1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

McDonald's is more consistent with their restaurants than Cappelli is with their products. [​IMG]
    What I mean is that if I order a freaking 3.5" tie, then it better be 3.5".
    When I brought to their attention that it was 3.55"~3.75", their response was a simple what do you want then?
    I said I want to return.
    They said, the width can change 1/2" or so. And you want to return your tie over 1/2"?????
    Sounded like they were scoffing at me.
    Inconsistency. If I order a freaking 3.5" then I expect a 3.5". If you can't be close, then might as well add a disclaimer to their website.
    I am just very unhappy with my experience and how they reacted when I brought up my concern.
    Finally, I just said forget it.
    This is solely my opinion and I am sure Cappelli is great to some people. Fine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ Hmmm, I thought you said yours was 3.55 on the dot... didn't know it actually turned out at 3.75 (as I had speculated it might be)

4. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

eh~ It's over and done with.
    All I am sharing is my experience with them. That's all.
    [​IMG]

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Cappelli does seem like he's a good guy, maybe it's worth sending another email? He did offer to remake the ties for this poster when he used lining that was too thick

http://www.styleforum.net/t/289105/e-g-cappelli-store-now-live/250_50#post_6713974

I do think that you to account for that .15 inches of extra width for future ties. That part is actually consistent. Seems to tack on some extra width. So if you order 3.35, you're actually going to get 3.5 (which was my case)

6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

That's cool. He probably is a nice guy. I can live with the tie. There are more important things in life than some tie.

2 people like this.
  7. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

Apparently Daniel Craig is only 178cm, the shortest Bond actor by a distance. Big shoulders and must take a massive drop on his suits, though. Good thing for him that he doesn't have to buy off the rack [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Sean Connery = Best James Bond
    Daniel Craig = Realistic(?) James Bond

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

These arrived too. Sweeteners :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I like them all. You have an eye for good ties.

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes he does.

JRD, did you ask Hober for the thinnest lining available? I don't know if you had already bowed out of the thread, but we figured out that Hober uses the same mill as Cappelli (Hober uses both, the grossa and fina from one and the other two from the other)

Also, do people buy Isaia lapel pins? Like....to pretend they're wearing Isaia?

I hate people.

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I rejoined. :D

I did indeed ask for the thinnest lining.

I'm not sure Hober and Cappelli use Fosseti. (U saw the comment from another member about the British mill that I posted)

1 person likes this.
  13. Claghorn

If you keep reading that thread, you'll see he was mistaken [​IMG]
    But provided the weaves are the same, I guess Cappelli uses a thinner lining. Good to know.

On another note, who buys Isaia lapel pins?

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

They're a big fucking deal on fleabay.

I like the look of them too. Cool color. Less frilly than a felt flower lapel decoration. And certainly cooler than a flagpin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Are those ties keepers or for sale, JRD? I like the one to the far right.

16. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

In the Hober thread, there's a very informative post about linings from David: http://www.styleforum.net/t/245529/a-sam-and-david-hober-tie-appreciation-thread/4470#post_6948285

There are some added thoughts on the last page. What I take from his detailed discussion is that the key is to match lining to fabric and not simply to have a light lining (as I had assumed). While I have not yet ordered a Hober tie, only a matter of time, what I take from David is that the aim is to convey what you want to the bespoke tie maker, and who then uses his/her expertise to achieve the effect (which will be one step in a process towards an ideal). I had questioned him about achieving the knot in this pic in a grenadine garza grossa (knot is a bit more tapered and elongated than my other ties...)

[​IMG]

David actually suggested a thicker lining to do so (which was counterintuitive to me). Anyway, will let you know how the first grenadine comes out, but do check out the Hober thread for David's thoughts.

17. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

2 people like this.
  18. Claghorn

JRD,

in the link, Hober also notes that there are occasionally specialty weaves of wool interlining that come out of England occasionally. Perhaps that's what the other poster was referring to when talking about Cappelli sourcing their grenadine fabric from England?

1 person likes this.
  19. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Hey guys, my navy jacket from Yoox came in this evening. I was hoping to get some guidance on what you guys think of the fit and styling etc. Is it a keeper or should I send it back? Also, if it is a keeper, what should I change the buttons to? I was thinking brown horn? Could anyone link me to a set on eBay they think are good? Thanks!

I apologize for the poor picture quality in the artificial lighting with a wife who does NOT want to be taking photographs of me right now. :p

Maker: Benci
    Fabric: Flannel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

The Cappelli grenadine material is softer. This is a fact. :D

The thinnest lined grenadine from Cap is also thinner than the thinnest lined grenadine from Hober. This is another fact. :D

It's all based on personal preference. It doesn't mean that Cappelli is innately superior to Hober. Don't know what else I can say.

2 people like this.