1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

No, sorry, unclear: I meant in addition to grey, since that's what he'd already mentioned.

1 person likes this.
  2. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

You're right, it can look good in some situations besides grey. Had I a tan or brown suit I'd pair it with that.

3. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I agree, but I'd keep the shirt and opt for a tie that's lighter in tone.

@dazedstate I think your instincts are pretty good but both the shirt and tie each introduce a somewhat difficult pairing proposition. I have a similar pink checked shirt that I like to wear with reds and burgundies, and forest green solid ties are surprisingly difficult to wear well since they don't differentiate much from navy, yet they are too stark a contrast for most any other jacket that isn't brown.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    3 people like this.
  4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Black grenadine grossa ties are a lot more versatile and useful than people think. I wouldn't wear mine with brown shoes and prefer midnight blue or navy with a tan suit, but otherwise it's a great tie.

5. kulata

kulata Senior member

Have you considered black knits? They are more useful for odd jackets IMO

1 person likes this.
  6. kulata

kulata Senior member

Fit issues with the jacket 1. Could use a lower buttoning point (watch out for that in your next purchase/commission) 2. Chest is tight 3. Sleeves needs to be rotated a bit to clean up how they fall 4. Jacket collar is loose 5. Shirt collar points are short 6. Pants can be further hemmed, though it's a personal preference Color combo You are trying a difficult combination with the pink shirt and green tie. The combo can work but with the right items. I'd rather you try it with a pink university stripe oxford shirt, a knit tie and a mid blue jacket. Avoid wearing plaid shirts with ties until you are comfortable with your personal style. I don't really like the use of the white square in this look. You are going for a high risk colorful and bothering on pitti look so the staid PS just seems out of place. The overall look comes across as inauthentic.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    3 people like this.
  7. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Since we're talking about knits, I have the black knit from the Knottery and the weave is loose enough where there is a significant amount of transparency in the tie. Is this a normal or even desirable trait in a knit tie? I don't have much experience with them.

8. kulata

kulata Senior member

I have the same tie but don't have the same reservations. Wear without care

1 person likes this.
  9. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have seen pink and green combos that I've very much enjoyed from some on WAYWRN. Braddock comes to mind.

@heldentenor I thought this shade of green to be versatile when I purchased it but I'm finding your opinion to be correct. Any ideas on better pairings for green gren fina like this?

@kulata do you think that the loose jacket collar can be remedied by letting out the chest a bit?

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I wear a forest green grenadine pretty frequently with a grey suit as well as a navy blazer (with either grey or coffee colored trousers). This is the only picture I could find, which is unfortunately just the top block:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

I think forest green solid grenadine tie is a very versatile tie. I don't have one but i have a green 'patterned' grenadine and three forest green knits (crunchy, zig-zag and dotted knit) and i use them fine with grey (mid& light-greys rathern than oxford/charcoal), navy, blue and especially shades of brown jackets.

Pink shirts and green ties work - personally i find them too collegiate. But if i must don that combination, i have to one of them patterned.

1 person likes this.
  12. kulata

kulata Senior member

Not so sure. That'll be a tailoring thread question.

I kinda figured you were trying to replicate a look but that hardly works without understanding why the look works and you can adopt it with your wardrobe. When you look at Braddock's jacket, it has a more relaxed and casual cut with patch pockets and probably lapped seams and the color isnt business navy. This meshes well with the playful shirt and tie color combo. Your jacket is a bit more formal in every aspect and would look better with safer blues, whites and brown ties etc

1 person likes this.
  13. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

Ah yes, the classic navy blazer is perhaps a bit too formal. I have a dark blue linen sport coat that probably would have worked better. My thinking was though, that the twill shirt and fina tie would be too formal for a linen jacket.

14. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Light blue *oxford cloth shirt would work great.

1 person likes this.
  15. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

That is a nice look. I do not have a mid gray suit unfortunately. Would it work with a charcoal or glen plaid that resolves to mid gray?

16. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

Speaking of green ties, I'm rebuilding my tie collection and I'm torn. Kent Wang has beautiful forest green options in both grenadine and knit, anyone have a strong preference on which one is more essential to a slowly growing tie collection?

17. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Grenadine, for sure.

The caveat being if your need (workplace, etc) is a tie of a more casual nature. If that is the case, then opt for the knit.

18. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

My workplace is in the creative department of an ad agency, so the employees dress... Sporadically. However, I prefer to lean towards traditional business dress, if for no other reason in case a client happens to stop by.

Thanks for the advice! I'll pull the trigger on the grenadine.

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

My experience has been that I do not like the forest green grenadine with a solid shirt and prefer it with the one pictured or a pale blue university stripe dress shirt. The latter makes it difficult (but not impossible) to pair with a patterned suit. I have not tried it with a charcoal suit, but suspect it would depend on how dark the suit is. I'm sure there are others with more skill that can accomplish matching it successfully with these combinations.

1 person likes this.
  20. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Black grenadine with a sport coat seems fine but ... According to "the rules," as I understand them and should you care to follow them, a black tie means your belt can't be brown, which means your shoes can't be brown. Burgundy belt and #8 PTB seem OK, although the shoes are headed in a casual direction, whereas the tie is heading toward the formal end of the spectrum. A black knit would probably be better, but if it's a grossa, there might not be much visual difference.