1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

DB pulling is different than SB pulling

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

This is spot on. I have a jacket that has slight pulling in one area because of a balance issue. No matter how much room, or lack thereof, it has, it will always pull.

3. Caustic Man

Pulling for whatever reason, and the fabric naturally folding and rippling because of movement, are two different things. I think this subject is getting away from you a little. An experienced eye can spot the difference between pulling and natural movement. Your jackets often pull. That's simply a fact. I'm not sure if you are being defensive or genuinely discussing this subject in good faith, but giving critiques to you is often a laborious process. Many times you simply refuse to take the point. I will, however, assume that you are speaking in good faith and say, again, that your preference is your preference. If that's how you like it that's fine.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

More specifically, Isolation, if you want feedback on your jackets, your best bet is to stand at ease but erect, uneven shoulders and all. If a jacket looks good in this pose, that doesn't mean the jacket necessarily fits, but it is the closest approximation of fit one can get from a still image.

And a still image isn't the end all be all. One of the reasons I don't put cuffs on most (though I do on some) of my pants is that in orde for cuffed trousers to look good still, they have to be just the right height. And at that height, I really dislike how the pants look in motion (displaying a lot of sock with every step, as opposed to some sock occasionally). So here is a feature of our outfits that look good in pictures, particularly standing, but don't look quite as good as in motion or while sitting. Nevertheless, cuffs are very popular on SF at least in part due to the prevalence of judging standing pictures.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    3 people like this.
  5. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Okay that's fair enough. I genuinely don't see some of the things I'm being told wrt waist issue and don't think the jacket's pulling is very noticeable compared to those other examples, but considering I've changed my mind about a great deal of things since when I first post, I'll stay quiet and give it time. I don't want to be defensive and I'm aware that's what I'm doing. Thanks for your comments and advice.

1 person likes this.
  6. Claghorn

Just as some examples of how movement/posture causes pulling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

None of the examples show much pulling due to selection

7. ASNY2VA

ASNY2VA Senior member

I don't have any personal knowledge about DB jackets, but in response to Isolation's question, there is a pretty timely article (from today) on Put This On that addresses how to cut one.
    http://putthison.com/

8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Sage advice. Often forgotten by the iGent: At some point, you need to walk and function in these clothes.

9. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

QFT

It's a form of modern vanity: that any argument can be relativized, reworded, and framed such that the onus is not on the speaker.
    When it would be simpler to just, you know, not wear blatantly tight jackets.

10. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I like'em.

My tastes are still developing, admittedly, so I won't hold onto my preferences so much.

11. venividivicibj

Who do you guys use for your cotton chinos? I've used Epaulet in the past, but was wondering what other recs would be

12. Claghorn

Wool or linen.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

you've been saying that since you got here lol

14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I think it's been accurate since I got here.

6 people like this.
  15. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

On a different note, how come nobody said anything about the boots? =[ It's you noodlers who convinced me to get them after all.

Gotta repost them since it got lost in all that stuff
    (guys I'll try to avoid doing all this [​IMG] in the future, I get carried away too easily, I apologize).

[​IMG]

16. Caustic Man

Yet another thing I wasn't going to mention, but I don't like them. lol

2 people like this.
  17. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Aw, that's a pity, I really like them! Again, I can't imagine not finding them amazing, I suppose we really just have very different preferences. For instance I really like the leather piping, I think it's a nice subtle detail that gives it more character. I think I'm mostly going to wear them with tweed trousers, maybe cords, and mostly jeans, though.

18. Caustic Man

If you like them then that's good enough. Just not my style. I might wear them with jeans or chinos, but they wouldn't be my first choice. Have fun with them.

1 person likes this.
  19. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Love boots, really don't like those.

Admittedly, that's a taste thing. There's certainly nothing "wrong" with them.

20. venividivicibj

Wait, you never wear cotton?