• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any guys in here from Florida? Going to be in Jacksonville next week for work, if anyone has any rec's on stuff to do or places to eat it would be appreciated

@razl
@Beatlegeuse

Hopefully these two see the @ and don't mind. I know both are in Florida and have good taste.

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loved to see that.

The latter is about as much "fun" as watching paint dry. As would be my own attempts.
Rais otoh, different story.

I meant the discussion surrounding it, which has been enlightening, to me at least.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The next one talking about ties gets a whooping... That goes especially for the so clinically obsessed. @TweedyProf

What?!?!? I'm the obsessed one? In this thread????

I mean, I own less than 40 ties (but each one is perfect, really perfect, I mean perfect....)

aglose

Reaction score
PSA anyone who is looking to order ties and such from Exxquisit Trimmings, they are having a sale and promo where the shipping is free to the US.

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What?!?!? I'm the obsessed one? In this thread????

I mean, I own less than 40 ties (but each one is perfect, really perfect, I mean perfect....)

I don't doubt that. Seriously. :)

By the way, I bought the last Khaki from NMWA.

Last edited:

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
Are striped grenadines passe? Still cool?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

001899e2141b790557b941d9a3ccc50a.jpeg

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I like that one. I've seen plenty of other striped grenadines that I don't care for.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
@Kent Wang
Now based on what I can remember from your WAYWRN pictures + descriptions, your suit jackets do not have much padding in the shoulders. I find this a bit puzzling. Don't people like you and I need a bit of a padding on the shoulders? Also, you're in the UK and you're not going with the structured shoulders? Why? I am really curious.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

^ I like that one. I've seen plenty of other striped grenadines that I don't care for.

Hence that is the only striped grenadine tie that I own. There is one on ET that I liked but I have no interest in buying anymore ties...even at just around 20 ties in my closet.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@Kent Wang

Now based on what I can remember from your WAYWRN pictures + descriptions, your suit jackets do not have much padding in the shoulders. I find this a bit puzzling. Don't people like you and I need a bit of a padding on the shoulders? Also, you're in the UK and you're not going with the structured shoulders? Why? I am really curious. 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

That's like asking why a guy in DC is wearing a Neapolitan suit. Why would Asian dudes need shoulder padding?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's like asking why a guy in DC is wearing a Neapolitan suit. Why would Asian dudes need shoulder padding?
I think he is saying because normall it is advised that small/less muscular guys get mor structured sholders, and more v shaped guys get softer shoulders

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
You cannot ever understand what it is like to live your entire life with narrow shoulders! You cannot possible even imagine how painful it is.
tumblr_lm1qz005xu1qan5n5o1_400.gif

Anyways what I was trying to say is, an Italian suit is normally best for someone who has a solid muscular shoulder sense the shoulder construction emphasizes natural silhouette and if you have narrow and not much muscle in the shoulder area, you end up looking like...me.

Last edited:

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You cannot ever understand what it is like to live your entire life with narrow shoulders! You cannot possible even imagine how painful it is. 
tumblr_lm1qz005xu1qan5n5o1_400.gif

Anyways what I was trying to say is, an Italian suit is normally best for someone who has a solid muscular shoulder sense the shoulder construction emphasizes natural silhouette and if you have narrow and not much muscle in the shoulder area, you end up looking like...me.  
An Italian suit? Lol

There are tons of Italian suits with built up shoulders

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've never liked that stance because there are too many exceptions; i.e., wide hips, narrow waist, leg build, etc.

You can buy suits off the rack, I cannot. You can't shrink wide shoulders if you were born with them, but you could do some damn pull-ups and widen up! I'd say you have it better.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
Per NMWA site, spalla cadente morbida or Natural Shoulders.

That's what I am referring to when I say an "Italian" style suit or Neapolitan suit.

Here is Murl in what appears to be in such a suit.
900x900px-LL-47a19b3e_image.jpeg

This looks great on him since he got broad shoulders and some muscle in them shoulders.

However, it does not look so flattering on this person below.

So a person like this should wear a suit with structured shoulders.

So to go back to my original question to @Kent Wang , since we don't have shoulders like Murl why don't you make some jackets with pads.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads