• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jssdc

Reaction score

Sooner or later, Bruce Jenner os going to be mentioned.

Then again, I only found out who he is two days ago.

I had to google him, but wouldn't feel any distress if he failed to make it into this discussion.

Thanks for letting me know, I'm starting this wardrobe essentially from scratch so sorry for any ignorance on my part.

Wear 3-5 times per week. Working in an IT building. Dress code is casual, co-workers wear from jeans and polo's to chinos and buttons ups/downs (have yet to see anyone in tie or sport coat, but that's probably because it's Florida and 93 degrees out).

No strict budget in mind, just looking for reasonably priced, quality clothing. As with most things, clothing has diminishing returns on cost, so I was hoping to get pointed towards that sweet spot on the curve. If I had to guess, I'd say $50-100per for a few shirts and $50-150per for a few trousers sounds reasonable, but this is what I'm mostly looking for advice on.

I've heard of Brooks Brothers, Land's End, and Charles Tyrwhitt (have a few of their dress shirts for use with my suit, but they seem a bit too formal for pairing with chinos) as places to watch for deals (looks like Land's End is doing a 25% promo currently). Also, was considering trying either itailor.com, mytailor.com, or moderntailor.com if you guys would recommend any of those.

I did just order some Allen Edmonds shoes/belts in merlot and tan if that helps at all.

Thank you for taking the time to help. :inlove:  

How many season are there where you live?

Sane

Reaction score
How many season are there where you live?

2: Warm and hot, lol.
rolleyes.gif

It's bright and sunny year round, winters dip into the mid-high 60's on their worst days of the year (which you can count on one hand). Most of the year is mid 80's to mid 90's. However, I've lived here long enough that I can (and often do) wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts even in 90's. The heat doesn't bother me and I've never much been a fan of short pants or t-shirts outside of extremely casual environments.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sane, with your target prices, it shouldn't be difficult to find a wide variety of items to meet your needs. J Crew, Gap, Banana Republic, Lands End, Brooks, etc. will all have decent chinos and business casual shirts. Focus on fit. Stay away from excessively baggy or tight items.

You might actually want to ask this same question over in Streetwear & Denim for less mainstream suggestions which would be professional but offer a bit more character.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2: Warm and hot, lol.
rolleyes.gif

It's bright and sunny year round, winters dip into the mid-high 60's on their worst days of the year (which you can count on one hand). Most of the year is mid 80's to mid 90's. However, I've lived here long enough that I can (and often do) wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts even in 90's. The heat doesn't bother me and I've never much been a fan of short pants or t-shirts outside of extremely casual environments.
jcrew, uniqlo and brooks brothers are really good options when you catch them on sale.

if you want higher quality, there are many SF affiliates that offer great products at a reasonable price.

for shoes, AE is a great choice, especially in the US since you can try a variety of sizes and last shapes in-store.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
I almost $hit my pants today. Went shopping and was supposed to go to just Zara but someone decided to take a detour to LV. The bag that this someone wanted was $4,400. This wud have been a 2nd bag from LV from that price range. Thank goodness I was able to yank her outta that store. But with that someone's bday looming next week, I might be doomed already.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I almost $hit my pants today. Went shopping and was supposed to go to just Zara but someone decided to take a detour to LV. The bag that this someone wanted was $4,400. This wud have been a 2nd bag from LV from that price range. Thank goodness I was able to yank her outta that store. But with that someone's bday looming next week, I might be doomed already.

You have fun with that. My wife flipped when I bought her a $300 purse....she said that was a crazy amount for a purse and returned it. :slayer:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife and I are both bargain hunters. We buy last season's stuff at highly reduced prices. That way we have enough money left that I can occasionally get her something like a diamond bracelet on a whim. She occasionally gets me guns.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez, didn't even know LV can go that high. I thought 2k was as high as it goes for a typical bag. Most of their signature totes or whatever it's called is about one grand...

4 grand is pretty much chanel status....

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You forgot plumbing.

Forgot who posted that episode but the sight of those burst pipes cannot be unseen. Scarred for life...

You have fun with that. My wife flipped when I bought her a $300 purse....she said that was a crazy amount for a purse and returned it. :slayer:

She is a treasure. :)
(She knows about Formosa, Ring and such? And is fine with it?)

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
We both hate Chanel. There are just way too many fakes out there. Now, she said that four grand on a LV is way too much and decided to pass on it. I think I will be okay with just a $1,500 Burberry for her bday. She usually shops are Zara and JCrew but sometimes she goes off a tangent and goes LV, Tory Burch, etc. Bday is coming and I am scurrrrrred

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

She occasionally gets me guns.

This belongs in the 'Creepy Sartorial Images Thread', just without the images.

Geez, didn't even know LV can go that high. I thought 2k was as high as it goes for a typical bag. Most of their signature totes or whatever it's called is about one grand...

4 grand is pretty much chanel status....

You know your stuff...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads