1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

It depends entirely on how, why, and for how long you travel. I travel as light as I can, avoiding checked bags like the plague. I've a couple of larger bags for use when, say, I go to Europe for a month. In them I can pack two weeks worth of stuff, requiring me to do laundry just once during the trip. Though larger, they'll still fit in the overhead compartments of most transatlantic flights.

I've a smaller Swiss Gear carry-on bag I use for domestic conferences along with a small "personal item" bag about the size of a large laptop computer with a shoulder strap which I use when attending sessions at a conference (for handouts and the like). Together they would allow me to be away for up to a week (assuming I wear my suit and overcoat on the plane).

Regarding conferences, one thing I've done on occasion when relevant is to ship materials to my hotel. I've only done this for domestic conferences as I don't trust international shippers with "mission critical" materials.

Like I said, your needs might be very different. There is no generic answer to your question.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  2. TM79

TM79 Senior member

And here it is, your moment of zen

3 people like this.
  3. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

@agjiffy Is this getup appropriate for achieving ones bonus this year?

[​IMG]

4. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

^ I personally think that the stripes on stripes isn't great, and that a solid shirt would look better (or even checks). It also looks like he is wearing some funny lapel pin that strikes me as costumey. But as I made abundantly clear in the other thread, no one on Wall Street gives a shit what you wear. They only care if you are good at your job and that you don't embarrass your firm. Furthermore, personal style is about being confident in what you wear and staying within some basic parameters that can be bent in interesting ways - not slavish devotion to a set of rules that morons propogate on Internet forums and their awful blogs. So that guy should be fine come bonus time. And overall he looks good.

Was that not apparent from my thread? I thought I made it so obvious.

1 person likes this.
  5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Matching of lapel-pin with cocktail is next-level, nevertheless insufficient to distract attention fully from the shirt disaster.

6. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

I was hoping for some humor!

7. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

^ There's nothing funny about men's style. At least there isn't now that Sprout2 has ruined humor for everyone else on the board with his constant unfunny posts. I still have a little chuckle when all the same guys get the same fabric for the same bespoke suit, but even the joy I get from that has almost been completely muted since I know that it's just fodder for some bad Sprout2 joke that will be clumsily delivered with minimum effect. The only path left is to be deadly serious.

5 people like this.
  8. crdb

crdb Senior member

Travelling check-in only is definitely the way to go, especially in Western countries with medieval airport operations.

However, How do you carry your suit jackets? Mine are too big to fit in a carry-on suitcase (which will be too tightly packed anyway) so I have to either only bring one and wear it, picking up all the accumulated grime from the seat back on the way, or carry it loosely folded in a hard (cardboard-lined) shopping bag of the sort you get in menswear shops. Not ideal solutions and in both cases limiting to hard wearing, crease resistant, more casual fabrics.

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Off topic GNAT:

Had a scare today. Some problem with a toner cartridge. I was about to open up the printer to figure out what the problem was, but the desire to hurry and drink my coffee made me call for an office assistant. When he opened up the printer, it lightly exploded on him. Then the wall. Then the floor.

That could have been me.

[​IMG]

---
    Since Halloween must be approaching (given the decorations being sold), what other scary sartorial stories do y'all have?

Here's a quick one:

In Korea, a coworker of mine got very drunk. After relieving himself, the tail of his jacket interfered with his wiping and he didn't notice. We noticed the smell, found the source, and made him abandon the jacket in an alley.

and on cold nights, the jacket can still be heard whispering: brown isn't just for farmers

5 people like this.
  11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Hahaha.

Anyone have recommendations for tailors (on the lower range cost wise) in Rome? I plan to visit, and might want to take a look. Anything else sartorial or otherwise interesting worth looking at?

12. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I thought you were going to be working for a tailor and were going to be getting some stuff through them? (Apologies if I missed some follow up post)

13. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Yes I still am, but I thought I'd get a thing while in Rome.

14. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

15. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I was hoping that Brooks Brothers would include ancient madder ties in their 3-for-$120 sale, but they didn't. However, there are a few potential wardrobe staples, such as solid-colored ties in about a dozen colors. My only solid-colored ties are knits, so I was thinking of picking up a few. Do you have any, and, if so, in what colors? I was considering navy blue and burgundy . . . any others I should look for?

16. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

A solid wool brown as a go to for me in the fall/winter. A tan wool tie perhaps isn't as versatile, but it gets plenty of wear by me. A deep forrest green wouldn't be a bad idea either.

2 people like this.
  17. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I don't find silk greens too versatile (I do have a grenadine and a knit though), but in wool a forest green is excellent. I got one from Exquisite Trimmings that I found very usefull. Otherwise brown is just such a great color in any fabric. Linen, to Shantung, to Grenadine, to Wool, and in different shades. I found tan brown more useful in summer myself, since I think I tend to wear darker jackets in winter, and it's harder to pair a lighter neutral tie with those.

I like burgundy a lot too. Navy/Black is alright, of course, but I find myself drawn to brown the most for plain tie, I prefer navy/black for something with more texture (knit, grenadine, raw silk).

18. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

They have some nice old buildings.

3 people like this.
  19. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

20. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

http://www.sartoriacelentano.it/en/