1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Well for one, I don't understand this rules thing? I wear chukas (as in open lacing ankle boot) with suits all the time. I wear this with navy suit when I feel like it

[​IMG]

I also wear oxfords with jeans (in suede usually).

But, loafers I would only wear (would as in if someone would give them to me) in suede and with say jeans while sipping wine with chick half my age and telling her how life is suffering.

2. europrep

europrep Senior member

Tassels aren't required. Can just be your typical cord Alden loafer. But I agree with what you are saying

1 person likes this.
  3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I think we all agree that it is an eastern establishment look, but the essentialist nature of that comment and whether that is relevant to a discussion on loafers in a wider context is dubious. Some might find the Alden cordovan tassel loafer in a business context as outmoded as the institutions in which it is found.

4. colco

colco Senior member

I"ve owned a pair. I am not "part of the establishment" however. They don't fit my feet. Loafers in general are problematic in that regard for me.

5. europrep

europrep Senior member

To expand on this a bit. At what point is someone offended enough for it to alter a decision? If you are interviewing someone or doing a deal with someone, are you more turned off by if their shoes are well maintained or the style differs from the occasion?

6. colco

colco Senior member

I can't imagine anyone I know being offended by someone else wearing loafers or laced shoes.
    Personally, I find it disrespecful to dress really casually at funerals and weddings and such.
    In business, I'm fairly tolerant, because most people simply don't know. If effort is made to look "professional" (suit or jacket, tie, leather shoes), I don't think much more about it.

2 people like this.
  7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

+1 Alter a decision? never, probably. I mean, I like clothes, but I'm not crazy. And yes, all but a few ppl on these here boards know or care about correct deployment of suede loafers [​IMG].

1 person likes this.
  8. colco

colco Senior member

More than anything I just feel lots of people miss out on some simple pleasures by essentially wearing the same thing all the time. There's no....ceremony I guess I'd call it that comes with wearing a suit.
    They're also duller and less well rounded for not being able to interperet the nuance of color, textures seasonal appropriateness of items, etc.

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Did you really laugh out loud at this? Was it that funny?

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

If your best candidate gets passed over in favor of your second best candidate because the former wore loafers and the latter wore oxfords, your business is doomed. Unless, of course, you own a shoe store, in which case, eh, maybe.

3 people like this.
  11. colco

colco Senior member

I glossed over this earlier. Maintenance of shoes and clothing plus hygeine are different. I judge them more harshly.

1 person likes this.
  12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

At isolations consistent camera woes? Absolutely.

13. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Just sent a mass mailing letting employees know that, going forward, anyone not wearing loafers at all times will be summarily dismissed.

3 people like this.
  14. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Or derbies, bluchers, or ...

For what it’s worth, I’m a ‘baby boomer’ who grew up in the American northeast, and I dressed in the usual prep-style when in high school. I certainly had a pair of penny loafers back then, though neither I nor any of my classmates wore them without socks as far as I can recall, and I don’t think I wore them with a suit either (though I rarely wore suits back then anyway).

That said, I don’t think I’ve owned a pair of loafers since I was in my 20s.

As an academic I suspect I’m part of the ‘eastern establishment’ by definition, if not, perhaps, as firmly entrenched a part of it as I would be if I were, say, a banker.

There's a lot of regional diversity not only with regard to whether or not one should wear loafers with a suit, but also whether or not it's appropriate to wear them without socks. In my experience loafers without socks aren’t all that unusual in Italy in the summer. I’ve also been told that they’re commonly seen in the south of France as well. I can’t testify from experience regarding the latter, though I’m sure that others here, @EFV perhaps, can. Out of curiosity, how do people feel about the sockless look?

Cheers,

Ac

15. colco

colco Senior member

I like it in a casual outfit. Hate it when I see it with a business suit and oxfords.

1 person likes this.
  16. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

[​IMG]

17. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I would find it difficult to really trust someone in sockless loafers. I find these people to be shifty, unreliable and louche.

2 people like this.
  18. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

2 people like this.
  19. europrep

europrep Senior member

That was actually my point. I do know people that will refuse to hire someone if there shoes are not well maintained. It doesn't matter the style of shoe. People can feel fee to disagree, but the fact that there are people factoring this into their hiring decisions should be considered.

20. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a pretty high sport coat to suit ratio, and I rarely wear my loafers. I generally will wear them if I've arrived home and need to leave again for a quick errand.

---

I've never gone sockless and never will, but I like it on the right person in the right outfit

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.