1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Now she just needs a tweed suit and she'll be set.

4 people like this.
  2. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

What is the difference between toilet and potty?

3. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

I would assume that "toilet" is an actual functioning piece of indoor plumbing, whereas "potty" would be a child-sized version of an old-fashoined chamber pot.

4. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Ah, that makes sense. Good etymological sleuthing. Pot, ergo, potty. I thought one was just baby talk for the other.
    Evidently I need to be potty trained in these matters.

5. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Better to be potty trained than potty mouthed.

2 people like this.
  6. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Bresciani has the perfect shade. Unfortunately, it's not always stocked at the usual retailers. If you decided to get 6 pair you could probably get ASW or Kabbaz to get you a box, though.

7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

OK, clags-on-dunny notwithstanding, I'm not finished with bags.

@Cao Cao gets what I'm talking about. It's an Asian thing. I just saw way too much of this man-carrying-female-partner's-bag thing in Shanghai when I lived there, and I can most definitely affirm that it is all part of the cultural emasculation of the average Shanghainese male.

These poor buggers are pussy-whipped and pitiful. And the women do it very deliberately. They talk about it to each other on WeChat. Mothers teach it to their daughters. All the various strategies for keeping the man in his box.

You know that in Chinese culture, the male breadwinner hands over 100% of his salary to wifey who then manages it, including doling out tiny amounts for him to buy his playlunch every now and then.

I take Iso's points about gender roles, the true meaning of masculinity and all that. So let me qualify my observations by restricting my analysis to normative cis-cis couples. Occasional handbag-carrying might well be chivalrous in Western settings; in Oriental settings though, it's part of a broader, society-approved gonad shrinkage of the male.

2 people like this.
  8. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

This sounds terrible.

1 person likes this.
  9. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

When you think about the dark history (really over?) of the side effects of the one child policy and what happened to unwanted female offspring, I'd say it's some sort of redemption (if not sweet vengeance). Albeit, notwithstanding that the above described handling is probably limited to or at least more prominent in the "better off" society spectrum.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    3 people like this.
  10. Claghorn

Maybe in China (as opposed to all of East Asia); it wasn't something I saw much of in South Korea. It happens, but the wife barefoot in the kitchen while the husband drinks and whores is much more common (much, much more common. It isn't cheating if it's paid for is a common refrain amongst businessmen). I don't think I've seen the meek boyfriend carrying a purse around archetype in anyone over 25.

I'm surprised most Chinese male professionals don't have a separate bank account for discretionary spending that the wife doesn't have access to (common in Seoul).

Though men often do a fair job of (superficially) emasculating themselves there. Korean men by more make up than any country in the world. Again, probably a phase in life for them. I take it that the behavior you're talking about extends beyond the early 20's?

3 people like this.
  11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I must confess that I can't bring myself to pay real money for socks. I see the prices on ASW, and I just can't do it. Also—StyFo sacrilege alert—my favorite socks are a blend of synthetic and mercerized cotton.

12. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

[​IMG]

Edit: I was talking about cotton, not vintage alpaca, by the way, does that help any? I mostly wear cotton year-round (run hot). Are your socks 99c apiece?

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. Claghorn

15. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I would have expected that from the likes of you, you, you -- shoe hater.
    Gold Toe is ony sold in malls, correct? And those things are thick enough to kill a wombat with. Proper athletic socks.

16. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Senior member

I use them interchangeably for anything that isn't her britches or the floor.

This rusty oil can? What? You're gonna use it? GREAT IT'S A POTTY TOILET CRAP IN IT FOR THE LOVE OF MERCIFUL GOD

1 person likes this.
  17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Agreed. It also does't happen much in Taiwan, Hong Kong … or really anywhere else I've been over there except China IME. Sure I've seen it occasionally, but it being a conscious effort of keeping the man "whipped" must be a Mainland thing. Fuck Shanghai bitches anyway… mostly gold diggers.

18. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Yeah, a lot of them are pretty bad.

Years ago when I was a single man in Shanghai, I invited an attractive girl out for lunch. She turned up with two female friends, who I (obviously) hadn't invited.

So at the end, when the bill came, I put my share on the table. There was an embarrassed pause, and then they all did the same.

Later this girl had the effrontery to tell me how much face she'd lost, bla bla bla. I just laughed in her face and said "well, I didn't invite them. If you'd turned up by yourself, naturally I'd have paid for both of us." ["...but that's only because I want to fuck you." - this bit left unsaid.]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    4 people like this.
  20. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

That is pure gold.

My wife only ever ask me to hold the purse/ bag in emergencies. The idea of a gonadised man next to her repulses her to the core. In her culture, there is a strict demarcation of male/female roles in society. Curiously, there is little acceptance of the concept of submissive partner. The missus rules at home and within the family, the man rules vis a vis everything outside. There are exceptions, of course.