Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

That's a fine look for your big day, Noodles. Stick with it.

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

[​IMG]
    Thank you!!!
    Black derbies I am afraid.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Oh, and this:

[​IMG]

45s for each exercise, 15s rest/transition. Repeat if you can.

4. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

You the man. I will show your comment and others to my fiance and tell her to shut up.

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Didn't see the spoiler, agree with sugar, stick by it.

Sorry Doodals, I asked the question about the date for other reasons than have been explored here. More importantly it is clear that you are hugely able to make sophisticated choices and need no lead, more power to you my friend :nodding:

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Buy a nice PoW check tie and you're done! You could get a plain white shirt with double cuffs for a little extra formality (make sure the collar points fall under the jacket), which might make it more acceptable for your wife to be.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quote:
    I think the process of wardrobe building can be dangerously self-justifying with that approach. "If I buy XX, I'll have nothing that works with it, so I'll need to by XXX and XXXX as well." It probably keeps the wardrobe from feeling organic; if someone doesn't have much to go with XX, chances are he doesn't have much that'll go with XXX and XXXX either (assuming he's already acquired the staples). You have a number of branches stretching out in different directions instead of being clustered around a mean.

After you have everything you need (the Style Forum definition of "need"), then I suppose there is no issue in wandering down an NMWA hole only to end up with some beautiful clothes, a four thousand dollar credit card bill, and a deep sense of shameful satisfaction.

This makes me pretty boring. In general, I'm leery of any outfit that doesn't have at least two staples. I'd argue that a two non-staple mask is the sweet spot for balancing variety with consistency.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

rudlas, if you can pull off that daniel craig look, by all means, go for it.

nmwa has a lovely formosa tux btw. not sure if still available in your size or not.

9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Had an argument with the Mrs about wearing my suit for the wedding. She was very displeased to hear it. When she brought this up with wedding shop people, they said all guys want to wear their stuff and that tuxedo is the right thing to wear regardless of the wedding time. I said F them. What the heck would they know about men's clothing. All they care about is the wedding dress. I told her I am not going to wear a cheap arse tux at noon. I said I wearing my suit with French cuffs. She found it childish of me and said let's see what looks better. Stupid wedding shop. Feeding her load of crap.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

My friend wore a beautiful Oxxford glen plaid suit to his wedding here. Another a midnight blue suit with peak lapels and jetted pockets. The third wore a nice gray suit. All three are members of Korean StyFo.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  11. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

This is very helpful.

I knew at the time that they certainly weren't "staple" choices, and given that I lack staples currently and the main point of this thread being to help direct me in purchasing said staples, were probably not good additions.

I posted them in here first to receive feedback and people were generally positive. The charcoal got more love and I knew it made better sense given the fact that it have too many light jackets to begin with.

However, clags' encouragement to consider the pants I already have in rotation kept ringing in my ears. I can think of two sets of pants I currently have that the mid gray would go smashing with (navy cords and charcoal flannels) and a 3rd that would probably work well also.

Frankly, I decided that neither by themselves would be versatile enough to warrent a purchase, but that having both would probably give me enough options to cover both light and dark trousers. I ended up messaging the seller telling him I wanted both or none and offered him less than 80% of what he was asking:

"Thing is, I would like both of them, as I don't have enough trousers to make each of them a proper staple separately, but together I think I will have a lot of versatility. . . Would you accept $X for the both of them?"

He accepted.

Did I screw up? Maybe. I probably haven't kicked this "collecting" habit that got me into my wardrobe mess to begin with. But I made a logical and informed decision after having consulted the council. Sure the logic may have been flawed (I recognize that my argument sounds an awful lot like "2 wrongs makes a right"). But actually thinking about outfits as a whole and not just isolated pieces is occurring here, and I am 100x better off than I was before. Thank you for continuing to challenge me, guys. I promise I take it all to heart even if I make a misstep here and there.

12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

It might be a good deal, but you won't end up with a solid wardrobe by going for good deals all the time. I'm sure you know this already, but it doesn't hurt stressing this point. I'd make a list of everything you need, and only buy things when they're on your list, even if there's a 90% sale going on. Of course you can change the list a bit when you get more staples, but for now, I'd stick to it. 2 plain grey odd jackets really doesn't make sense at this point in time (or ever).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  13. Sundance

Sundance Active Member

14. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Thats how mine is. I figured it was just the style. Back from being in our lovely States Capitol all week.

15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

That's really close to the edge.