1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

In fairness though, the black tie rules ought to still exist, and preferably be strictly adhered to, outside of the LA (unfortunately, my people lol) riff raff that we normally see walking the red carpet.

Save for the wing collar "rule," which I've never liked...though that is likely attributable to my short and stocky neck ha.

1 person likes this.
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Ok, but again, aside from whatever value judgment you might put on black tie "rules," they still don't exist. Whether you think they should exist is entirely independent of that. The simple fact is that they never existed. To suggest that they should still exist is to suggest that they did at one point. I'd suggest that this couldn't possibly be true because black tie is itself a hybrid of formalities that was mashed together at a point in history in an attempt to be more casual. So it started as a refutation of rules, evolved over time as a refutation of rules, and so remains today.

1 person likes this.
  3. ericgereghty

I agree fully, though black/white Tie should still have rules...and yes, that's just me being a contrarian asshole lol

4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Contrarian, sure. Asshole, nah. You are still cool in my book. Besides, I should think the contrarian position would be against rules. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. ericgereghty

Unrelated, but Ramon Cuberta is now (or soon to be, in any event) offering a MTM service. If I recall, his full bespoke is pretty darn reasonable, and his limited RTW is right around Carmina prices. I for one am very excited to see what the MTM program features. His swan neck oxfords (bespoke model, I believe) are on my wishlist for sure.

Note: not a promotion or anything. Just spreading news on what I consider an awesome maker [​IMG]

Correction: if I'm reading the site correctly, VAT is inclusive, so, assuming you're out of that web, final tally for RTW would come in notably lower than Carmina.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Thought for the snow day to spark discussion/debate/mockery - I have come to wear my charcoal flannels more, although not as much as mid grey. I am actually coming to think light grey may be inferior to mid grey. Point being, charcoal flannels get panned here regularly, maybe too much so. photos to fuel discussion:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

WtL, wear what works for you and stuff the rest. Btw your stuff works perfectly :nodding:

8. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

So literally what I was saying all along in the Unfunded liabilities thread. [​IMG]

9. ericgereghty

Only speaking for myself, but I wasn't disagreeing with you. They certainly have a place as a staple in the wardrobe, and I like them...just not as cream as light grey or cream [​IMG]

10. WillingToLearn

For flannel trousers I have oatmeal, fawn brown, light,mid and charcoal grey, as well as a reddish brown and navy. I find mid grey and fawn brown to be the ones i reach for most. For next winter I will add a dark tan and maybe a greenish grey/brown "donkey".

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Wearing charcoal flannels today as well:

[​IMG]

I also agree that I wear mid grey and fawn the most, followed by tan and charcoal with blue tweed lagging behind.

2 people like this.
  12. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I am a fan of charcoal flannels and find them to be the second most useful flannel color after mid grey.

13. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

What's with all the boots...

14. WillingToLearn

Very practical in the Northeast, especially with a danite sole. i think the real question is why wouldn't one wear boots in the winter in a place with "real" winters

15. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

Or hell, why wouldn't one wear boots anywhere it drops below 50 degrees?

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Y'up. I could say it's because of all the snow we are getting yesterday and today, but that would ignore the fact that I'd be wearing them even if it was 40 degrees and sunny today.

17. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Proper gentlemen have themselves pulled to the front door of work by Huskies on a bobsled, thereby avoiding contact with snow.

18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

See, I wouldn't classify either of those as charcoal. Dark gray, perhaps, but charcoal would be only a few steps away from black. Dark gray is a staple IMO.

8 people like this.
  19. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

Thank you. I look at those photos and think "charcoal?"

1 person likes this.