1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

My car has this keyless entry thing. I could actually leave the key inside the car and lock/unlock it. Slight problem, anyone could do the same in my absence.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Also, I didn't even need my cc or cash since I paid the cabs with my iphone anyway...

I've been using the RX100 for 3 years now and like it a lot. But I just switched to the LX100 now - better macro AF, MUCH faster AF overall and goes down to 1.7. A little bulkier of course but since I always have the camera in my tote, it doesn't matter.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Can't imagine greg saying 'two fiddies' in a French accent.

4. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I did that one time in my dads lexus and it wouldnt open the door after it locked being inside the car.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

My car has a code to punch I and it unlocks, regardless of where the keys are

6. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Only a credit card and a little bit of cash for black tie. Phone goes in the wife's purse, car keys are kept by the driver.
    I thought no watch was only for weddings (and funerals)?

7. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

Ha! I am with you. All I carry is a slim cardholder for driver's license and a debit card. And I got rid of all my keys and just carry a car key fob. I got a 500 usd wallet that I got as a gift but it is just collecting dust. Sorry father in-law.

...then I got a 5.7(?) Inch samsung note 4....

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Let's see it!

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Many of the pics I posted in the white tie thread were from my GM1. I think the image quality is noticably better, particularly in tough lighting conditions.

I don't mind the bulk of the camera, particularly when at an incredible venue such as the Hofburg or Staadtopera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comparison with an iPhone pic.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I'm dripping with envy.

11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

One of my life regrets is that I've never lived in Vienna. And at this point I can confidently say that I never will get that chance, alas.

@EliodA , is it really the case that one shouldn't wear a watch to a wedding or a funeral? Never heard that one before.

1 person likes this.
  12. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Some say not wear a watch to formal affairs as one shouldn't be concerned with such mundane things as the time.

I however think a man should never go without one. Just my take on it.

13. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

I am not ElioA but for whatever is worth, in my country the custom is that if you wear a morning coat (is what we wear at weddings) you don't wear a wristwatch. A pocket watch yes, but not a wristwatch.

Don't know if it is the same in other places.

2 people like this.
  14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Not sure about the watch either, but traveling light is the way to go. I can't stand having extras crap in my pockets and particularly phones these days are more inconvenient just to carry around… I would probably just leave it.

@Coxsackie agreed Vienna is fantastic… never lived there either, but have visited a couple times. Not sure how all that Sacher tortre would help my fitness.

1 person likes this.
  15. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

^ I believe it's this, but I'm not sure, so that's why I was asking. As @Chulillo says, apparently a pocket watch is deemed acceptable in those situations.

@Coxsackie didn't you have Viennese ancestors?

16. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

You’d love it.

Strictly speaking I’ve never lived in Vienna, but I have several times spent a month or so in a town about 1/2 south by train while commuting into the city for research, so I've a good sense of what it's like to live as a local. It’s one of my favorite cities: clean, safe, with a well-educated and sophisticated populace, and, as Vienna’s own Karl Kraus put it, “the streets are paved with culture.”

They also tend to dress a touch more formally when they go out, which I appreciate.

Cheers,

Ac

17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

My father was Czech, my mother was from Linz but grew up in Vienna. After their marriage, my parents lived in Vienna for two years, just around the time "The Third Man" was made.

For part of that time they rented an apartment in a building on Schwarzspanierstrasse, I believe no. 8, which is one of many "Beethoven houses" around Vienna. They weren't in his apartment though. I remember staying in Vienna with my parents for a week or so one winter. I was ten. We went to a little basement restaurant/bar at which Anton Karas - the zither player on "The Third Man" - was playing. We also attended operas at the Staatsoper. All a bit heavy for a little boy.

My father maintained a lifelong interest in Viennese culture, founding the Australian branch of the Robert Stolz Music Society (Stolz was famed as the "last great Viennese waltz king").

I've been back a few times since, but unfortunately the last time was already over twenty years ago. I really can't think of anywhere in the world I'd rather live. (Although Melbourne's not at all bad!)

3 people like this.
  18. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Looks to be a great camera, having copied the large sensor in compact body idea from Sony.

We switched from MkI to MkIV, and it's night and day.
    [​IMG]
    Comparison between LX100 and RX100, pretty much a dead race, yellow is where the LX is better, grey for RX. Ergonomics are a bit of a pain with the RX, no doubt, and it's pretty dear.

I unlocked immediately when I noticed my laps. Might do a trial but only when I have my spare in reach.

I remember those times well. ;)

1 person likes this.
  19. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

In those situations, I wear a demure, sleek tank watch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

For those in the know, this is a very odd thing for me to be wearing:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.