1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Went outside for the first time in 3 months and discovered that most people wear sneakers and puffy coats. Was by no means iGent level dressed, just a sweater, but I felt like I had crash landed from Neptune.

1 person likes this.
  2. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

I will let you know...just as soon as I actually receive them haha.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

I am sure you looked very beautiful and girls were turning their heads

4. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

At least three tried to make me hold their handbag but I pushed them onto the pavement and was like bish plzz talk to the hand
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

One of the many advantages of having a husband rather than a wife is that my husband doesn't carry a purse (or a murse, for that matter). So much less angst than you straight boys.

7 people like this.
  6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

My spouse occasionally has a filson briefcase packed full with hardcover 17th century literature, which I have to help carry on top of my own, so I'm not entirely sure if it's an improvement. =[

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  7. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

If you were really from Neptune, you'd have a puffy coat. It's cold there.

2 people like this.
  8. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I have a black leather bag with the relative size and formfactor of a camera bag and I jam electronic equipment in there when I have to board a train and work on the go. Is this a murse? It has a shoulder strap.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

They just make you hold other stuff.

10. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

...my man~ dats how u do it~

11. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

Ugh...and no periods to deal with.

12. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

Imma gonna let my wife carry my guitar and the amp. She needs a good workout. 20 pounds per item. Oh yeah~

13. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Senior member

I have a number of Gold Toe wool-blend Windsors, as well as a number of pure wool Gammarelli. GT aren't much thicker, nor are they any worse, necessarily, than the Gammarelli. The Gammarelli are softer and more breathable, but the trade-off is that they don't hold their shape very well. The Gold Toe look great, hold up all day, and are better for the winter months.

This idea that quality socks should never under any circumstances contain a molecule of synthetics is pure twaddle left over from the seventies. Pure wool and cotton socks never worked at all well until recently, and even now have a number of significant drawbacks. The newer synthetics really do help the sock perform as it ought.

Gold Toes in navy and dark grey are, for all aesthetic purposes, indistinguishable from more expensive pure wool socks. I mean, my Gammarellis have a gorgeous, sensual hand that feels great when I put them in my drawer. However, nobody's lovingly stroking your socks. And if someone is, I think they like you well enough that the deal can be sealed without Gammarelli.

Also, they wear out about three times quicker than Gold Toe, so you have to factor that into the already elevated price. I tend to buy Gammarelli for warmer months, and when I want awesome colors that aren't available in cheaper socks. The planet has become so brutally, horrifically hot that I rarely wear socks at all in summer now. Call me an iGent if you want, preferably while you are wringing the sweat out of your clothes.

An even better budget sock that the Gold Toe is the Land's End wool OTC. Works great; it's a little lighter and softer.

3 people like this.
  14. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Never actually heard of this. You sure you aren't worn through and just skating around on your socks?

Bresciani, that is. Gold Toe socks would be too coarse to achieve any slippage.

15. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Not anti-synthetics. Even most high end sized socks contain some elastic in the rib so that it fits better.
    It's more about the thickness. Most are knitted with too low a gauge.

16. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

You must have an exceptionally heavy guitar. And not a combo amp.

17. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Come on, that's uncalled for. No one is asking or forcing you to change your views, and in fact everyone's been quite mild and polite with how they're disagreeing with you when they do, but you don't have to come out with that period bs when you know very well that's offensive and sexist. You're just being intentionally antagonistic here.

Like you of all people have the least right to complain about women's supposed "emotional instability". The irony is off the charts.

4 people like this.
  18. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Senior member

The synthetic thing wasn't aimed at you particularly. I did notice some anti-synthetic sentiment somewhere here, though.

Yeah, they are coarser, but my Shetland sweaters are coarser than my merino polo sweaters. I wouldn't say one is inferior to the other.

19. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

This. Yarn gauge is 90% of a fine sock and the needle stitching etc.

Though i would emphasise the point that synthetics in socks simply sucks. My anti-synthetic stance is not just for highfalutin purposes; i mainly wear wool socks and IME wool-blended with synthetics (i am stating less than 85% wool) really pills and struggles to stay up.

20. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Uh oh, this feels like McCarthyism...!
    I treat it as underwear. While I grok that a chunky, thicker wool sock could have some applications for a ramblin around the mountaintops outfit (and I do have a few for such purposes -- namely in a sandy beige, I think Marcoliani), I'm more comfortable wearing fine high gauge socks even with a Shetland sweater. I want constancy and streamlining, not changing my toothpaste seasonally.