1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

3. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I have black wholecuts. Sleek, formal, great with navy/grey suits and the occasional black tie. As long as they're not blobby or ugly, go for it. Although captoes are more versatile, wholecuts can be a nice secondary option.

1 person likes this.
  4. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Thanks for the advice everyone (and for the typically fascinating epistemological discussion of captoes vs wholecuts)

1 person likes this.
  5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

I have black wholecuts. The right purchase, if mindful of fit/last etc become a great option.

[​IMG]

Black suede too :nodding:

2 people like this.
  6. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Number 2 fits the best of the lot.

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Many thanks for reminding me of this. As a (now sadly former) rider I have an unconscious tendency to ignore complaints about breaking in shoes. People don’t know what pain is until they break in a pair of new dress boots:

[​IMG]

But you’re quite right; it’s a factor worth considering. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

But, and you've sort of implicitly indicated this, there is a tautological element to this argument. I could point to opera pumps as very formal and very novel. To which someone can say they aren't novel to their context. Which is a formal context (are operas formal? They get a midnight peak lapel suit from me. At most. Hate tuxedos. I'm a philistine).

So something which isn't novel in a formal context is formal.

(Black) Whole cuts look more formal to me. At least they do new. After a few wears, I just don't like the way they look at all.

9. vidyut

vidyut Member

Many thanks. I'm considering between just buying this or going with something M2M. I've never had suits made to measure before. Do you think there's enough to be addressed that will make M2M significantly better? I was thinking of a budget of about USD1-1.5K, so these fit very well within that (maybe even at the lower end of that with discounts). Writing about budget only to indicate that USD3k or more bespoke tailored suit is not really the alternative. Something like Kent Wang's suits maybe are an alternative.

10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

11. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

With that kind of budget, you don't need to settle for any of the three you showed earlier. Go for something with much less shoulder padding.

12. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I think you're taking the definition of novel the wrong way Clags - in the old argument 'novel' refers simply in terms of its existence in tradition, not in terms of how prevelant something is in society.

13. Cleav

Ac, in addition to other comments be mindful of quality issues. There is evidence of great work from Meermin and when you put that in context with that price that would ordinarily be fine. I do like your brogues. In search of Adelaides befitting a man of your calibre I may point you in another direction though :) _________________ More generally, I would urge that anyone considering a new (footwear) direction dip in here then engage with the relevant shoe/boot threads when seeking advice, much better to listen to those that know/have the experience :D

1 person likes this.
  14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The formality of an item is determined by the degree with which it is expected in formal contexts. That is basically what that argument boils down to. Which means discussing the features of an item which make it more or less formal is pointless (unless those features contributed to its rise in those formal contexts).

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

16. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Cleav, what are the makers of those two pairs of yours?

I agree that Captoes are undeniably more versatile, but I see no reason not to include a couple of pairs of sleek wholecuts in one's Arsenal...

Speaking of, excellent win today Gunners!

3 people like this.
  17. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

I have a pair of brown museum calf captoes from Carmina that fit perfectly, so I think I'll order a pair in black on the Forest last for the black tie event

18. Cleav

C & j Alex and Weymouth posted

In other news.. I think the right team were SPUR(S)ed on :smarmy:

1 person likes this.
  19. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

After 7 hours of wholecuts discussion, @The Noodles let me be the first to offer my congratulations to you and Mrs Noodle.

3 people like this.
  20. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

Oh...yes, congratulations indeed!

1 person likes this.