1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ it really depends on body type though. But a good chunk of the population, that's probably true

2. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Totally agree, body type plays a huge role in the applicability of my statement. The more "normal"/standard you are, the more true it is, imo

3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Gentlemen, quick heads-up please. There's a young Italian guy with his own somewhat Simon Crompton-like blog that's been running for three years or so. He gets a lot of suits and jackets tailored for him, generally by bespoke Italian tailors, and posts features on them with great photography.

The website has a name like "the style guys", or "the menswear guys", or something like that. But I just can't remember the exact name.

Can anyone help?

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Don't worry, Google was my friend and I nailed it.

"The Bespoke Dudes".

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I think he sells sunglasses as well. His Instagram feed is fabio Ananstasio or somethig close to that.

6. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Fabio is a top notch guy btw.

1 person likes this.
  7. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

His sunglasses are very intriguing but the shop site doesn't seem to list lens and frame sizes unfortunately. Maybe you could make a suggestion to him? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  8. OdusBK

OdusBK Well-Known Member

Should the shoulder width be increase, all other adjustments accounted for[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Yes, there are waves across the upper back, a sign of tightness.

10. OdusBK

OdusBK Well-Known Member

Thanks, ill post the suit when done

11. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

My bad. Sizes are all the way at the end toward checkout. [​IMG]

12. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

How does one communicate to their dry cleaners in regards to maintaining the 3/2 roll on a jacket? I've had cleaners in the past press a jacket thinking it was a hard 3 button. Thanks in advance

13. pleatedjeans

pleatedjeans Well-Known Member

I always make sure that there are instructions (make sure they're written on the ticket and where-ever possible) to NOT press the lapel, leave the lapel alone, and do nothing to the lapel. It's a tactic that's been met with mixed success. Curious to hear what others do as well.

1 person likes this.
  14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    2 people like this.
  15. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Completely agree. If you're in or around a major city, you can find business who are already familiar with a 3r2 jacket.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I thought it might pass, so I've been waiting to see, but I think I can say definitively that I'm at a stopping point with tailored clothing. I still enjoy wearing a jacket and tie and participating on SF, but I haven't bought anything in a while, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I'm in the difficult position of knowing enough now to be mildly dissatisfied with much of what I have, but realizing that I can't really justify spending the money or time necessary to make the next step up.

Anyone else hit this stage?

3 people like this.
  17. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I'm not quite there, but in a precursor stage. I think, once some pieces I've ordered and funded arrive in the next couple of months, I'll be done with acquiring new pieces for the foreseeable. I still see tons of stuff that I like, but nothing I need--nothing that would displace something in my rotation and/or make me want to wear my current stuff less often. I feel satisfied with what I've got and how I wear it, rather than eager to seek the next item/fit/style.

All in all, I'm in a good place with my wardrobe and hope to stay there. Now, shoes...that's a different story.

1 person likes this.
  18. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

When you say you're at a stopping point, it doesn't sound like you've lost interest in the subject, it just sounds like your wardrobe is close to being 'complete' given the social and climatological environments in which you find yourself. In a sense, it sounds like you’ve achieved the goal many aim for, or at least are close to it. Expect to get hate mail.

I think for many of us who have established at least a minimally functional wardrobe there can be diminishing returns. Over the past couple of years I’ve been gradually replacing my ties with ones which actually fit, which is to say are the proper length for me. That usually means going to Hober or Cappelli, and there’s no rush. What I have is serviceable for my purposes, however, so I can afford to take my time.

And speaking of time, I have even less of it now than usual. I’ve got about five lengths of jacketing and suiting cloth which I bought around two years ago for CMT custom work, but just haven’t had the time to get it together. Come to think of it, I've got a couple of new suits purchased a couple or months ago and which still haven't made it into the tailor for alterations and hemming. At this point next spring semester is the earliest I can get around to all this. In the meantime I have what I need to look way better than most people do in public, so I don’t feel any urgency, much less panic.

Even if I had a hypothetically perfect wardrobe I wouldn’t lose interest in the subject. As most people here know, I have an interest in the evolution of classic style, its psychology, and social contexts and meanings, which actually predates to some extent my obsessive interest in my own wardrobe.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  19. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I think the bolded is the most important part with me.

I still enjoy the subject (for lack of a better word), but I can't justify spending at the same rate now that I have a pretty well rounded wardrobe (unless I start selling and upgrading for less and less 'improvement'), so now I've moved into more of the casual/streetwear universe.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. gs77

gs77 Senior member

In this situation one has to find another way to spend, or will be locked away in Guantanamo for commiting the worst crime in capitalist society - saying "now it's enough!"

1 person likes this.