1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

^ looks good enough to eat.

In other food-related news, I finally nailed the roast potatoes this evening.

Coxy's thrice-cooked potatoes

Transfix whole washed Dutch Cream potatoes with a skewer in at least three places. Put in microwave on "high" for 5-6 minutes to parboil them. They should still be firm and not fully cooked-through.

Now crazy-cut them into medium pieces with sharp corners. Deep-fry in cooking oil of your choice until said corners turn golden. Drain on kitchen paper.

Partially crush the potato nuggets and then place in deep heavy ceramic baking tray with goose fat and fresh rosemary sprigs. Season heavily with freshly-ground salt and black pepper. Put in pre-heated oven at 250 degrees Celcius for ten minutes, then reduce heat and toss occasionally, until ready to serve.

n.b. I do not peel my potatoes. Most of the nutrients and fibre are in the skin, and the above method maximally preserves those nutrients.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I'm searching for the following Drake's shantung tie, any idea where one might purchase it?
    [​IMG]

There's also its sibling, but I prefer the red/burgundy.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. mimo

mimo Senior member

4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Yeah, difficult to see on those pics. Here another try. What I'd like to replicate is the stitching on the sole welt. AFAIK, this is Norvegese/Goyser:

[​IMG]

Edit: @Coxsackie I'm definitely going to try your roasted potatoes recipe!

5. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I'm actually trying to decide between these two! I feel that the white stripes are to pronounced on the Conrad Wu version, though, no?

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Don't let your jealousy show too much. Was cox incorrect? Vox did elevate menswear and provided an inspiration for many. Sure he had tons of insider jokes and 'witty' remarks. Doesn't mean he wasn't one of the most influential posters to ever write on SF.

Jack purcells (converse)I believe

1 person likes this.
  7. venividivicibj

And yes, the goyser through Vass is pretty rustic, it's beautiful, but meant for rather casual, or business/casual shoes.

1 person likes this.
  8. kulata

kulata Senior member

Thanks man!

Vox has been a great resource with fit pics and well thought out write-ups.

9. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

can you link me to the coherence blurb? I've searched for it before but was unable to find it.

I've always thought his buttoning point was a bit high, but he does have style few can match.

10. venividivicibj

http://web.archive.org/web/20120711...oughts-on-coherent-combinations-for-beginners

F Corbera was vox's second handle/username.

He left SF a short while after posting this, and the guide was removed

1 person likes this.
  11. venividivicibj

Ask one of the armoury guys, they can find out (do trunk shows with drakes, owned by same company,etc)

1 person likes this.
  12. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

Thanks! Didn't know he had a second username. I've always wondering his reasons for leaving—did he just get bored? It's clear he still lurks here sometimes based on his tumblr, though. I also never understood why he edited out so many of his posts.

13. TM79

TM79 Senior member

SF kept going through the same endless cycles. The same people argued the same things into the ground - basically, the same thing that happens now except I think the old crew was more harsh with their wording. This is more like, as Bret Easton Ellis would call it, the Generation Wuss of StyleForum.

Anyways, a lot of the members who have long since gone or who only post in the unfunded liabilities thread most likely just got bored with the site after a while.

Foo, Vox, Doc, T4phage, Dopey, and a bunch of others all seem to fall into that category.

14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ True, though I feel Foo for awhile was still starting one epic thread per year.

15. venividivicibj

Lots of them move to non-CM forums.. I still see manton in a lot of the cooking threads. Foo is active in the architechture/threads about buying stuff for houses. T4Phage is in the meccariello thread, and some of the lesser known european makers.

16. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

Mr. Cox...any relation to Vox?

Anyhow, re ''n.b. I do not peel my potatoes. Most of the nutrients and fibre are in the skin, and the above method maximally preserves those nutrients.''. Do you really eat the skin of every type of potato?

17. venividivicibj

I think lots of the old threads debate more about regional style and preferences than fit. See whnay good taste, lots of the epic threads about drape, etc. All about style.

18. kulata

kulata Senior member

It was mostly my bespoke is greater than your bespoke or my tailor is the grand poobah of tailoring etc etc and a lot of people cheering. But within those drivel, you get a lot of useful information

19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

95% of his posts were "insider" jokes or reference jokes. So funny.

20. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

Personally, i never knew much (if at all) about glory-hole clientele until i came across FNB's post on it.