1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I've actually seen a lot of instagram accounts that are basically shills for a couple of products. Throw in some cute girls/bathing suits/yoga poses/pseduphilosophy and you've got a ton of followers and some $ coming in. I can see the appeal.

I see it a lot for mens fitness accounts and fashion as well, so it works both ways.

1 person likes this.
  3. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

That makes sense. Like I said, she heard this from a friend, so maybe some info was lost in translation between us. I agree that just because they have a lot of sheep doesn't mean they make a nice sweater.

As far as your other recommendation, she actually works for a well-known company in the wine and spirits industry, which is the reason for the trip. Needless to say, our home is always well-stocked!

1 person likes this.
  4. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

I can think of one pretty prominent menswear blog I've stopped frequenting for this reason. He acknowledges that the items were given to him but almost everything that he wears is a gift at this point.

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

My wife and I have friends from NZ and we went there for their wedding. Seeing the mountains as you fly in is like... Wow!

6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

7. ridethecliche

I hung out with a few kiwis once.

"We're sheep shaggers and damn proud of it."

Pretty much the only thing that I remember from the conversation is written above.

1 person likes this.
  8. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Speaking of travel, I'm heading to Vietnam and Siem Reap soon for about a month and would love some advice! I'll be going N to S through Vietnam, doing Hanoi (1.5d), Sapa (2.5d), Halong Bay (2d), Hue (1d), Hoi An (3d), Dalat (3d), Mui Ne (2d), Saigon (1.5d), the Mekong Delta (2d), and then 3d in Siem Reap. Any must-sees or must-dos in those places aside from the obvious (eg. the obligatory night on a boat in a crowded, tourist-filled bay, the trek through mountains, running around on sand dunes, seeing floating markets, Angkor Wat)? I am trying to do this on a relative budget but I'm also celebrating so I'm not slumming it in any hostels or taking painfully long bus/train rides, and I don't mind splurging for memorable experiences or meals, but food's less of a priority for me on this trip in the sense I know I'll be eating pretty great regardless and I'm traveling out of a backpack so no fancy meals.

@ridethecliche didn't you travel in these parts just a few years ago?

I'm stopping in Seoul on the way back to the US but it's just a long layover so I can't really explore the city/visit BnT (not that I can afford anything yet) but I have booked a transit tour of the city since I have quite a bit of time.

Actually speaking of that crowded, tourist-filled bay - any recommendations on how to do 2 nights in Halong Bay without being surrounded by other boats or being on a booze cruise? If it weren't so damn iconic and beautiful I'd pass it up for Ninh Binh or someplace I could actually kayak but I'd like to see it. Thanks y'all.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  9. ridethecliche

Yeah, I backpacked around SE asia last summer.

I loved Sa Pa. Hue and Hoi An have amazing food. I skipped Dalat and Mui Ne. I spent 19 days in vietnam and it was not nearly enough. Sounds like you're going to be flying from stop to stop? I took one flight so I could make up some time, but I'd warn you that flights ran late pretty often.

I think you can go to Halong bay by yourself and take a ferry to cat ba, but there are some of those tour companies that are targeted more at adults and not boozed up kids. I'd stay away from the vietnam backpacker hostel ones for that reason especially.

1 person likes this.
  10. TomOwen

TomOwen Well-Known Member

I don't know if you've booked your hotels already, but I have a few suggestions.

Ha Long Bay you can do in one night if you want, and Cat Ba is a great suggestion, I used to have a place there and it is extremely beautiful. I would try and get some more time in at Hanoi, a lot of culture, and the food is absolutely amazing.

If you're traveling between Hue and Hoi An, I would suggest you stay one night in Hue, then stay in Da Nang for one or two nights before going to Hoi An, the sky bar at the Novotel in Da Nang at night has perhaps the best view in all of Vietnam. Da Nang and Hoi An are about an hour apart by car, and you should also visit My Son if you're in the area. Also, if you're going between Hue and Da Nang, take the train. The view is absolutely spectacular, it is so beautiful.

