1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I tried and threw in the towel. I hope you find your look and succeed in doing so

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

The variety can be great, but also daunting if you don't know your style/what you want.

If youre having fun, whats the problem?

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I'm getting there.

There is none that I can see!

4. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

If you can budget $350, I'd take a really close look at Carmina, either direct from their webstore or through the AV skoaktiebolaget (or spaghettibolognese, as I refer to them in my head). I've just placed my first order and can't comment on the finished product firsthand, but so far, they're great to deal with and the reports here on SF are quite positive.

Can you tell us how CBD your context is?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

No relation to Vox AFAIK. Can't be 100% sure, as I have no idea who he is.

I don't peel potatoes, just wash them thoroughly. It's possible there are varieties of potato whose skin one should not eat, but I don't know any. I do throw out potatoes which have started to turn green. Hope this helps.

I've looked at his tumblr a couple of times. I don't use Twitter or follow anyone on Twitter.

All of those "hey everyone, it's me! it's me!" sites I find to be fairly pointless. I do have my own tumblr page, which I couldn't be bothered updating.

6. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

We're all related![​IMG]

7. venividivicibj

Really liking this square

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

^ I love that square as a square. In a fit, I would always be concerned that it looked like I'd spilled coffee on my white linen square. Then again, my anxieties don't have to be your anxieties.

9. venividivicibj

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I was looking at it as an alternative to the cream silk square or a white linen. Something light/not heavily patterned, wont draw the attention, but will still improve the overall outfit.

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]
    I like

2 people like this.
  11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

@Monkeyface must be very near to nirvana now.

Wot Noodles, you still around? I thought you were too busy complaining about us on that DW forum.

2 people like this.
  12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Me too. Here's the Hong Kong Bank of China square, if it's any help vvv.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  13. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

I like Kimber squares (have two of them) - especially the generous 45cm size which is very very difficult to find these days. My only quibble is the 'watercolour' motif, dialled down on the vibrancy scale.

14. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

Originally Posted by Mr. Six [​IMG]

Quote:
    Of all the jackets I've seen on SF, that one is now tied with one of Claghorn's as the one I'd most like to have. I don't know anything about the fabric but I'm really digging the color and pattern (and I'm sure it's a very nice fabric also).

1 person likes this.
  15. venividivicibj

So no love for the one I linked?

Anyone else find that finding ties/PS is much harder for charcoal suit vs a navy

16. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

I like your linked PS. Speaking of which, I met Shaya at his recent trunk show when i was in LDN and we talked a little about Kimber and the printing of his squares and why he shifted production to Italy instead of continuing in England as he didn't get the printing specs he wanted.

I agree with you about finding optimal choices for Charcoal suits. I find i often go without a PS for charcoal suits and when i bother it is often a linen, maybe linen with border; rarely silk. I find the sombriety of a charcoal/dark gray suit demands it. Then again, on the other hand i contradict myself somewhat by wearing shades of pink and maroon stripes with a dark-gray suit for some injection of colour.

My tie choices too are equally sombre and it is all shades of gray/silver and blue/navy. I did get a light green (with white ground) which i found works with a white shirt and charc.suit.

tl;dr Yes, Navy suit, i find is often more fun to play with.

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

The opposite, actually.

18. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

If you are in the US, Kent Wang may be your best bet since you can return them if sizing doesn't work out. However, I think the best deal is Carmina at the moment if you can somehow find your size in the appropriate last. I technically don't currently own a brown a pair of brown oxfords since I sold off my brown Allen Edmonds Park Aves. I actually am in the process of replacing them with a pair of dark brown suede Carmina oxfords, which I think are more versatile anyway.

I am also contemplating selling the rest of my AEs that are not boots.

19. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

[quote name="EliodA"
    Wot Noodles, you still around? I thought you were too busy complaining about us on that DW forum.[/quote]
    PM sent.

1 person likes this.
  20. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

A thread talking about quality men's shoes under $500 that might be of some use:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/434716/quality-mens-shoes-under-500

1 person likes this.