• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. . . I didn't think he was asking a question as much as making a statement about the previous posters.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well then by all means, stick to it. I don't think anyone will say it's "wrong", however I never saw weddings as formal events. If I had my preference I'd probably wear something more exuberant.

Black tie is as exuberant as menswear gets.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
@GuP
Congratulations on your marriage. I wore a black C&J Hallam just as a FYI. I had a blast at my wedding, I hope you do as well.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
So if I wear 8.5 UK in C&J, then what size should I get in:
1. Carmina Rain last
2. Edward Green

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Meermin takes forever to soften up. Maybe 10-20 wears, if not more. You can bend the sole by hand dozens of times to break them in without blisters.

You could also put the end of a broom or any stick in the heel area and push down in all directions to soften up the heel. Obviously I don't buy meermin anymore because of this. The only exception is their suede shoes, which tend to break in much faster.

Their regular line suede shoes are good value for money. Their regular line leather or their LM line leather shoes are not. You're better off buying Carmina. It's nice that Meermin LM is handwelted, but it doesn't offset the fact that shoes take forever to break in and the lack of quality control.

Yeah, I wanted to try them out for myself, and from a QC perspective the ones I received appear to be tip-top for the regular line. Honestly at that price it's cool if they aren't perfect and I'll mash the leather up good (thanks for the tips). I got ones with a rubber sole anyway so they could be the rainy day shoes. The Carminas I bought are clearly superior; those are suede - and $400 is pretty much my shoe ceiling for the moment so I'm not going any further than new Carmina or slightly-used/seconds from a higher-end line right now.

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a little bit afraid to start caring about shoes (shoes and shirts are joint lowest on my clothing hierarchy). That's actually a little of what's holding me back from buying the Carmina polo suede chukkas I really covet: I'm afraid that once I've got Carmina, my current shoe rotation--which I'm currently pretty happy with--will lose its luster.

Elio, that's an incredible wedding photo and an even more incredible dress. Do you know how they are made (the dresses)? The care and craft that I imagine went into that just floors me.

Not that Caustic needs anyone to speak for him, but I didn't get a judgmental/dismissal vibe so much as a curiosity vibe from his question.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elio, that's an incredible wedding photo and an even more incredible dress. Do you know how they are made (the dresses)? The care and craft that I imagine went into that just floors me.

Thanks, helden! Yeah, it's fascinating stuff, isn't it?

The dress is a modern interpretation of a kebaya, the traditional Indonesian wedding gown. My wife (a fashion designer herself) worked together with one of the country's famous kebaya designers for this one. It took almost 3 months to make. The amount of work that went into it is incredible. E.g., it features thousands of beads, all individually selected and sewn on by hand. That alone must have cost dozens of hours. The batik designs on the fabric are all specially made for this dress and applied by hand.

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

Spandexter

Reaction score

Thanks, helden! Yeah, it's fascinating stuff, isn't it?

The dress is a modern interpretation of a kebaya, the traditional Indonesian wedding gown. My wife (a fashion designer herself) worked together with one of the country's famous kebaya designers for this one. It took almost 3 months to make. The amount of work that went into it is incredible. E.g., it features thousands of beads, all individually selected and sewn on by hand. That alone must have cost dozens of hours. The batik designs on the fabric are all specially made for this dress and applied by hand.

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

That dress is gorgeous. Your wife reminds me of Olla Ramlan (my wife's cousin).

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
GuP, you can buy Vass in person in Mississauga, and don't forget about Leatherfoot. Also checkout Loding maybe as they probably compare to Meermin/AE and have a store downtown.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GuP, you can buy Vass in person in Mississauga, and don't forget about Leatherfoot. Also checkout Loding maybe as they probably compare to Meermin/AE and have a store downtown.

You can buy vass, fairly cheaply, at no man walks alone on NYC.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes.  Should have said "don't know if that's still the percentage."  Math is hard for those in the humanities, but my calculator does work!

it's 8.5% plus a processing fee fedex/carrier will hit you with. it applies below $200 as I recently paid on a $175 loafer from meermin. if you get carmina to ship via postal service you'll likely avoid the tax. in the last month I bought a loden suede loafer from meermin for 175+shipping+duties. meermin has fixed prices in usd for u.s. customers as
shoes are partially made in China and then finished in spain, I believe. this creates some FX issues for them. I also bought some Carmina oxfords for about 350 all in. far superior in make and comfort. meermin loafers are unreal stiff and tore feet up first few wearings. I have some Carmina loafers en route and will be able to compare directly to meermin soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads