1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Couldn't you just use this as a strength? I know nothing about rugby, but I've used that ignorance to start conversations with people by asking questions, relating it to things I know, and trying to engage people on a topic that they like. Couldn't you just as easily apply this logic to your odd reasoning to avoiding grenadine ties?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. crdb

crdb Senior member

Well, you want to steer the conversation into a direction both sides will find interesting. Would you be comfortable listening to someone talk about rugby for hours?

I don't understand how this links to grenadine ties. Care to expand?

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Just stop overthinking it man.

If you like grenadines, wear them, if you don't, don't.

7 people like this.
  4. Caustic Man

I'm not sure I'd want to hear someone talk about anything for hours. This has become ever more evident to me as I navigate grad school. However, I wouldn't mind talking about for some time. Especially if it is a situation where I want to cultivate relationships and connections.

As for how it relates to ties, you seemed to use the cricket example as evidence of the type of thing you try to avoid by not wearing grenadine ties. It seemed a bit odd to me, but I ran with it. What I'm getting at is that your attempt to find mutually acceptable middle ground that all would find acceptable is counter-productive. Differences in taste or opinion are just as much an opportunity to form relationships as they are challenges.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

It's kind of you to think that I get email from readers, but I don't get that many messages. Honestly don't categorize people's questions into experts or beginners either (not saying that to be polite).

It sounds like you don't want to wear grenadines because you don't want people to talk to you about fashion? Because it's something that you're not interested in (and seemingly hate)? I guess if the topic comes up, you can just say you don't know much about it and be friendly.

Honestly, it seem more like you dislike a certain group -- I guess a fashion-conscious crowd -- and don't want to be associated with them. Which is fine. I think that's how a lot of clothing choices work. Maybe Singapore is full of guys walking around in Givenchy tees and grenadine ties, I don't know. I just can't imagine grenadines being a thing or not a thing since I think of them like rep stripes or wool ties.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    2 people like this.
  6. crdb

crdb Senior member

It's funny because to me it is the other way round. I wouldn't mind talking about a new subject for hours, and meeting people with a totally different mindset, socially. Professionally, the small talk is only there as a mutual calibration before the important stuff is breached. I'll continue this using dieworkwear's answer.

Here's a specific example I was thinking about when typing that up (and seriously guys, you're taking it way too seriously).

Imagine there's an industry event of sorts, maybe evening drinks after a short talk. You have a couple hours to find new clients, or establish connections that will maximise mutual value add going forward. Realistically this means you'll have 4-5 good chats.

How do you pick which people to start a conversation with? You draw on previous experience and make quick decisions. If it's a tech event and you're looking to meet VCs or larger companies (future clients), you'll privilege the guys wearing a shirt and slacks over the jeans and T-shirt crowd. It doesn't mean you think slacks and a shirt imply that their wearer is superior to the jeans and T-shirt crowd. It means you're here to get clients or funding and it would be a waste of your time and the other guy's if you talked to him instead. You'll have to take my word for it that a grenadine tie is a subtler signal along those lines without being a criticism of a social group, tribe or "fashion-consciousness"; or at least that I believe it to be so sufficiently as to alter my behaviour. You'll also have to take my word for it that both sets of people dressed that way on purpose.

On that note, I'm out of the conversation. It's the second time you are implying negativity where it was not meant and "honestly" I am not comfortable with the process. There is no real defence to assertions of disliking a group, other than disengagement, as it is impossible to disprove.

7. Caustic Man

Ok, well you seem to be contradicting yourself at this point.

1 person likes this.
  8. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Noodles would be proud of this one [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. gs77

gs77 Senior member

How old are you? I ask because I had my fair share of business networking events and kind of understand your eagerness to make perfect appearance where only your perfect target audience will be drawn to talk to you, all the others will be drawn away.

Nowadays, I'll be honest, if I can't avoid those silly events all together, I try to find few reasonably good looking chicks and have conversation with them. Mild flirt is so much more interesting then business talk. Plus, in that context a bit edgy dressing will be appreciated ;)

I also think you are over thinking this all. 90% of ties you see in business context are bought by wifes, daughters, lovers, mothers...and tell as much about the wearer.

When you go to those events, relax and drink more!

5 people like this.
  10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I'm glad you think so.

Darling.

2 people like this.
  11. Caustic Man

[​IMG]

12. AdidaSuit

AdidaSuit Active Member

Will they bring him back for the F/W edition?

1 person likes this.
  13. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

@Claghorn advised me to get this tie. Paired up w/ Kent Wang MTM and Kamakura.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think I'll wear that tie tomorrow. From ET, right?

16. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Correct. One of the "Pounds does not equal Euros" ties.

17. Caustic Man

Just got the Knottery and Howard Yount knit ties today. I'm surprised how fine the HY is. The knit is incredibly dense and smooth. The Knottery ties are much more open and crunchy. Both tie reasonable knots, probably the best you can hope for with a knit. The Knottery ties are very long, though. Probably not a problem for a guy like @Murlsquirl , but for me the narrow end hangs well past the wide end of the tie. Not sure if this bothers me or not. I'm leaning toward not.

18. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I have HY, Knottery, KW, and Sozzi knits.

Sozzi and KW tie the best knots. They seem to be made in the same factory.

19. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Conrad Wu and HY me the nicest knots. KW probably too, but I don't wear those too often. Sozzi is wool, so that's an apples to oranges comparison. Henry Carter are the knits I struggle most with.

20. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

All my Sozzis are silk.