Mui Ne is really nice, although to be fair I haven't been there in about ten years. But if your itinerary isn't set in stone, I would suggest Nha Trang. Absolutely beautiful, a bit more developed so a few more things you can do there, and the beaches are perhaps one of the best in Vietnam. Or if you want a bit more remote, then I would suggest Phu Quoc or Con Dao (I've been told the Six Senses there is an amazing experience)

I hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you want to know any more, especially about Vietnam.

1 person likes this.
  11. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

@ridethecliche That's correct, hopping flights from Hanoi to Hue, Danang to Dalat, and Saigon to Siem Reap to save time and avoid riding buses whenever possible. Thanks for the advice about the flights, I'll be sure there's nothing mission-critical around my flight-times so I don't get screwed by delays.

To @TomOwen 's point above, I will be taking the train from Hue to Danang, I really look forward to it. Will be spending a night in Hue and there's some flexibility in my schedule for Nha Trang or Danang but not both. I'll see what I can do, but I have a feeling that the buses from Dalat to Mui Ne and from Mui Ne to Saigon are gonna take up a really long time and be draining (no other way to make those journeys as far as I can tell... there may actually be a train for the latter but there's some work being done near Saigon and trains seem to be stopping short of it). I was thinking of heading to Halong the morning I get back from Sapa for a 2d/1n excursion. Would you recommend otherwise? Cat ba would be great, should I be able to find a ferry there from the same part of Halong Bay where the bus drops me off?

edit: apologies to anybody who prefers me to use HCMC instead, I understand it's a sensitive topic. I'm just being lazy, I guess.

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Loved Vietnam. Spent a week in Danang just after the Hyatt was built there (also, that's a good place to stay in Danang). Went to Hue and Hoi An. There is an amazing Champa ruin near Hoi An. That was the highlight of the trip (though the old palace in Hue was also great)

Some pictures I like (from Facebook, so low res):
    Hotel
    [​IMG]

Imperial Palace (Hue)
    [​IMG]

In front of a monument in Hue
    [​IMG]

Champa ruins
    [​IMG]

The Champa ruins date to the 4th century. When we visited them, we were the only people there.

3 people like this.
  13. bigruss

bigruss Member

Cool, thanks for the feedback. Pretty sure this isn't an investment grade piece but I think it will work well as a casual jacket.

May have to find something linen for the summer as well. I like the crumpled look but not sure how it will hold up to multiple wears while living out of a suitcase.

14. TomOwen

TomOwen Well-Known Member

The HCMC/Saigon thing is fine. Vietnamese people use it interchangeably, so don't worry about it.

Sounds like you got it mostly all planned out. If you're in Hoi An, I suggest taking half a day to go to My Son, it's an UNESCO World Heritage Site so it should be good. Beware, it is really hot there, but you'll be there late April so it's not too bad. And if you're in Hoi An you can go see Da Nang for a day, it's a worthwhile place to visit. If I were you though, I'd rather stay in Da Nang and go visit Hoi An, not vice versa. And Nha Trang is spectacular, well worth it quite frankly. It's got the most beautiful beaches in Vietnam in my opinion. Your Sapa and Ha Long plan sounds good, there is a ferry you can take from Quang Ninh that goes to Cat Ba. But I think staying on a boat would also be an interesting experience

1 person likes this.
  15. etostano

etostano Senior member

For cruises from haling city, when I went a few years ago we wound up on a small ship which went the opposite direction from most (i.e. away from Cat Ba) and at most times there were zero other boats in sight, which seems to be very different from the usual experience. A bit of googling indicates this might have been Bai Tu Long bay?

1 person likes this.
  16. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Thanks for all the great advice @TomOwen , @Claghorn , @etostano and the rest. Will try my best to make time for Danang, Champa, and My Son, and perhaps make it to Nha Trang for a day or swap it for Mui Ne/Ham Tien!

17. ridethecliche

I would suggest trying to do less, rather than more and focus your trip around a few cities. I found myself wishing that I'd had a full month there, but I also would have bought a bike if that were the case.

18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just to be clear, My Son are the Champa (name of the kingdom/people) ruins near Hoi An I was talking about.

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Anyone have any suggestions for a chalet holiday in Cleethorpes?

20. ridethecliche

Stop making up words to sound cool mimo.