1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Thanks, guys.

Cheers,

Ac

2. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

Can tailors put functional buttonholes on a sleeve with relative ease? I'm thinking that way, you could get it shortened from the end and still have your buttonholes.

3. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I'm pretty sure that all of SS's jackets come with functional sleeve buttons. Hence my question.

Cheers,

Ac

4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Have you read Ac's question?

5. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

I'm having the sleeves of a more casual cotton blazer shortened from the top and I believe my tailor said something about it necessitating the armholes coming up and being narrowed slightly, which makes sense given that sleeves are tapered. I supposed if there is extra fabric in the sleeve this may not be the case, but then you'd have to let some fabric out the whole way down I'd also assume. Shrug. I'm bad with 3D things.

I'll try to remember to ask him for more details when I go back to pick it up.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    2 people like this.
  6. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

I wasn't asking in relation to Ac's question about SuSu necessarily, just in general.

7. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Theoretically, you can reweave the old buttonhole and make a new one. I imagine it depends on how much extra fabric there is left to reweave the buttonhole. Also, the cost might be more than the coat is worth.

1 person likes this.
  8. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

A word on reweaving. I've had a pinhole repaired by a reputable reweaver. It cost 98 dollars... for a pinhole... The job was excellently done but you can tell that it has been repaired. I have to imagine that something as large as a button hole would be considerably more expensive, take considerable amounts of time, and be considerably noticeable.

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

That's too many considerables for me. I'm out.

3 people like this.
  10. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

I have had a Hudson and a Havana shortened from the shoulder. Havana was a linen silk blend. Hudson is a textured wool, almost a rough birdseye. not sure that matters other than to point out that neither were a complex check pattern which is where the real problem come from in matching. I took off about 1.5 inches or so, under 2 for sure. Hudson turned out well, sleeve pitch and volume work well. I had it done by my regular tailor and he reattached with Spalla camicia no problem. Was not cheap though, I did it b/c I loved the jacket. Havana was done subsequently, at SuSu. less successful in that the sleeve is now a little tight. I was willing to take a chance and see b/c it was an inexpensive seasonal jacket.

The tailor at SuSu talked me through it all. given their affinity for working cuffs, this is clearly an alteration they have gotten a lot of experience with. $75 charged at SuSu, my other tailor was more like $150

to summarize, it's doable but success depends on the style /sleeve volume and taper and possibly skill of the tailor. I would do it again with a jacket that had a generour enough sleeve volume and only for a jacket/suit i really loved.

1 person likes this.
  11. WillingToLearn

Another note, SuSu seems unwilling to do shoulder work on La Spalla and other models with spalla camicia, if I recall. As noted above, other (very skilled) tailors can and will do it.

1 person likes this.
  12. WillingToLearn

Seeking GNA.

I have ~6 suits and ~4-5 SCs I'd like to sell/get rid of for whatever I can get for them. Suits are all in good to great shape. All Tom James MTM, but I am effectively a 44L (yes I was one of those suckers years ago, go ahead and laugh). Is there any value there and if so, who can I get to sell it for me. I want to just box it up and send it to someone and get a check back in 6-8 weeks and am happy to pay the commission. I also have 3 pairs of Allen Edmonds in great shape (one pair has a brand new sole) to sell as well, again, I don't have time or desire to do the selling myself.

Thanks,

WTL

13. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

14. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Yeah. If you don't mind losing some money to a consignment fee, he's your guy.

15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

What's the % fee? Also, is there any way to say 'must be greater than $xxx price'?

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it's 40% and then he covers all fees and costs and such.

17. venividivicibj

Wow, a lot more than I thought it would be.

18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I could be very, very wrong.

19. venividivicibj

20. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

What size are the AEs?