1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Yes. This expanded usage is annoying because it leaves us without a name for what as originally called "trolling"; and the clever metaphor (from fishing) doesn't make sense in other contexts.

That said, actual trolling is just a special case of the sort of pathological attention-seeking behavior that the internet encourages.

I'm usually pretty successful in simply ignoring it. In my time on SF I've only 'blocked' one poster, for example.

Cheers,

Ac

2. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

In its best form, though, good trolling can be satisfying for the perpretrator(s) in the way that a prank or practical joke is fun for those in on it -- like dispensing obviously dubious advice to a newbie as part of a hazing ritual.

Foo style behavior is definitely pathological, though. Overinflated ego/delusions of grandeur etc

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Guys, I just received a tweed trenchcoat from Luxire but they made it quarter lined. Do you think I should and it back to have the lining added in? Is it even a big deal?

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Get it fully lined. Gonna be a lotta friction between the tweed at the jacket underneath

5. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I'll have to send it back though :( maybe ill see if I can send it over summer.

6. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Tell them to make you a completely new one and send it fully-lined.

7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I think I might have been not overly clear in what I wanted, I'm not sure, I'll have to check my emails. :S I didn't specify how much lining, just asked for lining color. I guess I thought it was obvious if you make a coat in tweed and 20 oz twill you're going to want it lined. Sleeves aren't lined either, that sounds like an even bigger problem. Ugh. I love the coats otherwise though.

So the tweed one is a problem (though so far I've worn it on top of shirtsleeves so there's no problem there, but do you think a cavalry twill would be okay? It's quite smooth after all, maybe it won't be a huge deal? Sigh. Feeling really meh about it now.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  8. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

[​IMG]

Some initial photos of my "3 piece".

10 people like this.
  9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

10. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

As long as we're (kinda) discussing overcoats..

I recently purchased this navy overcoat from SuSu: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/new_arrivals/blue-double-breasted-coat/J417I.html?cgid=New_Arrivals

I'll get a fit pic when Kentucky weather permits again. It's one of the best fitting garments I've ever owned. However, this was purchased to be my main winter coat (I know, peak lapels and all that, but I wanted to live a little) and I'm worried that the slight sheen of the fabric will make it too formal to be worn with very many outfits.

Anyone have any suggestions of fits besides suits that would work well with this overcoat? I've only had a chance to wear it twice, both times were with odd jackets and chinos. I also have a couple tweed driving caps I'm excited to wear again, but I'm worried about a formality clash against the coat. I probably should have picked a less formal fabric... But my only coat buying experiences have been with cheap overcoats, where you don't need to worry about things like that!

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

No like? :eek:

For the coat I think it's quite a luxury to have coats for each kind of fit, it's probably fine to just have a casual one (duffle of something), a cbd one, and a rustic one (tweed etc). Yours fit as a cbd one I think, though I've found mid gray best for that.

You can go for something like this though?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I think it's too matchy matchy. I think there should be some contrast between the overcoat and the rest of the outfit, especially a suit. I also suspect that's what @El Argentino may have been thinking. You look a bit like a villain from a movie.

13. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

But it's a three piece surely by definition it has to be matchy matchy?

If it's not clear its trousers, waistcoat, and coat, so eschewing the usual coat in a three piece for a trenchcoat. I figured it'd be useful as very often indoor heating means wearing too many layers is not practical, but having a thick overcoat that you can take off indoors would be good, and a waistcoat avoids the coatless tie issue and covers the body.

1 person likes this.
  14. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

It's not my cup of tea...but you can do whatever you want!

15. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Well on the plus side it has plenty of wearability even if not worn together. I do quite like it as this though, in a melodramatic kind of way.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Iso, I'm digging your modified three-piece.

As for Luxire, it seems odd that they would make the coats with no sleeve lining. The half-lining for the rest of the coat is unusual, but not quite rising to the level of odd IMO. Nonetheless, contact them and let them know your concerns. Ship the coats back and have them add the sleeve linings at a minimum. If the coats are sufficiently warm, you may or may not want to get them fully lined. Although the tweed might hang up a bit on a regular jacket, the weight of additional fabric might make that less of an issue with the overcoat.

1 person likes this.
  17. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

18. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

But, no it isn't. I mean, yeah, it is, but uhn uhn also. It's a three piece in that it has three matching pieces, but it isn't a three piece suit. It's matching vest, trousers, and overcoat. Three piece suits are matchy matchy because they are suits. This comes off to me as a fashion forward, runway kind of deal, which if you are going for that, then great!

19. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I am a bit of a (wannabe) dandy, I own it, but I do try to keep it in line or at least with reference to trad tastes and ideas, and this one seems reasonably coherent/consistent to me. It was a fun idea anyway, one in which, in the worst case, I'd have to wear them separately.

I hope to hear from them soon. So far on my first wearing it's been no big deal at all. Since I plan on wearing it with a vest or at least no jacket quite often (matching or not, I do have other vests, an olive one for instance, that would go well with it), it's not a huge deal as I imagine it's only a big deal if the tweed is rubbing against other tweed a or something like flannel where the friction could be bad for the fabric.

1 person likes this.
  20. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I think the Matrix look has as much to do with the mise-en-scene of mirrors and elevator than the coat itself.