, my budget right now is around $800, but when I've spent that I'm completely broke until I can get a job. For the semi-close future, I tend to feel most comfortable paying about(per item):
    $100-120 for shirts, $130-150 for sweaters, preferably around $150 on trousers and jeans, $300 for shoes(less for sneakers and such), $50 t-shirts, outerwear depends entirely on the item - but I anything over $400 hurts, around $250-300 is acceptable(but expensive) for summer-spring-autumn outerwear.

I do have a blue blazer actually, but as I said, I don't get many chances to wear it. I also don't really like it too much, since it has got quite built up shoulders, which makes it look a bit boxy on me.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said.
    My current plan is something likes this: First, a shirt from an MTM-service(Shirtonomy?) in white or striped(not sure about fabric either). I also think that I'm gonna get a green linen overshirt from Drake's. Then, probably trousers if I can find a pair that I like that aren't too expensive. After that I'd like to pick up a safari jacket when I find one that looks good but isn't crazy expensive. Then, after that, some casual shoe for just relaxing in the summer(my family bought a new boat yesterday so I'm gonna spend lots of time just chilling in cozy coast-towns and on bridges).

Does that seem like a good plan? Or should I prioritize differently? Maybe jeans before linen/cotton trousers, since jeans can be worn year-round? Maybe some sweater that is wearable in summer?

3. winghus

winghus Senior member

Safari Jacket:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/25249412041...49&var=551383431100&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Braces/Suspender question:

I want to preempt this by saying it probably has something to do with the fact that my jackets are on the more fitted side, but is it natural, or has anyone else had their braces cause visible bulges, especially around the buckle area, and if you're moving, or if you have a wallet inside your pocket, etc? I have a couple of albert thurston wallets. It seems to only affect lighter fabrics jackets. Is this a thing anyone else has experienced?

5. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Hello from SWD... I need a new 3-season suit. I live in Japan. Any recommendations for RtW suits around $800-$1000?

Ring Jacket? Tomorrowland house brand?

6. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

You're in Tokyo right? I visited there last April and Ring is certainly worth a shot, although I'm pretty sure it will be more expensive than that and the cut doesn't seem to work for a lot of people. I don't know Tomorrowland. You could try the Isetan Men's department store in Shinjuku - they seemed to have some decent stuff. Or if you want to spend a lot more, Ethan, formerly of The Armoury, has a shop called Brycelands in Shibuya. And I know I dropped into a place in Ginza that had a good selection too, right near Ginza station, but I can't remember what it was called so that's little help. On the whole, there were a lot of suit shops all over tokyo but most of them were cheap.

If you ever get down to Osaka, however, there is a small shop called Kubo Classic Style that does RTW (a fairly small supply) and MTM for a bit more. MTM will be $1100-$1400 probably, depending on fabric. Definitely worth checking out if it's easy enough for you to drop by, and Mr. Kubo who owns the shop is a great guy. I have two from him. Do you speak Japanese?

7. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

One suit wardrobe? Would be enviable.

1 person likes this.
  8. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Here is some context.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

And then she smells the inside of his shoes. Lol.
    The innocence of it all.

Same in K-Town, after an unprotected (i.e. jackets, coats, etc, not stored in huge garbage sacks) KBBQ one feels like inventing the one-use-suiting.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  10. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Are you a MAN or a MOUSE?
    Get some Febreze MEN [​IMG]

*Febreze MOUSE coming to a retailer near you in 2018

11. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

What for, if not on those occasions, would I make use of my collection of priceless, vintage scents?! Amateurs...

12. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

I have this shirt (not worn yet, just arrived) and love it. Having said that, main purpose will be with SC, sans tie, or with chinos and even jeans. And agree with you, won't feel right with a navy cbd suit + tie rig.

PS: The coral stripe is still available.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  13. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I got that shirt too, though MTM with a spread collar rather than BD. I think I might wear it with a suit, recognizing that other elements would have to be a bit casual to make it work.