1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

While true, what about additions such as hand sewn button holes and the like? Do they add anything other than craftsmanship?

2. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

So if they're still lined, the unlined tips are purely to show off the ancient thirst? [​IMG]
    Slip stitch was the term I was looking for, thanks.

Aesthetics mostly, a hand made hole is better to look at (ahem...)
    Perhaps there's also some benefit durability wise, I wouldn't know TBH.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

To be clear, an unlined tie pretty much necessitates no tipping, in my understanding (I'm thinking 7-fold, etc.). Correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean, when I get around to buying some Drake's madder ties I'll have to just accept the lack of tipping because of how good the ties are otherwise. But the more I wear my handrolled Macclesfield from Hober, the less I like it.

4. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

Playing devil's advocate mostly. I do love my hand roll untipped ties but I am annoyed sometimes of the fragility and added precaution necessary while handling.

1 person likes this.
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah well you can definitely see that the backs aren't white of the printed silks so extra SF street cred for not using the fabled ink jet fabrics that a certain Mr Cerruti has been known to peddle as vintage.

You can also still make a very light lined but un-tipped tie with a 36oz printed silk or a light linen/silk that would be a lot heavier self-tipped. Of course it won't keep you cooler in summer but if everything else is light and airy no reason why a tie can't be either.

2 people like this.
  6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

There's a functional benefit for some tiny minority of people who actually would roll up their jacket sleeves rather than take off their jacket. Otherwise, I think they are more for show at this point. My general view is that I won't pay extra to have them done but if they are included in the price of a garment (like a MTM suit or sport coat), I like to have them. It's one of those things that used to have more of a function but stayed on as a piece of tradition after its functional purpose no longer applied. Who knows; perhaps one day we'll get non-working buttonholes on the bottom button of suit jackets, though I kind of hope this doesn't happen.

7. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

I understand the utility of functioning button holes (or the antiquated utility). I was more arguing hand sewn vs machine sewn. That goes for any button holes, not just the sleeves.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not sure that Elio's Heavy and Fancy Silk Standard For Quality Ties was a universal thing. A hardy silk with a printed motif is neither cheap nor flimsy.

I appreciate the craftsmanship of the rolled edge on ties and handkerchiefs, but the presence or absence of such would not, er, tip the scales of my purchasing decision. Self-tipped, untipped, contrast-tipped are likewise non-decisive factors for me. Design, materials, and the quality of the knot are really the only criteria.

4 people like this.
  9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

This, of course.

The 'Heavy and Fancy Silk Standard For Quality Ties' was very likely not universal, though quite a common point of view back when I started dabbling in menswear, in the 1990s. But possibly that was just in reaction to those awful Hermes prints of the preceding decade...

(Yes, I do sound like a grumpy old man today...)

1 person likes this.
  10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

On a completely unrelated note - any Noo Yawkers here? I'm going to be in NYC next week. Maybe we could do a bit of an SF meet-up for drinks or what-not.

11. archibaldleach

That's all right. I sound like a grumpy old man most days.

2 people like this.
  12. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Looking for combination advise. The jacket is silk/linen in medium tobacco brown.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking darker colors (northern lights look).

1 person likes this.
  13. archibaldleach

^ I feel northern lights tends to work best with slightly lighter jackets. I think cream, tan and light grey would all look good. Really dark odd trousers just do not strike me as summery, which the jacket clearly is.

2 people like this.
  14. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Light grey or white i think is the best way to pair that jacket up. If you want to be adventurous you could do a really light blue as well

1 person likes this.
  15. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

This. I imagine Justin means shades off white here ala cream/ ecru/ stone etc. Sure, pure white ofc could work but the cleaning challenges for anyone without a butler is truly daunting (speaking as someone with a pair of pure white heavy linen which i only once or twice every summer for fear of incurring stains).

16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Tan works. Or green.

Go earthy

1 person likes this.
  17. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tan trou, green tie

---

Two shirts on the way from Luxire (I mentioned them about a month ago...I don't rush when there is no need to do so). Almost got them with button down collars. I got to the point in the process where I was talking to Luxire about the different types of BD collars. But I looked through a hundred or so archived images of outfits I like and found only three outfits with BD collars, so I opted to get spread for the two. Figured that I clearly would be happier with spread (as I archive images I like without any conscious thought to my preferences)

1 person likes this.
  18. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

In the Luxire thread a few weeks ago, I posted the measurements for the three most common BD collars they had, and the type of fusing/interlining, if you're interested.

19. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Off white trousers + light blue OCBD & mid brown loafers - so simple and yet so elegant.

4 people like this.
  20. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member