1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Those are structured. If you do go down this path, please document it, would be interesting to see how it's done/before and after pics. (Not trolling here, actually interested)

1 person likes this.
  2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  3. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

How so?

4. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

@The Noodles why not just sell your Formosas? It'll give you a bit of cash in the pocket to burn on whatever style presently tickles your fancy.

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I would be looking at losing at least $500 per suit.
    Whatever I have said, they're good suits with good fabric. It's just that I have narrow shoulders

6. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Formosa's already have considerable structure in the shoulder...especially compared to many of their Neapolitan competitors.

My prediction:

This will be futile...Noodles will ruin a couple grand worth of perfectly acceptable jackets...and probably implode.

7. The Noodles

So pessimistic. You think Field will start on this stupid idea if he thought it was not going to work out?

Maybe I'll shove some tissues underneath my shoulders.

8. ericgereghty

While you may not LOVE the lack of structure (a subjective notion, it seems), I'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks your Formosa's look bad on you, or that they (presumably, due to shoulders bit) make you look wimpy.

I didn't say you SHOULD sell them, only that selling them would net you something for them, rather than embarking on a trek that is almost certain to end in failure...while taking additional funds out of your pocket at the same time.

Depending on where you live and the quality of the tailor, I'd venture a guess that you're looking at at least $100-200 per jacket to even try to have this done...

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

But DressedWell says anyone wearing a Formosa looks bad, and they're the authority on good fashion.

10. ericgereghty

I'll be totally honest, I have NO idea what that is, or who you're referencing lol.

11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Field is a business just like any other.

And I guarantee if you walk in there and tell them you want to add padding to the shoulders that they will take your money and do the work...even if it doesn't end up the way you think it will. It will be your idea that is flawed...not their work.

They fit fine. Just suck it up...or throw them all out and buy new ones.

2 people like this.
  12. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Not necessarily true - Field once told me rather bluntly that the issue I wanted to fix on a jacket was too risky and therefore not worth it. He's an honest and upfront chap.

13. archibaldleach

If you want a suit with more structure / shoulder padding, you should buy a suit with more structure / shoulder padding. You don't take a suit that's designed to be pretty much the exact opposite of that and pay a tailor to morph it into something else. Best case is you end up with a mutant hybrid that's neither here nor there, not to mention pretty much impossible to resell. Worst case something goes wrong and you end up with something you like even less. He's better off enjoying these suits and acquiring suits that are cut more to his liking going forward or selling these suits to raise cash for their replacements.

Don't buy Rubi and try to make it Huntsman or vice versa. It's a disaster waiting to happen in most cases.

2 people like this.
  14. archibaldleach

That's throwing good money away. For $1,500, you could get two SuitSupply suits and have a larger wardrobe. I can see how you might want something with a bit more extension and padding in the shoulders (NB: shoulder extension, which compensates for narrow shoulders when done properly, and shoulder padding, which does add structure but tends to compensate more for sloping shoulders, are different). Adding shoulder padding will give you a more structured look, but it won't extend the shoulders.

I still think you are better off accepting the suits you have as is. As I said, the cost of doing this work is going to set you back two SuitSupply suits. It also is not going to be the same as getting suits that are cut in the most flattering possible way for you. I think your current Formosas look fine on you; I can see how a bit more structure and extension in the shoulders might flatter you more and this is good to know going forward, but use this knowledge for future purchases. $1,500 is way too much to spend for this surgical experiment.

1 person likes this.
  15. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Don't talk him out of it!!! I want to see where this goes.

16. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

You've never met Mr. Field.

17. The Noodles

Will Field may be a businessman but he is more passionate about his work. I have dumb ideas and requests being that I am a dumb fart, but he has steered me away from them by explaining why. He just doesn't take your money and F you over like some people.

18. archibaldleach

It's not the tailor I doubt; it's the idea and whether it's worth doing.

19. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

You can learn a lot by having a tailor tell you that something is a bad idea.

2 people like this.
  20. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

FWIW, I recently had a SC altered from fully lined to quarter lined and had the shoulder pads replaced with much thinner pads. Tailor said minimal padding was necessary - couldn't go to unpadded. Removing lining and having to finish seams was the labor intensive part. Total bill was $250, but well worth it. Jacket is a powder blue hopsack and now far more useful, feels lighter and more comfortable in warmer weather. To my mind, the cost was worth it as I now have a jacket I'll wear more. Was purchased a a mtm pre-SF when I didn't know better. From a looks point of view, shoulder has a more roped look.