1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

What happened?

2. GuP

GuP Senior member

Don't want to dig up old stuff, but if you search around it is public.

3. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

I take it you tried to implement the liverano lapels and rounded quarters on your jacket?

4. GuP

GuP Senior member

How did you guess?

5. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

6. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

He asked for side buttoning yoga pants in bone flannel and they gave him ass pleats on oatmeal flannel instead.

After requesting that the pants be recut and delivering them to a New York hotel suite in an unmarked brown paper bag, his hand-wringing and pleas were met with obfuscation for a year, over which time he was tarred and feathered on social media and insinuations were made that he was a height-challenged Mongoloid.

Still, trusting the end product, he waited. Finally, the pants arrived and, like a child on Christmas Day, he eagerly tore open the paper wrapping with his house keys, but the fabric was all wrong. He immediately subjected it to a burn test and realized it contained polyester. What was billed as ancient thirst loomed by the Brothers Kitsune in the West of England turned out to be a Bollywood Special from West India.

But what could he do? He was pant-less. Resolved to turn the situation for the better with a bit of retail therapy, he strode into the Parisian house of Mèrcury, purveyors of leather goods and cravats with witty motifs of smiling Kit-Kat bars, dancing swastikas, and aliens mating. A single green billfold in cowhide would, he reasoned, "fit the bill" for this occasion. What he couldn't get in thirst that was ancient he would compensate for with new cash that was Asian.

"Sorry," the clerk jolted him out of his reverie. "I can't discuss that at this time," she said, cementing what would henceforth live on in the lexicon in the acronym we know as ICDTATT. He was nonplussed. This maison was a farce, a tower of rarity; it seemed to besmirch his purchasing power parity.

When a man cannot have side buttons, when a man cannot have bone flannel, when a man cannot even have a four thousand dollar wallet with his name inked in the corner by loving Parisian hands (by way of Belarus), he can do but one thing: turn to drink.

Long story short, he went to his favorite watering hole and somewhere in the proceedings, too inebriated to houdini the family jewels through the improperly placed side buttons (why, he cursed, had they used blazer buttons, of all things?), he sprinkled his "bespoke" hip-huggers, which by this time could honestly pass for Isaia MTM.

The pants were lost. So was his ego. But no one stands between a man and cold, hard cash. The battle was Pyrrhic, but it was his battle.
    Before closing time, he squeaks through the sliding doors of Daffy's New York, buys the first pair of Incotex he can find. Goes home, snips off the labels, strings them onto the soiled bespoke pantaloons with a bit of fishing wire. Presto, change-o: merchandise that's priced to move! He lists it on ebay:

[​IMG]NWT INCOTEX ANCIENT THIRST 28 EUR L$$K!![​IMG]
    Buy It Now: $79.

An offer comes in: $25 shipped to Ulaanbataar.
    Implacable, he shoots back with a counter-bid: $35.
    The counter-offer: $30 to U.bataar, plus I'll offer you a J.Crew gift code.
    Bingo. Accept offer, bitches.

Time to post on SF about how some sucker just bought my piss-stained pants and gave me a coupon for it.

To be continued

-------------------
    Postscript: book offers from publishers accepted at largesumsconsidered@brownisforfarmer.com

11 people like this.
  7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

You are one odd duck :)

3 people like this.
  8. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

9. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

I want to pick up a couple of sleeveless cardigans to layer under suits next winter, I'm looking at burgundy and forest green - do you think these would be versatile?

10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Seb, sure. Forest Green in particular. A favourite brand of mine John Smedley, being particularly good.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  11. sebastian mcfox

Looking at the discounted S&C at Exquisite Trimmings, would they come recommended @Cleav? Thanks!

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

TBH I've never picked one up. That said they look great and anything Shaya stocks is always good.

The John Smedleys that I have are a very fine merino wool, i'm wearing a cardigan now actually, and they certainly aren't bulky whilst giving an extra layer. Horses for courses I suppose....

13. sebastian mcfox

Thanks mate :)

1 person likes this.
  14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I tried them on at Shaya's shop and they are really nice.  If you have an athletic body they are a bit bulky and odd looking in the waist...that's the only reason I didn't get one.

I really liked Cleav's Smedleys.

2 people like this.
  15. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

When going tieless and lunching in town
    A gilet is superb for dressing down
    Wear one with contrast, in green or tan
    And navy's a must for the discerning man
    Smedley is classic, but the fit is not right
    The placket's too narrow, the rib is too tight
    The polos are fine, but the gilets do enrage
    For a first-rate waistcoat, choose Drumohr -- in 30 gauge

1 person likes this.
  16. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

17. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

18. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Sounds better than WAYWRN.

3 people like this.
  19. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Rather more a series of selfies outlining the decline of Western civilization, but yes . . ..

Are you suggesting that we re-title the thread to ASOTDOWC? :satisfied:

1 person likes this.
  20. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think I have the ability to do that. I also think the powers that be would be upset if I did so.

2 people like this.