1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Senior member

If I need more tailored clothes than I'm wearing, I'll always pack them (along with dress shirts) in a long department store/tailor-style garment bag-- sometimes I'll put the items inside in separate plastic dry cleaning bags to prevent wrinkling. All of my other stuff goes in whatever carry-on I'm using (usually small enough to fit under a seat.) You can fit a surprisingly large amount of clothing this way, especially if you can stand to pack on wire hangers.

The best part about this system is that a garment bag like this will pretty much always fit in the overhead. There's also a decent chance of getting flight attendants to hang the garment bag in that little coat closet in first class.

I've tried "suiters" and garment bag-luggage combos and found them to be a poor compromise.

2. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

That's actually a good idea.
    Real garment bags are way too cumbersome. There is always one fool who brings those on the plane. (With apologies to the posters above)

3. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

4. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  5. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^ Scroll up from that post. It might be on a previous page depending on whether you're looking on mobile or desktop. Steve Yoo mentioned the NY agent and provided a contact email address.

6. WhereNext

WhereNext Senior member

The bolded part: amazingly effective at preventing wrinkles! The first time someone told me that, I laughed, but now I never travel without doing it. It's a great tip.

7. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ed,

I planted at our current workshop in Chiang Mai on level former rice fields, madder seeds about two years ago and they grew very well without much care.

Then one day they were accidentally covered over by a tractor.

Now we are almost finished building a new workshop again in Chiang Mai but in the hills. I think that the madder will grow well there as everything else that we are growing there so far is growing well.

In this area there is natural dyeing being done with cotton which is interesting as most of Thailand has switched over to modern chemical dyes.

Growing madder and getting nice colors will straightforward but finishing fabric so that it is colorfast will take some experimenting. Some of the dyeing done with cotton may have some finishing techniques which I can adopt to madder.

Madder will give a range of reds, oranges and almost yellow. Indigo grows very well so that will give another color. Earth type brown tones can also be done naturally.

8 people like this.
  8. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

Same here. I am on the other side of the globe and cannot sleep...

9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Interesting experiment! But since apparently illegal because it's damaging to the environment, aren't you concerned about that? What exactly makes the process so damaging?

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

menswear > environment

2 people like this.
  11. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think that you have misunderstood - this is a project for us based on a love for the environment and history and elegant style.

We have no plans to us the old UK style of madder production and at no time have we suggested it. You can research UK environmental law if you would like more details.

Instead we have traditionally (as in over 100s of years) used natural dies in our family dyeing and weaving tradition.

Currently we use a wide range of fabrics ranging from modern chemical dyes on jacquard looms to hand woven hand dyed fabrics.

If we start using natural madder root as a dye it will be in a traditional hand crafted process not a modern factory system.

Growing madder is time consuming but the real challenge is finishing - and we are still working on this.

1 person likes this.
  12. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Menswear Rules Everything Around Me

2 people like this.
  13. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

OK, thanks for clearing that up!

14. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

A bit late, but I couldn't find this infographic yesterday. You may find it interesting:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Dolla dolla bills ya'll....?

16. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

This is how we do it.

17. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

What do you mean by cliche? I mean, something either looks good or bad, right?

Sincerely curious.

18. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Cliche might not be the right word. If something works you go with it, but in my experience the dark shirt light jacket doesn't always work. Sometimes it looks totally douchey, and sometimes it looks fantastic. But the guys who end up looking douchey think they are the coolest thing in the world. I'm just not sure I'm sophisticated enough judge on me what wold look douchey vs what would work.

19. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Douchiness is at least 70% attitude. I can see from halfway around the world you're not a douchy character, so I imagine you'd be in the clear. :thumbs-up:

1 person likes this.
  20. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Thanks! [​IMG]