1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. colco

colco Senior member

I own three blazers with metal buttons. I wear them regularly. One is close to 20 years old (Brooks Brothers), one is bespoke and one I thrifted. I also live in the Northeast, where they are fairly ubiquitous compared (it seems) to other parts of the world, though I have seen a lot of men wearing them in the Southeast, which is where I travel more than anywhere else. I also own blue jackets with horn and MOP buttons. I plan to acquire a double breasted navy blue blazer with the shiniest buttons I can find :)
    I have never been told I dress like an old man (though I'd take it as a compliment), didnt' go to an Ivy league school, nor have I ever belonged to a country club. I understand that they are not to everyone's taste, but the connotations seem rather provincial to me.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    3 people like this.
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Ok, you are nuts.

3. Caustic Man

Bingo.

4. colco

colco Senior member

Destroyed a nice lightweight unlined Samuelsohn earlier this summer in this manner.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

A couple of quick comments:

I dislike flap pockets on odd jackets. I don't dislike them on other people as long as there are other things making it clear the jacket isn't an orphan (texture, pattern, etc). I don't mind them on a suit, and though I would opt for jetted if I'm ever getting a slightly more conservative suit made, flaps wouldn't stop me from buying a RTW suit. I might tuck, I might not. But it's a pretty low priority to me.

-----

As far as the blazersuit: I can't speak to why others buy them, but I can speak to my own motivation. I rarely wear suits, and when I do, I like them to be at least slightly more casual. I only own five blazer suits in the sense that I commissioned them with the intention to mostly wear the jacket as a separate (navy, blue, mid blue, navy windowpane, and green). But I have a number of other suits whose pants get much less wear than their jackets (a navy flannel, brown houndstooth, tan herringbone tweed off the top of my head). I only have two suits that I would be uncomfortable wearing their jacket as a separate, and one, a light gray, I generally wear the pants as separates. The other is a blue gray with brown windowpane.

So I guess I just think of pants as an after thought. It's nice to have them there and if I'm already at the tailor or I'm already at the store or I'm already about to click, why not get something with pants too?

-----

Metal buttons: I don't like them. They just seem out of date, though that could be due to a lack of exposure. The RTW Huntsman I bought off a member here had metal buttons originally (I think he was planning on removing them as well until he found out the fit was off). I had them removed pretty quickly and replaced with brown horn. I can't think of a jacket that wouldn't look better with MoP instead of metal if someone wanted to deviate from the standard horn/nut.

2 people like this.
  6. colco

colco Senior member

does anyone else swap buttons periodically on jackets?

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I've never swapped buttons on a jacket. I can see myself doing it for a casual navy or RAF suit if I wore the pants out and wanted to make it more clearly odd-jacket-esque, but I can't really see myself doing it in many other contexts.

8. Caustic Man

When I was looking for a navy blazer with MOP buttons someone suggested taking my blazer with brass buttons and simply switching them out every summer and back every fall. This seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Ill assume this was answered, but in case it wasn't, Doing The Other, as in, an homage.

Yeah, my work and personal schedule changed a lot, leaving me way less time for SF. Which incidentally makes this thread almost impossible to follow. I miss a few days and its a almost a couple hundred new posts. A week, might be close to 500 or more new posts. I cant get myself to go through it all, so I kinda fell off the Noodle wagon. Now I just like to pop in from time to time to say hey to mah bois here.

2 people like this.
  10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

: (

11. in stitches

12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

4 people like this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, it's okay not to like flaps, but not to like flapped patch pockets is nuts?

14. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I don't get the flap hate. I think patches are incongruous on the most formal/conservative of suits, and besom/jetted pockets look strange on country or informal jackets, but otherwise, pockets don't get me excited one way or the other.

2 people like this.
  15. Caustic Man

No, to like patch pockets and not like flapped patch pockets is nuts.

16. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Guess I'm nuts, but y'all knew that already. Never cared for flapped patch.

1 person likes this.
  17. Caustic Man

18. in stitches

I think Im with helden here. Flap, besom, patch, they all have a place. No reason to discount any out of hand imo.

3 people like this.
  19. Caustic Man

I am beginning to believe that the most personal preference a person can have is to understand that there is a place for everything, and indeed everything has its place. Except black blazers...

1 person likes this.
  20. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

If I were positioning this as a rule, or even a guideline, I would understand the reaction, but I'm expressing a personal preference. Like not wanting to wear loafers or dubs or white bucks.

I like flapped patch pockets on overcoats, so there's that.

3 people like this.