1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Looked up Tom Ford... 8.5cm! That is as wide as my normal ties.
    I was thinking 8cm. Most are 7cm.
    Do most of you go with 7?

2. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Sozzi knits are 3" (about 8 cm) and they are perfect. Dense weave too, which prevents them from being too transparent.

3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Looking on their site and they are listed as 6.5cm. Have things changed?

4. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

5. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I just want a black, 8cm, non-curvy pointed knit tie in silk. Is that so much to ask? [​IMG]

6. GuP

GuP Senior member

What color shirts go well with mid-olive colored chinos?

Burgundy colored shoe-wear seem to match well with olive chinos.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  7. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Currently sold out, but Knottery ties are well regarded here, and they are 8.5 cm. Kent Wang has them in 7 cm.

Light blue. Navy. White. Cream. Light pink.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Yes, I have a couple.

9. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I have a pair of loafers for which my instep isn't an ideal fit. Usually, you'd stretch out shoes at a cobbler's to make more room width wise (horizontally). But has anyone tried to do this to make more room for the feet vertically rather than horizontally? I know this isn't an ideal solution, and I don't expect wonders, but thought I'd ask.

10. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

8cm is too wide for a knit. Doesn't look good, like wearing a shawl instead of a tie. 7cm is ok.

1 person likes this.
  11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Each to his own, but wider knit tie would, I think, lead logically to a grossa grenadine

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  12. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like wider knits. They should be more narrow at the area where the knot is tied though, IMHO.

13. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

I realize it's probably an unfair bias, but I have a hard time trusting $35 for a good knit tie.

1 person likes this.
  14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

It's $35...just find out for yourself. I took a chance on someone's reccomendation and was really happy with them. I've worn them both multiple times and have had no issues. Just in case you are wondering...yes, I paid full price for them. They weren't given to me.

1 person likes this.
  15. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Please click back a few pages to hear my most recent alterations escapade.

Let's not beat around the bush, here... Bottom line it for me. I'm ready to commission a full wardrobe replacement from this guy!

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

No matter where you go, start slow. Commission a single piece at a time. Do this for two reasons. It allows you to determine the competence of a tailor before you sink a bunch of money into him. It also means that each subsequent commission is better than the previous one.

As far as this particular tailor, I know nothing about him but I have heard horror stories about the availability of decent tailors in Florida.

They also seem to use pictures of other tailors. For example, they include this picture of our @David Reeves on their Facebook.
    [​IMG]

and instead of showing their work, they show a lot of images from ads and advertisments and a few stock images. The one piece of work I can find that certainly is theirs doesn't inspire confidence:

[​IMG]

Though it isn't much to go on, what we do see really shouldn't inspire confidence (shoulder issues and a massive collar gap).

----

Bottom Line

I would strongly advise you to look elsewhere and look with patience. If there is a Suit Supply nearby, try on some of their models. If they fit decently, enquire into their MTM program. Or order a trial suit from Kent Wang. If it fits well, return it and use him for MTM (if it doesn't, then it's better to try and find in person MTM or bespoke). You also might keep an eye out for any decent traveling tailors, though I don't know of any that come to Florida.

4 people like this.
  17. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I have a feeling that the mitred-bottom knit is an internet-inspired compromise for ppl who aren't comfortable with a square ended tie. Anyone know the pointed knit provenance? pictures in Esky or AA?

imo a proper knit tie must have the square end. If you don't like the square end, consider staying with grenadine or woven silk ties.

1 person likes this.
  18. GuP

GuP Senior member

Is mid-olive considered an old man color? Trying to see if I should cop. Sale at bb.

Would work with navy or pinkish polo

19. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

20. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

It appears that we now have a very well defined class system at SF to help us distinguish between the upper, middle and lower class. As you are in a lower class, I choose not to answer your post.

2 people like this.