1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

In my experience is not a huge deal. I'd just get them all canvassed unless you specifically like otherwise.

2. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Funny you should ask, Iso, since I'm wearing a new green wool/silk "grenadine" with brown tweed today (apologies for the hastily composed photo):
    [​IMG]

I think a green grenadine pairs just fine with both navy and grey, but it's not my favorite option for either. With brown, though, it's perfect.

3 people like this.
  3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

It's ok. I was just teasing although looking back, it definitely didn't appear that way. Sorry about that. I'm not very serious at all on here and I respect Claghorn's opinion as well :cheers:

Regarding your canvassing question I think it just comes down to how much shape you want your suit to have. Personally, I'd want to go at least half-canvassed and then decide if I want unlined or quarter lined.

Depending on your tolerance for heat, even some of the heavier Irish linens are fine for summer suits and I think they make up very well. While I understand that wrinkles add character to linen, so to speak, I think there's a point where the wrinkles become a problem. Heavier Irish linens help to negate that issue.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  4. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

Interesting, I hadn't thought of Irish linen. To avoid the wrinkling problem, I'm focusing on linen-wool blends instead of pure linen. I'm not sure if KW offers Irish Linen, they probably do and I just struggle to read the swatches.

I originally wanted a patterned dark blue suit that could be broken up, but now that I'm looking over some of these new fabric swatches, I'm leaning more towards solid brown or solid navy (both wool/silk/linen mixes). I posted a picture of the fabrics earlier, but here is the link again

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1620/24663702900_1637ce4f98_k.jpg

310305 and 310310 specifically, they're are close to each other in the very first row. (Also both Claghorn recommended.)

Maybe I'm rushing into patterns since I have only one navy suit and one dark blue jacket. All of these fabrics we are now talking about are a small, but not inconsequential, price increase from the hop sacks I originally posted, but if there is strong agreement on the boards that I would be better served by one of these slightly more expensive fabrics, that won't hold me back.

5. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Sorry, I think I missed the part where it looks like you're committing to using Kent Wang. In that case you can disregard my Irish linen comments since I don't believe he stocks any of those fabrics. I was referring to W. Bill and some others with that line of thought ...

I think both recommendations are good ones. I own a couple wool/silk/linen make ups and they are jackets I really enjoy.

I'm assuming your current navy suit is a fall/winter one? If that's the case, I think I'd choose to get a navy spring/summer one before branching out.

With the wool/silk/linen make up, you could get patch pockets and be able to use the jacket separately since the fabric has enough texture to it.

I think my above sentence is gravitating toward Manton's BlazerSuit thread so I'll stop there to avoid being sued.

2 people like this.
  6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

You can do Irish linen with KW. He accepts CMT.

1 person likes this.
  7. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

This is really, really helpful. My one navy suit is a "4-season" (but nothing is truly 4-season in Kentucky) from SuSu. Now that I'm being a bit more critical of my current wardrobe (and with the feedback I've received from you, Clags, Iso, Caustic, and others) I'll definitely get either the brown or navy solid in a linen blend with patch pockets.

My current favorite jacket is a brown cashmere blend I'd like to have a summer alternative to, but navy seems to be the default color when in doubt. As always, more feedback is welcome, but I think I have it narrowed down to those two choices.

1 person likes this.
  8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

My awesometer just redlined.

1 person likes this.
  9. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

By the by, just visited the Suit Supply store in Chicago and probably 2/3 of their models fit me in the shoulder better than any other off the rack brand I've seen. Came away with a Sienna suit. Will definitely be returning. Also, glad I went to the store before ordering anything. Based on their size-o-meter I am a 40R, but 42R clearly fits me better in most cuts.

10. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Yeah - I'm ambivalent towards SuitSupply but what holds true is that the sizing guide on their website is not very reliable at all.

11. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

A verbatim excerpt from an actual recent online conversation with one of Suit Supply’s reps:

Ac: “Which of your fits” will best compensate for shoulder slope?”
    SS: “Whichever one has the most shoulder padding.”

Full transcript forthcoming in Duh: The International Journal of Self-Evident Propositions

Cheers,

Ac

12. JAEBH

JAEBH Active Member

Help a newbie out please. Getting away from suits everyday for work, and can get away with sportcoat trouser options. So far have 2 navy sport oats (rlbl & susu) and several black fleece and incotex pants in varying shades of light to darker mid gray.. Is brown a good logical choice for a 3rd jacket option? Found this mid/dark brown canali kei in my size. If so what pant/shirt combos does this go with?

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    }

13. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Pfff, yeah! Clags?

14. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I have several Fresco suits that I bought when I lived in the Middle East (so essentially summer suits) and they're all fully canvassed. I think that the half lining makes as much of an impact on wearability in the heat as canvass. And half canvass may even be worse than full, since the non-canvassed area would have a fusible.

For what you're looking for have you considered Fresco 0520?

2 people like this.
  15. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Meh, what kind of wood flooring are you going to go with?

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member

Seconded.

17. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

You mean THIRDED, I was the firster. [​IMG]

18. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Speaking of Tom Ford, noticed that Jon Oliver seemed to be wearing a TF suit in the latest episode. Look at the shoulders, peak lapels, and diagonal hole on the lapel

Strange choice to be wearing a decadant $4k suit when he has many populist rants

19. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

[​IMG] Would you prefer he does the show in a t shirt and sneakers?

1 person likes this.
  20. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Who knows, rosewood? Maple? It will be up to the Mrs.

F### Jon Oliver. What's a freaking brit running an American tv show with a very annoying brit accent, and I luv brit accent!

Go Team Coco and Connan!