Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know I am late but this is the reason Doc Holliday is my fave poster from the old regime.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

This and his willingness to wear white shirts.

3. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I've not checked out Mr. Fields' but all I know is that his style is English, that is if I read his interview correctly. I am in agreement with you that I should figure out what exactly what I want and why I want it before I pull the trigger and I realize that I cannot get there unless I try on different styles and cuts. I wonder if just trying them on would give me enough ideas. Let me take a visit to Georgetown and hit SS, BB, and then Mr. Fields' after I make an appointment.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

This thread is going in circles with regards to Rudals. We're back at noodles trying to cop shiny zegnas, and the rest trying to convince him to go MTM/bespoke/anything but zegna. That's the point we were at when I started reading this thread about a week ago.

Just accept you have to go out there and get some experience, all this endless talking and going in circles won't get you anything you don't know already.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

5. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Beautiful model ... you make it really elegant

6. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Noodles and all

On jacket length. I think he should post a full length pic of himself wearing a jacket front and back and we can weigh in. I'm a bit puzzles by advice on length without a full visual sense of his proportions: height, arm length, torso length etc. A pic taken from waist level. We are being nit picky about everything else.

7. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Info overload. Take a few days off from all this nonsense, Rudals. Let some stuff sink in.

Right now everyone is just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks. There's absolutely no flow to this thread - just random questions/comments at this point.

Just write down a plan or something and then execute it. I think this wardrobe project has been made infinitely more difficult than it needed to be.

8. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

9. TweedyProf

Agreed with MF and TM79.

Rudals, you need a vacation from this thread. It's done you a lot of good but I feel like there's a bit of back sliding. Take a vacation, turn off style forum for a week (yes, really). Fight the acquisition urge too, that often leads to bad quick decisions, especially when one is just finding one's sartorial footing. Take that 4K and plan a nice honeymoon. But most importantly look, look, feel, try things on in the meantime. Exercise your eye, not your wallet.

10. luv2breformed

I've tried to keep it on track, but it moves too quickly and solid discussions get buried imo. CBD tie discussion was great. Then we had a solid shoe discussion imo. We kind of trailed off after that with any real direction. This thread shines when the solid contributors who know what they are doing are providing loads of feedback to enquiring minds. I don't mind having a little fun in here, but when the solid contributors can't keep up and dispense wisdom as needed the thread begins to lack imo. By the time we got to shirts we were like 3-4 pages on that topic and it was done and back to joking off.

Also, I felt like I was pestering to get any feedback recently, asking the same questions over and over (tie purge, square purge). I gave up after a bit not wanting to be a nuisance. We could talk about so much more in terms of casual ties, shirts, squares etc.

That said, this thread isn't about me and I don't want to make it that way. I have already learned a metric ton and if people feel I am in a good spot, then I am happy to back off.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

no one else comes close.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Rudals, this is what you are going to do.

You will PM edmorel and have him make you a Panta custom suit. The cost will be a lot less than Fields and he is intimately familial with what SFers like and he has great taste and will guide you through the process. Do it.

In the meantime get that Formosa from NMWA as soon as its back in stock in your size.

13. TweedyProf

I think Clags tried to get some traction with his 25 ties and desert island post. The tie discussion at the beginning was good; shoes as well.

I come here in part because there are many people here weighing in whose opinion I have enjoyed and learn from. It has remained "exclusive" but not intentionally so. Then it's a nice "salon" space to talk about clothes and more subtle issues regarding them.

If I felt like I was one of those in charge, I might try to set topics. At best, I can only broach some possibilities. For example, we just mentioned jacket length. I feel like I have the theory, but not necessarily the eye. We could talk about that for a bit (e.g. I really can't help but feel that Vox's pic that JRD posted several pages back was on the short side of an acceptable range). Or we could talk about pairing hanks with very strongly patterned jackets, as in Monkeyface's lovely Belvest in the WAYWRN thread (a version of the good taste thread but for non CBD situations). Or heck, we can debate Foo's first five pics in the GT thread.

Small topics of interest and which are challenging (and we can, of course, still answer questions give advice to L2BR and JR...Rudals, turn off your browser now![​IMG]).

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I DO THINK WE CAN MAKE AN EFFORT TO KEEP THE GIFS AND NYUK NYUKS TO A (reasonable) MINIMUM.
    It'll make it easier for folks to follow the content.

And I do like the idea of thinking about shoes.

And taking a break from buying would probably be good from Rudals. Though I still think he should visit Georgetown.

Stitchy, I think that NWMA and Panta is a little soon, as awesome as those recommendations might be.

As far as shoes go....

who had what problem?

15. luv2breformed

Fair enough. FWIW I find the desert island tie collections from each of the council to be quite helpful.

I'll weigh in on jacket length. I read somewhere that a proper jacket is the same distance from the ground to hem as it is from hem to bottom of collar. To test this I took one of my jackets that I have always felt was a touch long on me. I measured it from the bottom of collar to the bottom of the jacket and it came to 31". I then put the jacket on and measured from the floor to the hem of the jacket and it came to 29". I then took a jacket that I like the length on and tried the same. Sure enough, I got 30" doing it both ways.

When I go based off of my hands, I can wear the 31" jacket and still curl my fingers under the hem, but it's because I have longer arms. The 30" jacket simply looks much more proportinate to my eye.

What say the council about this method for determining jacket length?