1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mimo

mimo Senior member

www.herringshoes.co.uk have some Loakes on sale. Some of their own brand stuff is also made by Loake. You can search sale items by size.

@OdusBK , further to what I said above, I notice that Pediwear have a couple from Barker that are very much in your zone - assuming you want something to wear with a jacket and tie, and calf rather than polished leather. Still under budget. But if you want more of a shit-kicker, look up the Grenson "Sid" as well: it's from their G2 line (made in India), but a solid welted shoe, and you can find myriad colours and offers if you search around. Pediwear had at least one, but also Eastdane often has them, possibly Yoox, but either way someone always has some on sale in one configuration or another.

1 person likes this.
  2. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

@GuP the Loake Kempton through Herringshoes is about $274 shipped. As noted, the AE is on sale for $279. The former is a little darker and has a flat welt with Dainite. The latter has a split welt and a buytle sole (though interestingly, their smooth and grain Dundees are on Dianite).

If my math and memory are right, Carmina jacked their U.S. prices on their suede chukkas an even higher rate than their mainline calf models. But, one hears good things about them.

This reminds me: how far up the formality scale can one go with a flat welt, dark brown suede chukka? OJT?

3. GuP

GuP Senior member

Will check those out. How does that Loake size when compared to Carmina Rain or CJ?

Re AE Dundee - not a fan. Have seen them in persona and they are a bit...chunky?

Any recs for fall sweaters to be worn in the Northeast? Mostly will wear casual

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  4. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

For a suede chukka take a look at Kent Wang. I'm stuck on a pair of broge suede AE Malvern until I can budget for another shoe but the KW are probably what I'll upgrade these to in a year or so.

1 person likes this.
  5. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

I wear the same size in carmina Rain, Inca and CJ Edgewear (348) last. Same size as the Loakes. For 4250 delivered, with shipping, tax etc at the price point you are looking for, its a no-brainer. I should add, i really wanted Danite soles, so maybe there are other option without Danite. http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/5631.php

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

@flvinny521

Brown knit. Very versatile and will go with that shirt.

4 people like this.
  7. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

A brown grenadine is already on the shopping list, possibly Kent Wang. That work?

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I say knit over grenadine here, but that should certainly work. Rust would also be very nice.

2 people like this.
  9. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Maybe I'll get one color in a knit and the other in grenadine. Thanks for your advice.

10. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Senior member

Totally agree with Clags on this. In the right setting I also quite like a solid blue tie with a green patterned shirt.

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

+1 Loake. I have both Pimlico and Kempton, think I prefer Pimlico but presumably it differs for everyone. Close enough.

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I like that fabric, very nice. The wear-green-on-Friday requirement strikes me as pretty fucking weird though.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

You no like it, the Irish?

14. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

@Coxsackie have you posted your B&T fit yet? Suck up the humidity and do us all a favour!

1 person likes this.
  15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Wasn't the price hike like $20?

16. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

[​IMG] omg not $20!

They should lower prices for American customers with the cheap Euro...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  17. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

You're right, it is, but I think my job may be different than the professional types that likely comprise the majority of CM posters. I am in a customer facing role that is basically a glorified retail position for company who uses green in their branding and advertising.

18. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Yeah, price hike wasn't even that much.

They should lower the prices... but US retailers like Leffot, Armoury, etc are complaining to the shoemakers about lower margins and more competition from EU stores who can undercut, so the shoemakers are setting solid reselling values now (resulting in the price increase of EG by ~$200, and StC of ~$400), to bring them more in line with said US retailers.

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

In fairness to OP, I think the price hike was closer to $100 as we were getting Carminas for the low $300's for a few months and they're now in the $400's. That said, it wasn't so much a price hike as it was a return to normal for those that have been buying Carminas for a few years.

2 people like this.
  20. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

And let's be honest. Some of the state side retailers have been gouging the price for quite some time. I bought my first Carmina's from their store in Paris circa 2009 and the price has always been around $300usd-$400usd.

I bought my first pair for around $300 and that was when the euro was crazy.

$500-$600 for Carmina's is high.

1 person likes this.