1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Bloody colonials, eh?

Cheers,

Ac ([​IMG])

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

The whole "keep your jacket on at all times thing" is great in theory. I do it at most social functions, but I'm not going to keep my coat on while sitting behind a desk.

4 people like this.
  3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I do it every day.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Same. I also don't mind looking a bit unkempt

5. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

My jacket stays on when I'm at work, standing or sitting.

The only exception would be if I'm wearing a vest, and then only if I'm in my office.

Cheers,

Ac

6. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

I take my jacket off like a stripper who needs cash real bad.

1 person likes this.
  7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I take my jacket off when I'm at work. Not a single person in my office works with a jacket on, and I don't want to be the exception.

If I am outside the office, I prefer to keep it on. But sometimes it is very hot outside.

8. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Be the exception.

1 person likes this.
  9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, I don't think I'm going to jump on the Massdrop x Panta buy.

I'm not feeling the neat patterns with tweed SCs. They will be very nice ties with flannel suits, but I'd prefer a larger medallion challis, herringbone, striped wool, or PoW check with tweed.

Crazy? Do you have examples as counterexamples?

Helden's post in that thread is probably the right way to do it, namely navy SC. But I guess I want something to go with tweedy coats.

Edit: only time I take my jacket off at work is when it's really hot outside and I need to quickly cool down when I get into the office. But once I've cooled down, it goes back on.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

You know, I have put forth my theory elsewhere, but I am a big fan of adhering to social norms and working within those norms. I am a junior associate, and not a single person wears their jacket when they are in the office. I think it would be imprudent to go outside of the norm. I love clothes... But I need my job :).

2 people like this.
  11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

You'll get fired for wearing a jacket in the office?

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Of course not, but I have never seen the point of standing out for the sake of standing out.

2 people like this.
  13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Agree with Newcomer. Standing out to stand out also seems to be the modus operandi of those who don't want to wear proper black tie / want to wear a pink "tuxedo" to prom. I think it wise to look one's best while being cognizant of relevant social norms.

1 person likes this.
  14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

There are a lot of days when I only wear my jacket for about an two hours of the workday.....and that's fine by me.

2 people like this.
  15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Obviously, do what's comfortable for you wrt jacket on indoors.

Found this as I searched for madders (Cappelli, worn by RDiaz who seems to have gone on to better internet pastures).

[​IMG]

I'm finding the pattern to be a bit too flat in some of the fabrics that were chosen in the Massdrop run (and yes, I voted for some of these).

[​IMG]

From a distance, looks a bit flat to me, not enough differentiation in the elements (green and brown) cf. the rust below (and the brown too) where the elements are more distinctive.

[​IMG]

I'm glad it seems like a success (58 units sold, it seems). Still not sure about it myself.

2 people like this.
  16. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

^ You academics....stop overthinking it! That's the one I bought and it's going to be great.

1 person likes this.
  17. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Well, I can't speak for your line of business nor your office of course, but as an employer I'm always on the lookout for guys who dare to stand out a little. Just sayin'.

@RDiaz is a man with good taste. IIRC, he was fairly limited in his budget, but that didn't stop him from looking very stylish indeed.

18. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

If you guys didn't wear Suits/SC's to work, if you only wore them during your personal life, I wonder what you'd be content with in terms of the size of your wardrobes? I've been slowly putting together a small wardrobe over the last couple of years. I need a couple pairs of pants, a few shirts, a few ties, a couple pairs of shoes (I'm figuring ~$3K all together as the shoes will be Vass) and then I'll feel like I've hit the plateau of a small but complete (I'll have shoes, pants and ties that go with my 5 SC's and 1 Navy Suit) wardrobe from which I can plug in a new SC/Suit from time to time.

I like the idea of 3 S/S 'city' SCs, 6 F/W 'city' SC's and maybe 1 'country', and 3 suits, 1 navy and 2 grey with all the corresponding trousers, shoes, etc to not be wearing the same outfit every time I take the Missus out to dinner downtown. After the above shopping list I'll have about half of that in my closet and may stop at just that until I'm sure that I'm getting use out of what I own now.

1 person likes this.
  19. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

You'll never be free with that type of thinking.

1 person likes this.
  20. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Senior member

I love neat-print madders without reservation. It's Brummell in reverse-- bringing the town to the country.

My own humble example:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.