1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Very helpful, thanks. The batch for cappelli is all with F/W in mind, so I need to get the order in soon.

The herringbone is the NMWA Formosa, I am having it made bespoke. I have a fitting today. It is much bluer irl, which I like. I am sure not a yard left though, I had no idea a tie took that much fabric! Learn something new every day.

2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Very much to my own benefit, as it so happens.

1 person likes this.
  3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Classic!

FWIW, half of the Cappelli ties I own did not come out to spec. With customs and shipping to Italy (and duties on the return), I never bothered to get them fixed. C'est la vie. I enjoy looking at them in my closet, though.

2 people like this.
  4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

That's "lo vero stilo napolitano": the talent to brand sloppy workmanship and poor quality control as "the unique, individual character of traditional handwork" [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

As the proud current owner of the "ex-Noodles" Cappelli, I can say there's nothing sloppy about it at all. It's a very fine tie.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

I didn't measure my 2 Hober's but the overall experience, and price, and quality has left me as a customer for life. At least for solids (I have 1 reppe and 1 Gren Fina) I don't feel a need to look anywhere else.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

Double Post

8. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

Is it just me? Do I get so wound up on measurements because I am a numbers guy?!

Glad @Coxsackie is enjoying the tie. I was not happy with his response either. He said, "What do you want me to do?! It is really not much variance."

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Cao Cao, nearly everything handmade is going to have some allowance. I believe Hober explicitly advertises their margin of error on the website. Also keep in mind that when we are talking about 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch, there is possibility for measurement error.

3 people like this.
  10. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

Yes, there are a lot of factors that could affect how the final product comes out when a product is being handmade. I just was foolish to expect better. Never had problems with HOBERS' but Cappelli was not a pleasant experience.

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

None of my Hobers vary that much. Which isn't to say there isn't a Hober out there that does. But (and this is second hand knowledge), David will hold onto a tie whose measurements are off and make another rather than send it out.

This is the best response. Handmade and imperfect should cost the same as machinemade and perfect. If you are paying a premium, you should be getting handmade and perfect (or reasonably close to it...not 86%).

2 people like this.
  12. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

No, sir. It is pretty important to me and i have gotten into heated exchanges with both my alterations tailor, one of my tailors and a vendor or two over pretty sizable differences.

I endorse @Claghorn 's view that there should be very little margin of error (as close to perfect as possible) when paying for premium goods.

1 person likes this.
  13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

86%?

14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Incidentally, Hober's allowance for error is 1/8 inch in width and 1/4 inch in length per their website. I have never measured any of my Hobers, but I've also never noticed anything that looks off in any of my 50+ ties. I doubt discovering something was 1/4 inch too long would stop me from enjoying a tie that I otherwise like and wear. This doesn't mean quality control with handmade goods is not important (it is), but how often does 1/4 of an inch in length or 1/8 of an inch in width in a tie covered by one's jacket have any real impact on how the tie looks and functions. Maybe a tiny bit re: the width if you have your jacket off, but that's it.

15. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

This is my view. No Hober's yet for me, but I have a few Yellow Hook ties that seem (I have not measured, and have no compulsion to do so) to vary ever so slightly in terms of width and length.

All in all, it causes zero consternation to me, and I love them all, and wear them without giving even the most fleeting of thoughts to width variation lol.

16. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Do you ever spend much time worrying about girth variation?

2 people like this.
  17. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

He doesn't.

She does.

3 people like this.
  18. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

19. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Oh snap edmorel thumbed my post. Just got the pervert imprimatur [​IMG]

20. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I like the color just fine and if you are looking for something lighter, you could do worse than Brooks Brothers. Do you know what the structure is? I think a lot of the people in this thread tend to go either bespoke or custom MTM, so likely their opinions of OTR/RTW are less than favorable.