Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

You know it's about 1/2 longer than my preferance, but I do have some jackets in that range . . .

That HW is amazing if it hits my measurements, but that is starting to creep out of my price range . . .

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

There are too many posts in this thread. Add in Clags' posting in the middle of the damned night, and I can barely keep up!

Clags, to answer your question: I have not seen SuitSupply in person, but if we can trust Timo, Holdfast, and ClarinetPlayer (and I think we can), that seems like a valid option for Noodles. He can try on the RTW stuff with the assistance of staff and/or SF chaperone. He might even be able to stop there. If not, then the MTM is at least based on in-person assessments. But the reality seems to be that Noodles doesn't believe he can get quality for less than $2000, so I think you're wasting your breath.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

JR: one of the problems with the Brooks Brothers blazer you posted is that it is the Madison fit, which is huge on most people. Even if you size down, the arm holes are very low, the sleeves droopy and the waist enourmous. If you like Brooks Brothers, look at the Regent and Fitzgerald fits in blazers. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Blazers/0218,default,sc.html?lid=topnav-menu If you can hold out a few weeks, there will be a 30% off corporate incentive sale in mid-March that will net you one of those blazers for somewhere in the low $400's. Suit Supply may be a good option as well.

You could also take a quick run over to Nordstrom Rack if you have any interest in a seasonal cashmere navy blazer as this is about the time that Nordstrom typically dumps the unsold Samuelsohn cashmere navy blazers on the Rack. The Samuelsohn blazers are full canvas and very nice.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

How the fuck do you think I feel when I wake up in the morning?

Yeah, the brand thing is pretty deeply fixated in a lot of Koreans. Why Rudals suffers from it, I don't know.

However. I'm willing to bet that he shakes it off when he gets an SS mtm (which start at above $1000, so he can feel good about the quadruple digits) and realizes he looks better than he ever did.

5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Consider it an alley-oop...

6. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I'm not against patch pockets by any means. I'll check out nordstrom rack in the next couple days. If not there I'll probably head back to Suit Supply and try on some jackets. Is there any specific gorge/quarters tips to keep in mind? Sometimes I fail to consider all the options.

7. jungleroller

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Lapels look a bit wimpy too. A navy blazer is something so essential I'd hold out until you find one that's near perfect for you. It's better to buy one great expensive one, than 3 cheap mediocre ones.

9. jungleroller

Agreed. I'm on the hunt.

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^^ Agree with Monkeyface on the above jacket. I also don't love the idea of flannel for your sole navy jacket.

11. TM79

TM79 Senior member

You shouldn't have a sole navy jacket if you live somewhere that has more than 1 season, in my opinion.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i will agree with clags that i prefer patch pockets on most SCs, but i do not at all find them a necessity when choosing a SC. the cut, lapels, hue and fabric are all more important to me. the patch pockets are a nice bonus. im still on the hunt for a nice navy SC with patch pockets, i hope to come across one soon enough. or maybe ill just have ed make me one!

13. jungleroller

Is this true?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

There are many such truths. Which is to say, it is not false.

15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

This is the same jacket from couple days ago where I buttoned the top and it didn't look so good back then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a shot from the back per your request. Don't know if the fit looks good. (I really need to work on my leg muscles).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014