1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

Textured solid - Navy/Burg Knit ftw!

2. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Even a repp would be too dressy for a fabric like that. That suit screams for a knit. Any colour goes: navy, burgundy, brown, green, black, mid-blue....

1 person likes this.
  3. calypso

calypso Senior member

thanks fellas :)
    a solid knit or grenadin it is.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I'm going with a rich, bottle green grenadine.

1 person likes this.
  5. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I'll cop to coming from a "repps with everything" kinda tradition.

1 person likes this.
  6. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

What do you guys think of these patterns for shirting?
    [​IMG]

7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

fugly, Darkside

1 person likes this.
  8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

They seem like something the Boardwalk Empire costumers might have chosen for one of Nucky's shirts. Not ugly, but very period.

9. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Looks like I have a thing or two to learn about shirting patterns and fabrics...

1 person likes this.
  10. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Cheat sheet: light blue and white bengal/university. Same pattern in red. Mid-blue pinstripes on white. Light blue or pink with white pinstripes. If you want two colors, try a check.

11. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Thank you! Any fabric and collar preferences?

12. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

1 person likes this.
  13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

That's situational. Nightmarishly, this great illustration calls a what I think of as bengal "candy," and uses "bengal" for what I think of as "butcher stripes."

http://putthison.com/post/29484681861/patterned-and-textured-shirts-as-long-time

Collar and fabric depend on what you like to wear. I dress casually (tweed, hopsack, and flannel), and in a sorta American idiom, so I wear a lot of oxford buttondowns. If you wear Italian worsted suits, then it makes sense to look at poplin or end-on-end spread collars (dressier collar, dressier cloth). I don't think I'd seek out poplin or end-on-end buttondowns, though I do own a few for summer casual wear, but I would track down oxford or pinpoint spread collars. But generally, if you did buttondowns in casual cloth (oxford, linen blends maybe pinpoint), and non-buttondowns (whatever degree of spread you like) in poplin and end-on-end, you'd be set, unless you don't like buttondown collars with a tie, in which case you should do some spreads in casual cloth. I myself want some more shirts like that: I'd like to start wearing more spread collars in place of my OCBDs.

You didn't ask about this, but the one thing I wish I'd been told earlier about striped shirts is the importance of contrast. A dark blue stripe on white is way harder to wear than a light blue one:

This is starting to fight with the tie:

[​IMG]
    ... but this is a lot easier to pair with patterned ties...
    [​IMG]
    ... and it ends up working with more stuff even though the pattern is about the same scale. Actually, I stay away from high-contrast stripes when they're "symmetrical" like that, but I will wear a fairly high-contrast pinstripe on white.

I admit, I'm giving you "safe" advice. I take more risks than this in some of what I wear (I have a self-striped lavender shirt, an ecru with stripes in two shades of brownish gray, and one or two fancy-striped Turnbull & Asser-ish shirts), but those have been thrift finds (and thus impulse buys), rather than carefully considered purchases.

1 person likes this.
  14. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

If you have about 50 shirts in your wardrobe? Sure, rock the funky shirt man! Otherwise, i'd avoid.

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

@calypso , I like a repp too - maybe a shantung, and I'm also a pervert who wears madder neats in the summer. But the safe and awesome choice against blue and grey is a burgundy grenadine: perfect contrast, summery-casual texture, yet solid and formal enough not to look like a caricature. As the jacket has a pattern, a solid but textured tie is probably just the right level of visual interest, and the warmth of a rich burgundy will lift the whole picture against the cool colours you already have.

@Darkside , oh hell no. The finer the stripe, the easier to wear, and one colour stripe is plenty. White or light blue solid, blue micro-stripe, light pink solid, blue Bengal stripe...formal shirts in order of priority as basics! Also, in the summer especially I like a blue micro-check too. Like stripes, the finer the check, the easier to wear. And a normal spread collar is never wrong with a suit or jacket - just enough for the tips to sneak under the lapels for a smooth look.

@Claghorn , come on big boy, show us your piece.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  16. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Hang in there, Yoda*. This is Styleforum. Euphemism, double entendre and awkward homoeroticism are some of the many vital pillars on which this community is built.

*(I bet you didn't know anyone reads your name as "El Yoda").

6 people like this.
  18. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

[​IMG]

19. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

LOL! Indeed I didn't, but I've changed my avatar accordingly.

6 people like this.
  20. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Thanks for all the GNA guys. This shirting conversation actually coincided with my first Proper Cloth project arriving today (the revised fit version). Hope it's not too fugly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.