1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

I feel you @CaptainTohm. My issue nowadays had to do more with just not seeing things I want to buy. I can puruse thru hundreds of ties and not find a single tie I like. For suits or jackets, I need to break out of my shell.

@Caustic Man
    Where have you been?

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

38R

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

How much you thinking of selling for? :p

(Think you should keep it)

4. Claghorn

Probably in the 6-700USD range. It's RTW from 2012; retailed at around 1200 pounds. It's been worn less than ten times and hasn't been altered (except going from brass to horn buttons).

My wife asked me my thought process when I wear it. I explained that it's pretty much: I own a nice double breasted jacket and therefore I should wear it. Generally she's against me selling my stuff, but agrees that if I'm essentially forcing myself to wear it, it should go.

5. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

You should keep it. You may grow into in your later years. The fit, color, and quality is so good that you may not be able to replace it easily if you ever wanted to.

2 people like this.
  6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

This is certainly a reasonable consideration. Neither our personal preferences nor the environments in which we find ourselves are written in stone, and we can't easily predict how either might change.

Cheers,

Ac

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Clags, if you like the way it looks, then perhaps an immersive approach might help make it feel more natural to wear. Maybe wear it every ten days for a couple of months. Your wear cycle will be somewhat noticeable due to its being a DB, but since it's navy (or just off navy), it won't be that big a deal.

If after the immersion it doesn't feel any more natural, sell it.

8. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

If Clagster doesn't like it now, I do not see him liking it later down the line. Our comments may convince him to keep it temporarily. But I think it looks good. Sell while you can and just cut the loss and move forward.

9. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Clags is himself. And someone who is himself can always know himself better than we know his self. If he eventually likes it, he will. If he never likes it, he won't. The key to making the right choice is to stop thinking about it. Simply do what you feel and it will be right. Or don't do what you feel and that will be right too.

1 person likes this.
  10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

My suggestion is based on my own experience when I started wearing a jacket and tie. I wanted to wear them, but I definitely didn't feel "natural" wearing them. Obviously, Clags can and should do whatever he wants, but his posts made it seem like he didn't want to want to sell the jacket.

11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

@Claghorn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a really strong shoulder and close chest compared to a lot of what you wear. So, I mean, it might not be that DB doesn't work for you, but that jacket, though lovely, might not be your steeze.

12. Claghorn

This is also very possible

13. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Birdseye is only for suits.

Fresco is what you want for a blazersuit, not hopsack. I have one suit and three jackets in hopsack, and whereas jackets are fine, trousers never hold a crease.

4 people like this.
  14. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

@UrbanComposition
    Funny you should say that about birdseye. I experimented with a navy birdseye jacket today and it looked terrible with a pair of gray trousers. Maybe it had more to do with the fact that the jacket was part of a suit and not a SC.

15. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Is the advice regarding hopsack trousers generally true across all facets? Would anyone think weight might make a difference in the ability to hold a crease?

16. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I have a hopsack suit I've been wearing regularly for more than a year. The trousers have zero issues holding a crease.

17. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Out of curiosity, what fabric is your suit made up of?

18. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Weight could be an issue - my suit is a light 9/10oz. The heavier ones could be better. Maybe PatrickR can confirm.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  19. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

Mine is heavier. I wish I could tell you more about the fabric, but here's how I do it. I stop by Chris Despos's shop, tell him I want a hopsack sport coat, he shows me what fabric he would use, I approve, and he makes the coat. Then, when I pick it up, he tells me he should also make the trousers because I will like it and use it as a suit, I approve, and he makes it. So now I have a navy blue hopsack suit that, not shockingly, I like and use quite a bit. But at no point along the way do I pay any attention to anything about the fabric other than approving a swatch that Chris already knows I will approve.

1 person likes this.
  20. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I think Chris showed me that fabric ages ago. It is an incredibly fine hopsack isn't it? If it is the one I remember, I am not surprised it tailored well. On the other hand, with some of the course drapers stuff I have seen... No chance in hell it would hold a crease.

Iirc, the stuff Patrick is talking about could have been mistaken for fresco at a distance.

I think it is fair to generalize on the qualities of various fabrics, knowing that there will probably be exceptions to the rule.