1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

What watch are you looking at?

2. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Get the watch, as it will be a daily reminder to you whence it came, and for her, a daily reminder of her generosity to you, and validation of her choice - will make her happy.

2 people like this.
  3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Get the watch. It's something you can wear most days and I find pieces like watches have a lot more sentimental value than something like a sport coat. It's also immune to you changing sizes (you can always add / subtract links if metal and get a different band / use a different hole if leather. Plus it sounds like your wife likes the watch idea better. Normally I'd say to get what you think is best, but since it's a gift from your wife, I'd go along with her wishes.

4. GuP

GuP Senior member

That is what she says.

Rolex Sea Dweller.

Edit - The damn thing is very expensive and it makes me wonder whether it is worth it. I can put that money in a IRA and watch it grow and be happy. Wife does not like the idea

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  5. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Or you could be struck by lightning tomorrow.

Ah, the choices we all face ....

Cheers,

Ac [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Get a watch! No question.

7. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am not a watch guy. I own three museum Movados because I think they are beautiful, but I never wear them. I don't see the point since they are always hidden by my sleeve. I understand that if you love watches, there doesn't need to be a point.

As you've mentioned, it is an expensive purchase. It also seems like you are on the fence about it; I don't think dropping a bunch of money on a luxury you aren't sure of is a good idea.

I took a negotians class some time ago. I remember very little, but what stuck with me is this: always understand what the other party truly wants.

Your wife may not want to get you a watch. Your wife may want to get you something meaningful (which neither clothing and an IRA are...though I admire the practicality of the latter). So think of a meaningful alternative, perhaps.

For the price of that watch, I imagine the two of you could spend a week or two in Europe. A trip is as ephemeral as it gets, but the memories and feelings are something you can share forever. Pick a place that you have always wanted to go (so she still feels it is a gift to you) but that she will also enjoy.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    2 people like this.
  9. GuP

GuP Senior member

I am not a watch guy either, but I understand why the watch is being recommended by many. I will see if I can figure out the wife's true intentions (easier said than done).

10. Claghorn

As a happily married man (of almost three years): just ask what about the watch appeals to her. I doubt anything is as important to marriage as establishing a norm of communication.

But that probably depends on the marriage.

11. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

While we're on this topic. Anyone wear anything else on their wrists? I've never been a watch type of guy, and I don't think I will in the future, but I do like the look of some wrist accessoiries.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm totally on board with Clags on this one (from immunity to watch lust to the need for open communication). I'd want to understand why my wife was insistent on spending thousands of dollars on a gift that she knows I would not actually appreciate that much.

13. Claghorn

I occasionally wear a black rubber "cause" bracelet for Korean sex slaves kidnapped during Japan's occupation of the peninsula. My wife and I donated to them a few times a year when we were living in Seoul.

Thankfully, that mess has almost been sorted out as of a few days ago. Still not happy with the wording of Japan's apology (never directly taking responsibility (e.g. "What happened with the military occupation was horrible...we feel a deep responsibility"), but I think that that's as good as it'll get and everyone should move on.

14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the relative utility of olive colored wool cavalry twills. I bought a pair in "British tan" last winter and love them despite being, at least in my neck of the woods, definitely seasonal.

. The twills are a nice change of pace from flannels and a second pair interests me. However, if they would only pair well with a narrow range of jackets, I will direct my attention elsewhere.

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Green trousers can be worn with grey jackets, blue jacket, brown jackets....they are versatile. I prefer a dark hunter green though.

1 person likes this.
  16. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Viola Milano bracelets...if you're not wearing 20 (at least) per arm, you need to reassess your wrist game.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. GuP

GuP Senior member

Well let's not get carried away here. I would appreciate the watch - just a matter of picking one's vice

1 person likes this.
  18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Olive trousers can be very useful. I personally prefer dark green (and have a pair of cords in this color), but I think having at least one of the two is valuable.

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I love watches, but not enough to have a very expensive one. I just think about everything else I could use the money on, similar to what you mention. It may be that part of your dilemma is that you would like a watch, but do not want to spend such a significant amount on a watch at this point in your life. What about agreeing on a simpler watch that will allow your wife to give you a sentimental keepsake without the corresponding guilt? Perhaps there might be a little left over for some clothing as a result.

20. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Do you actually rock viola milano bracelets though?