1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mimo

mimo Senior member

There is nothing out there beyond Styleforum. Only tight suits, neck tattoos and some dragons. Stay here. Here is best.

2 people like this.
  2. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

@Claghorn

Clags,

Could you rattle off your "recommended Holiday reading" - websites, instagrams, tumblrs, blogs, etc. that you go to on a regular basis? I suspect a lot of people would get a lot out of that. Thanks,

WtL

3. europrep

europrep Senior member

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I like to read other people's viewpoints, and sometimes longform written in cohesive, well thought out verbiage is nice. Plus, they have some really beautiful pictures that could be used for inspiration. Many of the areas they specialize in aren't as much written about on SF/most blogs (ex - Parisian tailoring is confined to only one small thread on SF, but has some of the most beautiful jackets in the world).

1 person likes this.
  5. Chaconne

Chaconne Senior member

I like the Rake but every time I'm in a store looking through it I talk myself out of actually buying it. There was a beautiful DB in the latest issue so I just took a picture of it rather than paying 7 bucks.

6. venividivicibj

yeah, i've almost subscribed a few times... and then just closed the browser window.

7. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

The articles for the rake are quite good.

1 person likes this.
  8. venividivicibj

confusing thing for me initially was that The Rake (Japanese) is not the same as The Rake (English)

9. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

Preface: Not blaming you in any way. Sheeeeit happens.

Unfortunately, the seller on Grailed did not ship the item, never responded to my e-mails, and even added a fake 5 star review claiming "shipped quickly" and "communicated well." What really pisses me off is that I contacted him on Paypal and said that I was willing to wait if he had unforeseen IRL issues. He rewards my kindness with a fake review. :censored:

Merry Christmas to all, regardless.

1 person likes this.
  10. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Rake English version contains no information whatsoever.

While its counterpart is really good, I would rank it up there with Men's Precious.

Don't think I've ever "learned" anything deep from these magazines, though, just where and when to buy stuff.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I actually don't follow/read any blogs or tumblrs -_-.

I'll post my favorite IG's in a bit. I think there is already a thread for that somewhere

12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

People are looking for different things.

I agree that if one simply wants to look at pictures the net suffices. And if one has reason to keep up with changes in fashion (say, one's in the business) then magazines and other periodicals might be needed.

For other information books are often still the best bet.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  13. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Good question clag. I dont know, I like things related to fashion. Yes there are tons of nice pics and articles online, but I enjoy having physical things too.

1 person likes this.
  14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Merry Xmas to all!

I arrived at SF three years ago thinking I was already a good dresser - how wrong I was.

The visual feedback and thumbs system are imperfect, but they have really helped me lift my game. Sure, it's a popularity contest. Sure, it's a mutual kopsterbation session. All those things.

I've noticed that my thumb count has gone steadily up and up, and I'm pretty sure that it's partly because I'm now "known" and "liked" by a certain subgroup of regular readers. So I'm more focused these days on my relative thumb count. If I post a fit and it gets less thumbs than usual, I go back to it and look critically to try and figure out where I went wrong.

I also post fits far less frequently than before. I'm focusing more on quality now. If I put a rig together and feel good about it, I'll post it. Otherwise, what's the point? I'm not going to learn anything.

So for me, the site is still very much a learning resource.

4 people like this.
  15. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

The Rake has good articles that, to my knowledge, are not
    Available for free online. That's why I like it and consider getting a subscription.

16. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Twill vs. Poplin for business shirts? Twill too wrinkly?

17. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

The opposite: poplin is wrinkly. Yet, more formal.

3 people like this.
  18. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I've found that twill comes out of the wash a creased mess, and then holds a press better. Poplin, on the other hand, comes out with shallow wrinkles, and then gets a bit rumpled by mid-day.

I like 'em both, and wouldn't want to have a wardrobe of exclusively one or the other.

Really, I think that's an undercurrent of the SF mentality: wanting the OneCloth or OneCollar or OneCut or OneTieWidth at the expense of variety. Not that it's bad – but it's good enough to stand up to questioning it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I'd use twill for most of my standard shirts, though I have a Poplin more formal shirt. Want to change it to a wider spread collar though.

2 people like this.
  20. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

I'm thinking about trying one of Spier and Mackay's dress shirts as a cheaper alternative to the Luxire route I'd begun using. Their contemporary fit measurements are similar to my Luxire profile, so I might grab this one to test them out.

http://www.spierandmackay.com/product_information/3788_sky_blue_fine_twill

[​IMG]

They also have a similar poplin:

[​IMG]

I think I'll go twill first.