1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd hold off on the hot water which could spread the stain. I'd blot, let dry, and then gently brush (once thoroughly dried a lot of surface stuff will brush off). Then you'll know how much of a stain you're actually dealing with.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

I'd second the dry cleaner suggestion with one large caveat. I wouldn't take it to the mom and pop shop on the corner if it's something you value. I'd look for a specialty cleaner like Davis Imperial Cleaners in Chicago. Not only will they care for your stuff extremely well they, and those like them, are known for getting out impossible stains in delicate fabric.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. smittycl

smittycl Well-Known Member

Warm water will work too if you're skittish about hot (the warmer the water the more likely it will break up stain). I've had dry cleaners press ties so hard that the seam on the back showed through as line on the front. I second CM's recommendation to find someone you can talk to.

4. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Use the baking soda previously discussed herein. Not water

1 person likes this.
  5. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  6. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Well-Known Member

Wasn't it your turquoise tie that started a shitstorm in the good taste thread?

(I actually like @sebastian mcfox's tie, for the record.)

2 people like this.
  7. Marco85

Marco85 Member

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

My tie is probably more accurately described as robin's egg blue.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Notreknip

Notreknip Well-Known Member

Gents, help me purge!

Assuming you own both but you only have room for one. Which would you keep? Let's consider fit, comfort, and condition as non-factors.

Context: A footwear wardrobe of about 25 pairs of mid-tier, mostly SF-approved (i.e. better than AE), makers. I'm usually in trousers and an odd jacket - with a tie approximately 1/4 of the time. One of either of these might get worn once per month.

Back/Top: AE Strand (Brogued Cap-Toe Oxford on Round Classic Last)
    Front/Bottom: AE Bel Air (Wing Blucher on Chiseled-ish Last)

[​IMG]

Should I get rid of both? (They're both 7ish years old so I could stomach the idea.)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  10. Caustic Man

11. Academic2

Much depends on what else you have in your collection. As you note, one of these is an oxford and one a derby. Since you wear mostly odd jackets rather than suits, could you tell us what you usually wear these oxfords with?

Cheers,

Ac

12. bry2000

bry2000 Well-Known Member

If you have 25 pairs, you can stand to lose both.

13. Notreknip

I do find the Strands (the oxfords) a bit of an odd duck due to the formality dissonance when considering style and colour. At the time, I remember buying them because everyone considered them a staple of sorts. Now I can't fathom why that was ever the case.

To answer your question, I wear them essentially interchangeably despite the styling differences that only us SF-types seem to (consciously, at least) notice.

14. Academic2

15. Caustic Man

The top pair is fine with odd jackets. @Notreknip , don't get too hung up on the formality issue and worry more about coherence of color and texture. Besides, broguing is an inherently casual detail because of its association with sporting and the outdoors. Semi-brogues like those, some would argue, are more formal than full brogues but this is plebe talk. Now, I wouldn't recommend wearing plain toe oxfords with odd jackets, but these are more than capable os getting away with it.

16. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Would get rid of the top pair. AE's chestnut isn't a very easy color to wear (a little too orange, IMO). When it works, it's usually with summer sport coats in a more vibrant color, like a bright blue jacket with tan trousers. Open laced shoes would work better for that than oxfords.

The closed laced pair could work with casual summer suits, but I can't think of too many where AE's chesnut wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. You'd need a lighter summer suit and not many people have those.

1 person likes this.
  17. Notreknip

Thanks for the opinions so far guys. I'd definitely like to hear more thoughts.

To be honest neither really "spark joy" but they do fit a (small) niche. Relative to my collection these are the two lightest (in colour) pair and, as DWW mentioned, they really only are worn with light/summery pants or standard light grey trousers and a tie of similar tone/vibrancy as per, if I recall correctly, the theory proposed by @Sander.

Edit: Depending how this goes, you all might get to weigh in on the remainder of the purge.

18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Even with a lighter colored suit, I would prefer the open-laced shoes over closed. A little more casual, degage, etc.

Old school yfyf fit:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Academic2

They (or something like them in the relevant respects) might have been a staple for you if, say, you frequently wore light tan suits.

Agree entirely.

Cheers,

Ac

20. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Look of the day!

1 person likes this.