1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Is this color too light for a brown workhorse business shoe?

[​IMG]

Is this a better option?

[​IMG]

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Yes, the darker pair is better.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agreed. Darker is the better option. I also find brown brogued shortwings to be some of the easiest shoes to wear. Maybe even the easiest.

4. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

I rarely *have* to wear a suit (heck, I live in TX and work in medicine, so I could get away with wearing a shirt and tie, sans white coat, for the rest of my career, but let's not get crazy) so I don't have too many balmorals as whenever I consider wearing one I typically consider one of the bluchers in my collection (Marlow wingtip, #8 Macneils, suede captoes) to be a better fit. I'm in the process of trying to refine/upgrade that part of my shoe collection because I would like to own shoes that I actually want to wear.

Here's the current stable of closed-lacing shoes: Black captoes shoes (Park Aves, hate em but have them just in case), Black medallion captoe boots (AE Fifth Streets, I like these), meh brown captoe shoes (Andrew Lock), and chocolate suede captoe shoes (Carmina, not a great fit).

I'm wondering what brown balmoral shoes to purchase so that I actually have some closed lacing shoes I enjoy wearing. I'm going to replace the Andrew Lock captoes with a pair from Kent Wang. For wear with an odd jacket and trousers, would I be better served with a shoe like the AE Strand (medallion and all the broguing), or a shortwing like the one shown above if I can only purchase 1-2 pairs of shoes over the next couple years? (Another option would be purchasing a second pair of AE Fifth Street boots, but in brown. Factory 2nds are currently $199.) EDIT: I'm taking suggestions as well. Obviously lots of good things exist, from adelaides to u-wings, but a cap/punch-toe oxford and a medallion or shortwing oxford seemed best suited to my tasks.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  5. Claghorn

My go-to shortwing is close laced (for which I am happy). Allen Edmonds that are a decade old (and holding up amazingly well. Like, shockingly so. But I understand they aren't as well made these days).

Living in Texas, I avoid boots. I still wear my chelseas, but I do so rarely. Chukkas I wear a decent amount. I have some pebble grained boots from Howard Yount that I havent worn since moving back to Texas.

Anyway, I vote brogued shortwing oxford.

Though you might look into suede oxfords. I have two in browns and wear them both regularly.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  6. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

@Claghorn The McAllisters? I don't know what it is about them but something feels off compared to offerings from Carlos Santos (flvinny's first pic) or Carmina. Maybe it's the sixth eyelet or how close together the pieces of leather are on the "wing".

Also, I've found boots are handy when it gets all floody as HTX is wont to do. Have a pair of dressy, tall pebbled grain boots from AE for that purpose, but yeah, typically it can be a bit too warm for them. What I really need are more loafers.

7. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

For me, it's definitely how the two pieces of brogued leather are practically on top of each other for such a long distance, coupled with how wide they are. That area of the Carlos Santos and Herring I linked are much slimmer, so there's more plain leather visible on the shoe.

1 person likes this.
  8. Claghorn

I think they are AE "Chesters"

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

@flvinny521 , that color should be fine. Seeing how light they look in the pictures, I emailed Skoak to confirm they are Carmina's vegano marron color, which is a mid-brown. Skoak confirmed they are. That means the picture either shows them as lighter than they are or Carmina has lightened that shade (which I have not heard from anyone, so doubt it)..

Either way, here's a pair of vegano marron that is three years old:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. Claghorn

When people email shoe companies on behalf of strangers on the internet, :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    2 people like this.
  11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'm not that bad . .. yet. I emailed a few a weeks ago about one of their other shoes that is the same shade.

12. Claghorn

I prefer to think you went out of your way to help a guy out.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Let's go with that version, then.

1 person likes this.
  14. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Ya did good kid

2 people like this.
  15. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^ Looks good! For an evening event, I would have gone with the navy suit. In fact, I have done pretty much that outfit but with a grenadine tie for many evening events. I think navy fits a low-light night-time event better. But the grey does look good.

16. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

For the record though, isn't the Skoak shoe that flVinny posted a Carlos Santos and not Carmina?

17. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Very nice of you to share your experience, and that color looks great, but:

Yes, the first pic was indeed a Carlos Santos shoe, and not one of Skoak's Carminas.

18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

It's the thought that counts :)

3 people like this.
  20. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Dark blue linen shirts. I own them, I just can't seem to like them. To me, a shirt is supposed to be light colored. Can't make my peace with it.
    Thoughts?