1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. wcamspacher

wcamspacher New Member

hi,

i have an interview at a top modern art museum in nyc tomorrow. it's for a coding position, but if i were to land the job i'd be asked to present at times. what should i wear?

about me: 5'10", 132lbs, slender, very feminine build with shaggy hair. as of now, i've got a 60s navy armani blazer that fits me perfectly, but i feel it may be too...dinner-ish/casual. it really looks great, though. plus i don't have matching pants. certainly possible to go out tonight and buy some that match, though. other than that, i've got various sweaters. was thinking maybe the blazer on top of a solid, cream, crew-neck theory sweater that fits well. or maybe just a sweater over an oxford and tie. or maybe a black turtleneck but...that seems like it's trying too hard. only real nice shoes i have are standard-issue black chelsea boots. for some reason my ideal get-up is a robert longo-esqe skinny black suit, white shirt, and no tie. something very mod. i just really have no idea what to do for a professional creative job of this level.

i'm willing to go out today and spend whatever it takes. would love to land the job. thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

You're cutting it a bit close. A picture of the blazer might be helpful. Just if we were to recommend you to buy something, you don't have much time for that now.

3. wcamspacher

wcamspacher New Member

yea, the interview was scheduled last night unfortunately. might be able to push it back to next tuesday or thursday, but i feel delaying it might look bad at this point. in any case, here's a photo of it from about eight months ago:

http://i.imgur.com/TKgzqkK.jpg

hair's at the top of my ears nowadays.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I guess to be safe, I'd suggest to just find a pair of gray trousers and a white shirt and be done with it.

I think tie less and not as a part of a suit white shirt does better, but I'm sure most here would recommend a blue one instead. I think this doesn't pair quite as well with sweaters as those are a bit more rustic, and this has a more dressy vibe.

I'd suggest looking into Suit Supply for some jackets and pieces in the future if you have the chance.

5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Thanks. Too late for today, though. I'd already paired my burg Hober pin dot with a trusty light blue shirt.

Very liberating going forward, however. As they say at Faber, knowledge is good.

6. GuP

GuP Senior member

Are Chelsea boots almost as versatile as chukkas?

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some say more. Others say less. They both are really useful. Chukkas can be dressed down a bit more easily, chelseas up.

I like chelseas more. As do DocH and Ac2. I believe Shugz is firmly in the chukka camp.

In the end, they are both great.

1 person likes this.
  8. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

imo no. It's more aesthetically specific. Chukkas work in a greater variety of looks I think. I like them both, but I prefer Chelseas for more city-vibe situations.

I think the idea is that chelseas are more sleek being partially wholecut, so they are more formal. I think they are sleeker for sure, but the elastic makes it less trad/classic/whatever. I don't think it goes well with a sombre suit, but I think you can get away with chukkas and a muted suit in winter, for example. I do anyway, because it's London, it rains, and, well, dainite soles make more sense, while still keeping to a relatively "standard" look.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Stood up too quickly at my desk, sportcoat pocket caught on arm of chair, front of patch pocket ripped.

I think I'll tuck it into the the rest of the pocket and call it sprezz

10. Claghorn

This is why I never stand up.

1 person likes this.
  11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Duct tape for that shabby chic sprezzz.

12. venividivicibj

Maybe do some pick stitching at my desk?

13. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Just use a stapler.

14. venividivicibj

If it was a light grey suit, maybe.

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Noodlers: in my mind I can see a new addition to my rotation of odd jackets. It's a mid-brown herringbone that resolves to solid from a distance. Something I can wear with tan flannels or light/mid-gray flannels, but distinguishable from a dark brown jacket I already have. I'm also open to alternative suggestions if you think I'm going down the wrong path. Thanks to Clags and Heldentenor for their input so far.

Here are the swatches I'm looking at:

[​IMG]

I like 21, 26 and 18, but cannot make a decision because I have realized I have zero skill imagining how these will look made up. Here are a few pictures I like color-wise:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking something in this range. Help me make a decision.

16. Claghorn

I have 26, and I am almost positive that 18 is the best bet for an odd jacket.

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I think 18 will resolve to brown better, but personally prefer 26. I have something similar that gets a lot of use.

18. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Do you now think your tweed suit is 26? I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on 18 as I am strangely intrigued by this one, even though it is not quite what I had in mind originally.

The third picture is KW MTM, which was not 26, but which KW says is very close to 26. That KW picture is what got me originally thinking that I need a brown herringbone jacket.

20. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member