1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Everyone is *gasp* spending time outside!

1 person likes this.
  2. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

If true, it will be interesting to see how that pans out, since the two threads have such different histories and ‘mission statements’: GNAT, as its subtitle suggests, focusses on ‘improving a business wardrobe’; WAYWRN has a much broader remit, simply being a place where people can post photos of their (mostly tailored) outfits.

Cheers,

Ac

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

It ain't.

There had been a couple posts about "trigger warnings" in jest, and I had just had an experience causing me to understand their benefit (and which also led me to discover that the media/internet grossly exaggerates their prevalence and scope) and wrote down some thoughts. Which caused some ire with a member (non-WAYWRN regular). A few subsequent post (one by me) and the thread moved on.

It would have been perfect for GNAT though. Damn. Missed opportunity.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

i propose some future topics for GNAT discussions:

- Does God exist?
    - Should Trump win?
    - Are Muslims terrorists?
    - Does China own the Spratly Islands?
    - Is climate change man-made?
    - Should Britain exit the EU?

Have at it, gentlemen.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

If you are so bold, go to CE and have at it. There are PLENTY people to argue those topics with.

Theres a reason they call it they CEsspool

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  6. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

I'll try to get us back on track with my usual brand of simple, "why don't you already know this?" brand of question:

Are there any general rules on what patterns are "correct" for types of clothing? For example, I sometimes see PoW checks on both jackets and ties. Unless I am mistaken, it seems popular for both items, but for other patterns, like houndstooth or herringbone, I recall reading advice that they aren't appropriate for some garments.

So, can they be easily categorized into jacket, suit, or tie categories? Dog's tooth, gingham, glen check, shephard's, etc, etc, etc.

1 person likes this.
  7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

But plumbing and marriage advice still belong here. On this there is no compromise.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  8. Caustic Man

Should I marry a plumber?

1 person likes this.
  9. greger

greger Senior member

Only if she is pretty!

10. Caustic Man

11. Caustic Man

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  12. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Huh? I think I told people to keep me off of 25 thumbs up thread and believe they still are doing that.

Fudge, work, baby on the way, and parents moving is like having 3 full time jobs.

13. mimo

mimo Senior member

Have you considered re-training as a plumber? The fit issues will be so much less time-consuming, and these sweet babies are only $29.95 at Walmart.

[​IMG]

You can have a whole wardrobe including boots for the price of one F****sa. Also, you could grow a moustache and pretend to be Korean Super Mario, which surely would make anyone happy.

I should get paid for this shit.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    3 people like this.
  14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Perfect amount of pant break there.

3 people like this.
  15. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

I took this jacket to the tailor for some waist suppression and now the second button does something strange when buttoned...any ideas? The button is under my thumb in the first pic. Thanks gang

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

Basically, the waist has been reduced in a narrow vertical range, and the unaltered skirts are now pivoting around the tightened button and swinging into the centre. I would suggest that the "suppression" itself is a tad too much, and that the tailor should relax it a touch, while taking the area below in a little as well to keep the relative proportion and balance. I hope that makes sense.

Cue: someone more knowledgeable than me to straighten me out.

17. sebastian mcfox

That makes sense, thanks. Is it an easy fix, ie should it take it back to the same place or try to find someone more proficient?

18. Caustic Man

Imo, unless you have serious concerns about the place that did it always take it back to them. Give them a chance to make it right and to learn what it is you prefer about your alterations. This is how relationships are made. I have taken things back to my last two tailors and I always view these hiccups as essential in the process of having someone really get the style of fit I'm going for.

2 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

I wouldn't like to make a subjective guess on that - your relationship with your alterations person is important! But if they didn't think this was an issue when you tried it on after adjustment, then maybe try somewhere else.

Edit: ^^ This also has its merits.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  20. sebastian mcfox

The place is fine for basic alterations but I wouldn't trust them with anything complex. When I picked up the jacket the guy asked me if it was old because he'd never seen fabric like it (flannel chalk stripe) - he also offered to 'cut the lapels down a bit' if I wanted something 'more modern'